Subwoofer Upgrade - Suggestions

I know this is a loaded question, like asking car guys which oil is the best lol I'm just trying to see what some good options may be.

I've had a PSW505 for years now, was happy when I bought it and didnt have many complaints. The more I've upgrade my system though I have noticed a lack in quality it seems. Also having moved my HT out of the garage and into my living room as made a HUGE difference in air volume. Right now there's over 6100ft3 I have to worry about, 5700ft3 if I don't count my hallway. I'm not looking blow doors off by any means, but something to at least match my current quality set up and beyond, as well as my listening habits; I'm 95% a movie and video game kinda guy so I don't mind a loud sound stage.

With budget, I dont want to say "skies the limit" because the wife would kill me. For me its about quality and perceived outcome. Its an easier sell if I can demonstrate how much of a improvement it makes. I've been leaning towards SVS, but they have a lot to pick from. As much as I would love to plop $2000+ on an PB-16Ultra, that may be a bit out of my range. Outlaw recently had their Ultra-x13 for $999 and I almost pulled the trigger. Ideally if I can get away with a good sounding sub thats not a monolith in my living room that would be nice. But if sacrifices have to be made to get what I need, I may have to deal with it.

Anyone with hands on or personal experience with upgrading from a PSW505 to a real subwoofer is always welcomed. As always, appreciate everyone's help
Home Theater Setup
  • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
  • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
  • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
  • Center - Polk CSiA6
  • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
  • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
  • Sub - SVS PC-4000
  • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Instead of the ported box (PB16 ultra) you could go for the sealed box (SB16 ultra.) the sealed box versions are a lot smaller. You could also get the 13 ultra, or the smaller models. HSU also has several good options, although I don’t know enough about their lines to tell you what.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Have you read the first real subwoofer thread? Lots of folks went from a psw505 to an SVS or HSU and I’m pretty sure not one regret 😂.

If the wife will allow it, look at the cylinder options from SVS. Less floor space and supposedly better sound. I have thought about getting the PC-2000 and recovering it in fabric that matches my wife’s pillows in the living room.

And I owned similar subs to the PSW505 and went to an HSU and now an SVS (just because it’s front firing and fits in my built ins—wifey loves it), and yes it is definitely worth the upgrade.

At your budget I would seriously consider this:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited October 2018
    Most upgrade to the SVS, HSU, Velodyne subs, and nobody ever looks back. Way cheaper on the used markets too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Is ryrhmik a good option for HT? Seems like it’s geared more towards 2 channel but I’ve never heard one so I’m curious?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    According to their site the 12 inch sealed sub goes down to 18 Hz, while the 18 inch ported goes to 12 Hz.

I’ve heard their 15 inch sealed in a couple of 2-channel systems, and they really sound good. The aluminum cone sounds different than a pulp cone, not better or worse, just different. Don’t really think that would make a difference for HT.

In my limited experience, it’s seems that it’s easier to find a good sub HT than it is to find them that work well for music.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Based on the size of the room, your current system, movies & games and cost less than a comparable SVS; I’d go with the Rythmik FV15HP.

Also, give the sub companies a call and see what they recommend for you. Everyone has their favorites: SVS, HSU, Rythmik, Velodyne, Power Sound Audio, etc. + the uber expensive.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    SVS ftw
    Check their website in scratch and dent. 10-20% off for minor scratches.
    Got my SB16 ultra for $1799
    Even an SB2000 would kill the PSW for a little scratch.