HD Radio

Any of you have OTA HD radio hitting your rigs? If so, what component are you using to get it?

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Good question.

I would like to have a HD tuner but they are rather difficult to find.

I don’t really think the broadcast quality will actually be that great. Works good in cars but I question it in a high quality system.

McIntosh has the MR88 that is awesome but I can’t pull the trigger for the price.

Rotel had one. RT-1084. You can find them on eBay from time to time.

I have not studied them much but I know my dads Marantz reviver has built in HD.

Few others exists but the quality of the component is questionable.

If you find something let us know.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I recently picked up an HD (hybrid digital) Sangean tuner from a member of these august fora. :)

It sounds pretty good, but reception with my current (wussy) indoor antenna is marginal -- a solvable problem (albeit on I haven't yet tackled).

The Sony XDR-F1HD is (still) held to be the sine qua non, AFAIK -- there may be HD tuners in (aftermarket) car radios that are good, too.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I recently picked up an HD (hybrid digital) Sangean tuner from a member of these august fora. :)

It sounds pretty good, but reception with my current (wussy) indoor antenna is marginal -- a solvable problem (albeit on I haven't yet tackled).

The Sony XDR-F1HD is (still) held to be the sine qua non, AFAIK -- there may be HD tuners in (aftermarket) car radios that are good, too.

I got one of those Sony XDR-F1HD tuners off of Craig's list 6 months ago or more for 25.00 I think it was. I don't know where it is now. :#:s I need to find it asap.

It did sound very good when I got it home and tested it!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Tony M wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I got one of those Sony XDR-F1HD tuners off of Craig's list 6 months ago or more for 25.00 I think it was. I don't know where it is now. :#:s I need to find it asap.

It did sound very good when I got it home and tested it!

Let me know if you would like to sell it. I’ll pay well above $25.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Yeah me too. Wow $25
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Rotel HT-1084 in the rack at the warehouse. Clean and clear reception.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Rotel HT-1084 in the rack at the warehouse. Clean and clear reception.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I’m genuinely curious, why OTA radio? The only radio I listen to is the news in my car...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    you turn it on and it plays. Instantly when I use the soiled state Parasound tuna :)
    No clicks, no booting up. No cost, no un-desired changes in user interface or user experience.

I've yet to find an on-line way that does that.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I’m genuinely curious, why OTA radio? The only radio I listen to is the news in my car...

I like using the radio to listen to 89.9 FM... all kinds of jazz, and it doesn’t sound awful. Other than that, I don’t use radio.
  • joecoulson
    To add to Hardy's comments: I like some of the ATL stations and their track listings, I know I could track down all of the songs on streaming, but I forget how many great songs there were growing up and radio helps me track some of those lost gems down. Also, I like the local news casts and the GA State radio station os great for new local artists.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Radio Station DJ personalities are still nice to listen too. Most are funny and so informed with tidbits of behind the scenes info about songs and artists that you wouldn't know unless you're a diehard fan of those songs and artists.

I listen to the radio every night taking a shower. Some talk shows and some classic rock. It's great.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    well -- in total fairness -- most OTA radio stations stream content as well.
    This is a nice thing when one is away & wants to hear stuff from home (or vice versa).

But, dagnabbit Jim, I'm a doctor not an IT professional! :) A regular ol' analog radio (or tuner) is so darned easy to use.

4ebwqdtcvqzk.png
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I think that at least for me, HD radio would be pointless. I only use the radio if I want background music, or if I want to hear some new songs, and for neither of those things do I need the best sound quality. I like the tuner in my Lafayette quite a bit, and it is handy that it is alreayd being used as a phono stage, so just switch to tuner and there it is. Doesn’t take up another input.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2018
    HD = "hybrid digital" not "high definition" in the case of radio. The system in use in the US (iBiquity) is known as IBOC (in band, on channel), allowing both analog & digital content on the same carrier.

While it may improve AM fidelity (at least in the sense of improving signal to noise ratio) HD FM does not improve audio quality. It does pack more channels of
    content into one analog channel, but at the expense of sometimes audible artifacts in the analog domain :(

This being said, HD radio can provide, it is said, more robust signal reception for some listeners. For example, Vermont Public Radio, which has to deal with difficult terrain and low density of listeners on its home turf, often recommends HD radio for some of their fringe-ier listeners (believe it or not).

i3ghr01lo90l.png

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-02-286A2.pdf
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    ^^^^^ I KNOW THAT TREE!!!!!!!!!!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited October 2018
    I really like my Sangean HD tuner! Has optical out which I like. I actually listen to it more than other sources. Like Doc says, DJ's always keep it light and I can occasionally catch local news / gossip without all the crap that TV news dumps on you
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • joecoulson
    DSkip wrote: »
    HD radio is like tv in that you get more stations that are otherwise lost. I prefer some of the HD channels and would love to have them in the car. These extra channels often play deep cuts or more obscure artists that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Which is exactly why I want it. The stations here play some killer forgotten tracks.
  • Hmmm never thought about a HD tuner for the house, but I do have one in my old Crossfire I gave to my daughter. A much cleaner sound and many of the stations are commercial free. The ones out hear in SoCal are substations of a normal FM broadcast, so it like finding a hidden treasure.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    I have a HD tuner on my McIntosh MAC6700 Receiver - hardly use it though.
    [