$1000 (+/-) DACs

I’m reposting this under a new title since the question got no response earlier. $1250 is my maximum budget.

I have been considering either a Schiit Bifrost or Gungnir multibit as a replacement for my current DAC. After reading @DSkip and others, the North Star Design Intenso looks very promising for a price that splits the difference. Has anyone heard these back-to-back? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    Don't do it.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    As a North Star Incanto owner, I would say go with the Intenso.

But I am biased and my only experience with Schiit is with a couple of their pres.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thanks. No shame in being biased. We all are. I am attracted to Schiit (Like a fly?) because of their irreverent attitude and affordable pricing for Made in the USA products. However, the more I read lately, the more narrow-minded it appears for me to consider only multibit DACs.
  • SIHAB
    What are you trying to do? Do you still spin silver discs?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • maxward
    I do, but I plan to get a decent streamer at some point.
  • SIHAB
    edited October 2018
    Spit ballin' here. You have some nice kit.
    Maybe Underwood Hifi would mod your Joule pre.
    Rising Pre might lift all components.
    Then, I would pick up a Jolida jd-100.
    Underwood mods those as well, but you don't have to
    do much to have a great sounding CD player.
    Post edited by SIHAB on
  • maxward
    Agreed, Skip. The Joule could be modded at some point, but a new DAC is higher on my list.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I picked up a factory refurbished Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE for $1250 with a 2 year warranty and 45 day no questions asked trial.

It rocks!!!!!!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    maxward wrote: »
    I’m reposting this under a new title since the question got no response earlier. $1250 is my maximum budget.

I have been considering either a Schiit Bifrost or Gungnir multibit as a replacement for my current DAC. After reading @DSkip and others, the North Star Design Intenso looks very promising for a price that splits the difference. Has anyone heard these back-to-back? Any other suggestions?

I evaluated the first gen 4490 Bifrost Uber against the Intenso back to back.

But my findings would be meaningless to share, as it all comes down to personal system synergy.

Consider a nicer transport than the CD-53.
  • maxward
    The CD-53 is filling in for a Music Hall that I soldered in a new laser, but still would not work. I’m debating ordering another laser or replacing with a dedicated transport. Considering a Cambridge at the low end to a Jay’s Audio at the high end. Did you like the North Star?
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Speaking of Gungnir and Jolida JD-100. I did a Gumby DAC review using my Jolida as a reference. It's a short read:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182635/oh-schiit-back-to-the-drawing-board

I also ran the Intenso shortly afterwards. It was good. Still didn't float my boat but I was headed very far north in terms of pricing to get what I was looking for. You can try the Schiit risk-free (but only 15 days. Should be 30).
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Clipdat
    maxward wrote: »
    The CD-53 is filling in for a Music Hall that I soldered in a new laser, but still would not work. I’m debating ordering another laser or replacing with a dedicated transport. Considering a Cambridge at the low end to a Jay’s Audio at the high end. Did you like the North Star?

Nice. Cambridge CXC's pop up on their eBay store fairly often.

I liked certain things about the North Star and disliked others, but again it's all about system synergy. It could sound completely different in your system than it did in mine. Only way to tell for sure is to try it. Hit up @DSkip and you might have a chance to.
  • Clipdat
    I will say I really liked the fit and finish of the Intenso, with the polished aluminum front. The buttons felt good, and the blue screen was slick. The RCA jacks were also of very high quality. It has a lot going for it in the build quality department.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Spit ballin' here. You have some nice kit.
    Maybe Underwood Hifi would mod your Joule pre.
    Rising Pre might lift all components.
    Then, I would pick up a Jolida jd-100.
    Underwood mods those as well, but you don't have to
    do much to have a great sounding CD player.

No offense to Underwood meant here, but, if a Joule pre is going to be upgraded (though they are quite good as is) I would seriously consider Rich Brkich at Signature Sound. He was close with Judd and bought most/all of his stock when Judd retired. He was great to deal with and did a great job on my upgrade. I wouldn't trust my priceless Joule to anyone else.
  • SIHAB
    Good tip @kharp1. Thanks!
    One could do at least some of the work themselves.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Here's a DAC that has my interest. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=80

A big thread about it. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148213.0

I believe a member here, marvda1 owns one as well. Musical Paradise is scheduled to release an updated version toward the end of this month, 'October'.
  • kharp1
    Unless you know someone that owns the piece you're interested in, or, have a good dealer near you, you're kind of stuck with the trial and error method of buy and try. You can get all the advice you want about a piece from folks on forums, but, you'll never really know until you get if in your system and hear it with your own ears in your system.

I have great respect for Skip and others on this forum, however, we'll never agree on everything. For that very reason one person's smooth can be syrup and slow to me. A detailed high to you can be harsh to me.

You can get an idea of some properties, but, you're never going to know until you bring one home.
  • maxward
    Thanks for all the feedback. Skip reached out to me and it looks like I will be getting the North Star Intenso in for a trial. The Musical Paradise DAC looks quite interesting for this price point as well. Lots of ways to get tweaky with it.
  • maxward
    I’m sensing that there is a point to be taken here. A cautionary one.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    You can find hiccups for just about every brand on the market, if you can't get one in to demo in your system all you can do is get your read on.
    There are several large threads on the musical paradise, read them and do a pro/con.
    Check audio circle, head-fi, audiokarma, Canuck audio, and audio shark.
    I think if there were any major problems, they would show up.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • maxward
    True. I read the thread on Audiocircle. Do you own one and are you happy with it?
  • marvda1
    Yes i own one, the original mk1 version and am thinking about getting the new mk3 version when it is released. This dac's sound can be modified in so many different ways it's like getting a new dac each time, not to mention it sounds great.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    DSkip wrote: »
    Anyone interested in the Musical Paradise DAC should get in touch with Voltz first.

Well I bought a MP DAC also, but after less then 2 months my USB board went out. then it took months and months to get one back. I finally wrote Guarry and ask when he was going to send it out?
    a week went by with no answer so I ask how to return this dust collected ,so he finally wrote me back and said he try and get one out soon. got a tracking number from him that show it coming from China not Canada where he lives so he must have had it sent to me.

after getting it back in I found that sometimes when playing a hires track and I switched to another song I get a loud click sound or pop. I use it with my Aries mini stream which had a 1 TB SSD drive inside and I tried all setting to get rid of this pop when changing tracks
    anyways I regret not getting a North Star DAc from skip and well that is just my experience and I would not order another one from MP.
    I recommend the North Star DAC but that is just my 2 cents .
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • marvda1
    I just did a Google search on clicks and pops from days and it seems this issue pops up with other digital sources and mayon not be caused by the musical paradise dac.
    I have not had this issue or problems with email answers from garry.
    Puritan PSM156
  • kharp1
    I get an occasional light click or pop with my PSA Direct Stream. I haven't downloaded the latest update on it as I was waiting until I got it to skips and we could do a direct comparison before updating. It's not that big of an issue for me as it only happens occasionally. Those clicks and pops aren't confined to just one brand of DAC.

This is really in line with what I was posting yesterday in that word of mouth only goes so far. The old saying of "one mans trash is another mans treasure" comes to mind. Not saying any one piece is either, but, unless you know very precisely what one persons sound tastes are it's very hard to go on word of mouth alone. Only good ears are your own. Find something that checks the boxes you want, see if there's a way you can get your ears on it in your system and go from there.
  • voltz
    I always wondered how good the PS Audio Stack would be. think I like how it uses the new 12S and make the stack talk to each other better?

And how does it work in real life?

I also like the the Aurender n100 streamer with a 4 tb drive inside for my music over the Aries mini streamer?

I also add my opinion is only what you think it is worth?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• marvda1
    voltz wrote: »
    I always wondered how good the PS Audio Stack would be. think I like how it uses the new 12S and make the stack talk to each other better?

And how does it work in real life?

I also like the the Aurender n100 streamer with a 4 tb drive inside for my music over the Aries mini streamer?

I also add my opinion is only what you think it is worth?

how about a six pack? :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • voltz
    not as good as a great bottle of Bourbon...may a Bookers or Bakers or Knob Creek Single Barrel! and then maybe i could tell you how I really think ;)