Saw a RARE sight today!

Yep2
Yep2 Posts: 1,335
edited October 2018 in The Clubhouse
I was in the Ozark Mountains before daylight this morning (scouting for deer) and after daylight I decided to sit down & take a break.

About 10 minutes later 20-30 flying squirrels came flying in 10-15 yards from me.
INCREDIBLE sight to see!
I havent seen one here in several years...

So I started reading up on them today, and got a kick out of the fact that Squirrels in general "fake bury" their nut stashes...

That is if they think they are being watched, they will go thru the motions of burying their treasures, hiding the real stash in their jaws to bury in a different location.

It was something to see today, glad they are making a comeback!

Not everday yoy see such things.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    That is pretty cool. We have them up here but I've only seen one or two at a time. I bet that was a site to see. It has been a decade or more since i seen one.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Nut stashes.... Haha. Not to be confused with um....manscaping.

I'm sure it was an amazing sight. Too bad you were not able to record it.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Was that Russ in the bucket?
    Insert obligatory "Deez Nuts" joke here.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    So squirrels have also possess the capacity for metacognition and mindreading...who knew???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    That's why it is good to have a good squirrel dog to run around the tree. Brings the critter back into view. ;)
  • Yep2 wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    So squirrels have also possess the capacity for metacognition and mindreading...who knew???
    They pretty much live single when its summer (hot), yet they "group up" in multiples when its really cold for warmth...
    We should learn from them. Hope the wife will never read my post.
    Living room
    Speakers: McIntosh XR100 Fronts, LSIM707 Fronts, LSIM 706 Center, LSIM 703 Surrounds, LSi/FX Surround backs.
    Player: Oppo 95.
    Amps: Bryston 4B SST, B&K Ref 200.7 S2.
    Pres: B&K Ref 50 S2, Paraound P5.
    Subs: Dual Rythmik F15HP subs.

Man Cave
    Speakers: Martin Logan Vistas.
    Player: OPPO 105.
    Preamp: B&K Ref 50 S2.
    Amp: B&K Ref 125.2 S2
    Sub: Rythmik F12.
    Sub management: SMS-1.
    Headphones: HD800, HD380, RS220, SRH-1840. Headphone amp: Woo WA2.
    Room treatment: GIK Room Kit #1.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Only flying squirrels here are sail squirrels
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Yep sounds like you are living in a true sportsmans paradise.....hows the fishing by chance??
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    That is COOL!

I wonder when that FIRST squirrel a long time ago thought, hey, if I spread my limbs out when I jump off this limb, will my excess skin slow down my fall? LOL.

I saw some years and years ago in my back yard too. :DB)

25 years ago, I went out my back door for some reason and the moon was coming up and I was looking at it and a flying something crosses my view. WTH was that I thought. Then another and another and about 7 of them went flying past the moon.

That Wild Cherry tree beside my cottage that just snapped from the hurricane was their launching platform. Up high of course. They were sailing 30+ ft. to our giant Pecan tree that we had. Another hurricane took it out years ago. But I got my wife and a flashlight and shined it on these little squirrels doing laps...lol. They'd fly to the Pecan tree, then run back and up the Wild Cherry tree to do it again. Some played in our giant Pecan tree's trunk and branches running around like a cat going after a laser beam. Super FAST!

We watched them for about 1/2 hour and then they went behind our yard to our neighbors trees.

I/we saw them once more doing the same things. Maybe a third but I couldn't swear to that.

It IS a very rare sight to seeing flying squirrels do their thing!

I feel very blessed to have seen a bunch of them having a flying party in my back yard during a bright moon lit night or two flying past the silowhette of the moon's glow.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I learn so much on here on CP ! Flying squirrels? Heard of em, but in Michigan? No way! But yes, there are. Nocturnal critters.
    https://youtu.be/R7CMMpeEVjQ
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Here are the ones I saw in my back yard. The smaller Southern Flying Squirrel. :)

This video reminded me they were also using a broken end of a branch to launch off of. It was SOOOO COOL to have witnessed the fun they were having those nights.
    https://youtu.be/NR4JYGUdbWE

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.