LSi-F/X

Options
I never thought I’d be selling these as they are the best surrounds I’ve ever run in our theater and there’s a sad story that follows them. I bought them here:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173945/wts-lsi9-pair-lsifx-pair-lsic-speakers-sanus-uf34s-fl-pics

I originally wanted to buy the complete set, but 1 I didn’t have enough money, and 2 I couldn’t make the 9’s work in our HT. So, I actually talked on the phone with Geoff for over an hour. He was one of the nicest guys I’d spoken to on the forum. He agreed to part the set out AND hold them for nearly four months until we were down in Sarasota for a vacation. He even invited me and my family to spend time with him and his wife for drinks and a swim in their pool when we were in town!

Well, I’m that time, Geoff had knee surgery and tragically passed away a day or two after surgery. His friend reached out to me and put me in touch with his dad. I offered to let him keep what I had already sent to Geoff and re-sell them, but he insisted Geoff would want me to have them. I met Geoff’s dad in November and spent nearly an hour talking about Geoff, his hobbies, and his passion for music and audio. There were some tears - Geoff sounded like a great guy. I paid the remainder of the balance, packed them carefully in the back of our SUV, and they made the trip back to PA where they have been on side surround duty in our home theater ever since.

So, why am I selling? Well, they are BIG! The ceiling in the HT is only 7’-4” high and we always feel like we have to duck when walking by them (even though there is an inch or two clearance)! So, after much debate, I’ve decided to replace them with some in-ceiling (80F/X-LS) surrounds.

I’d like to get back what I paid for them ($325). Local sale is ideal, but I can ship to CONUS at the buyer’s expense. I do have the original box and I believe all of the packing materials. If the box is not up to par, I’ll put it inside a larger box. I do pack VERY well!

They are in the exact condition as when I purchased them since they’ve been on the walls since I got them. I’ll try to get pictures if needed, but they look just like they did in the pics in G-2’s ad.

Hoping another forum member can keep these in the Polk family. :)

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Tip O' the Hat to Geoff.....
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    OK, the price of the in-ceiling speakers went up on Amazon... so I ordered them directly through the vendor.

Sooooo.... Need to sell these to keep the wife off my back from killing me. I said I'd like to get $325, but...

I'll do $300 OBO plus shipping to CONUS.

Arguably some of the best surround speakers Polk has made. You'd be hard pressed to equal their performance for any less than $500.

Since timing is of the essence, I'm going to list them on CL and possibly eBay this weekend as well, but I'd REALLY like to keep them in the Polkie family.
  • scubalab
    Options
    dbryant wrote: »
    That is a story. Very sad. How old was Geoff? To pass after knee surgery....tough

It was a very sad thing. I don't know exactly how old Geoff was, but I think when I talked to him he mentioned he was in his early 50s. WAY too young, and a complete fluke what happened. From what his Dad told me, it was the day or two after surgery, he was doing great, was up walking from his hospital bed and just collapsed. IIRC someone said it was a blood clot from the surgery, which unfortunately isn't all that uncommon...

Really wish I had a chance to meet him. He sounded like a genuinely great guy.
  • scubalab
    Options
    Found this. I thought Mike (Tampapolkfan) had done a post or two for him / his family.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174361/g-2s-go-fund-me-page#latest

Can't believe that was almost 2 years ago... :(
  • scubalab
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Bump. I really don't want to list on eBay - would much rather a forum member get these. I could part them out for a lot more, but that would be doing these fine speakers a disservice!

$330 shipped
    to CONUS more tempting?

Would fresh pictures help move these? I don't want to take them down until the in-ceiling speakers get here, but can certainly get 'installed' pics. They are in the exact same condition as in the pics in the link referenced in the first post above.

I could add an LSi-C for an extra hundy plus shipping if you're looking form more LSi's! Call it $450 shipped for FXs and a C...

- Al
  • scubalab
    Options
    Pictures... finally.

$330 shipped to CONUS, $300 local pickup zip 16823. I have the original box. I'm going to list on Craigslist today and eBay tonight.

Right Surround:

l357co45xc89.jpeg
    1ba9wpxj5jii.jpeg

Left Surround:

o3sgl5q187ps.jpeg
    ck02e03xlh11.jpeg

Three grills are perfect; one has two small holes fabric (hardly noticeable when mounted):

e0idqo6snyoe.jpeg

-Al
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    Wowsers!!! The surrounds and center for $450 shipped?!? I remember when you couldn’t find the surrounds for that price. Surely someone wants to grab these!!

GLWS!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • scubalab
    Options
    Thanks Paul. The center is in pristine condition too!

If that's all someone needs, I'll sell it for $150 shipped, $125 local pickup.

The mid drivers alone in the FX's are worth my asking price parted out. Selling (when you can find them) on the bay for around $75. There's 6 total on the FXs and the C. That alone is the asking price!

I refuse to part out such nice speakers with the back story they have.

The only reason for me parting with these is for the tight space and opting to go with in-ceiling surrounds instead (Delivered AS I was typing this).
  • scubalab
    Options
    Bumpity, bump, bump.

These are now listed elsewhere... :(
  • scubalab
    Options
    Forgot to mention... I have another pair (not nearly as good of condition). I may be able to find a perfect grill on that pair to swap out the one with the holes in it...
  • scubalab
    Options
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Still homeless......
  • scubalab
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Still homeless......

Rear surrounds for the bucket truck? B)

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    Options
    C'mon he's got a sound bar with Alexa. Still on the phone with CS....
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    can these be used in an Atmos setup?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    maingey wrote: »
    can these be used in an Atmos setup?

Yes, although Dolby doesn’t recommend using dipole speakers, they will work. You might be served better by a normal speaker though, like the LSi 7’s or 9’s.
  • scubalab
    Options
    Maingey, If you're asking if these could be uses as THE atmos speakers in the setup, I agree with Micah. The atmos speakers should be in-ceiling close to directly overhead of the listening position or up-firing speakers on top of your front L/R speakers. These would not work for that.

If you're asking if they could be used as surrounds in an Atmos setup, I don't see why not. These make fantastic L/R surrounds and even work great as rear surround speakers too.

I did find these articles that might help:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/can-i-use-dipole-speakers-714-atmos-setup

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/surround-speaker-dipole-vs-bipole
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Maingey, If you're asking if these could be uses as THE atmos speakers in the setup, I agree with Micah. The atmos speakers should be in-ceiling close to directly overhead of the listening position or up-firing speakers on top of your front L/R speakers. These would not work for that.

If you're asking if they could be used as surrounds in an Atmos setup, I don't see why not. These make fantastic L/R surrounds and even work great as rear surround speakers too.

I did find these articles that might help:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/can-i-use-dipole-speakers-714-atmos-setup

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/surround-speaker-dipole-vs-bipole

Thanks guys. will read and get back to you.
  • scubalab
    Options
    Installed the In-Ceiling 80 F.X-LS surrounds over the weekend and took these beauties down. Here are some updated pictures. Packing materials are in great shape, so shipping should not be an issue at all. The Styrofoam inserts, cloth protective sheets, plastic bags, installation template, and owner's manual are all included!

These are cleaned and packed back up for a new owner. Going to eBay next. :(

$330 shipped to CONUS, $300 local pickup zip 16823.

duk1vljpgltt.jpeg
    udukd859mdts.jpeg
    lvtkxtfg7ku3.jpeg
    7dor9af77ui8.jpeg
    0enlvx5ryuf9.jpeg
    rreody2ed97z.jpeg
    3canuzyn3vj2.jpeg
    xglub87nfzx2.jpeg
    6oenhadomskm.jpeg
    a5qcmbce9op2.jpeg
    hbfcn0zvo5h1.jpeg

Thanks,
    -Al
  • scubalab
    Options
    Bump.

$300 shipped CONUS

$280 local pickup
  • scubalab
    Options
    Bump.

$290 shipped!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Jeez, boys these were almost impossible to find awhile ago and quite expensive when you could find them. Very nice speaks and you're paying squat here when you figure the shipping...
  • scubalab
    Options
    Also good to note that these work very well with the newer LSiM speakers. Basically the same tweeter. And, these have one more tweeter than the newer LSiM702s. I'm still running a mix of LSi and LSiM speakers in my HT.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    I currently have these running with the LSiM 703's and and 706c right now. I have wanted to "upgrade" my surrounds to the LSiM 702f/x's in the flea market, but these perform so well it doesn't seem worth the cost to me. These used to be impossible to find ….and when you did it was at a high premium price. These are a no brainer for anyone looking for a great pair of surround speakers
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • scubalab
    Options
    Bump.

$290 shipped.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    PM sent.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • scubalab
    Options
    Hey now... you be quiet Jose! :p
  • scubalab
    Options
    These are sold and staying in the Polk family. :D

Great talking with you John!
  • scubalab
    Options
    The LSi-F/X speakers are en-route to the their new owner on the west coast. Thanks John for a super smooth transaction!

The LSiC is en-route to its new owner in Canada via Michigan. Thanks Brian for another super smooth transaction!
  • scubalab
    Options
    I though about that Jose - A reunion of sorts!

Hope you're enjoying the 9s. I wish I could have kept the f/x's, but they were too nice not to be put to use.

Take care!