I love modern tech...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited September 2018 in Electronics
So cool the features that are now standard even on low cost items. I bought a Samsung BR player ($98) at Walmart for the patio rig, as my Sony finally died. I discovered this pup has usb, and my thumb drive I use in my car has nearly all of my music on it (mp3 @ 320kps); so I tried it on the Samsung....boom! Music library on the patio!

98 bucks!

I run the sound via Toslink (the ONLY audio out option) to the Teac integrated.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Nice! I too am a fan of much modern tech. Love that I can power on, completely control and sync two different systems in different rooms.

Is the thumb drive easy to navigate through the bdp? Is there an app?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • steveinaz
    Yes, it shows the albums as folders and you just navigate to what you want and hit enter.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • +1 here for modern tech to. Stuff we could only dream about years ago is now a reality. One thing in particular that still amazes me is the fact that I can and do sit in my chair and have control over what I want to hear as well as the volume from my smartwatch.
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2018
    I remember my Teac X2000RBL R2R with it's 10 foot CORDED remote. LOL. If it's got a cord, is it really a "remote?"
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I remember my Teac X2000RBL R2R with it's 10 foot CORDED remote. LOL. If it's got a cord, is it really a "remote?"

Ha! I remember those cords with the "remote". Heck yes it was still a remote back then, you didn't have to get out of your chair. Besides, it was the cats axx back then...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2018
    I liked the Zenith Space Command remote, which used ultrasonic tones generated by a tuning fork door chime sort of striker to trigger motor driven channel selection and volume control on TV sets in the late 50s/early 60s. We had one for a while (a hand me down of some sort). One could make 'em randomly change channels or volume by jingling a
    ring of keys in front of the receiver on the TV.

:)

osoiorof4cis.png
    http://www.pushclicktouch.com/blog/?p=107

qj2eruyaw98g.png

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Professor is that why they called em clickers?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    verb wrote: »
    Professor is that why they called em clickers?

that's a big 10-4.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Just think about this for a minute.

How many of us remember black and white TVs? Then the antenna on the roof auto direction changer. Then the TV remote. Then color TV.

The outdoors was a lot more fun than staying at home it seemed.

Then the BEEPER. Then the Cell phone. Then the decline of society..vvv :#

I'm sure there's millions who have had a smart phone since they were 6 years old now.

Parents had kids so they wouldn't have to get up to change the 3 channels. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I agree wholeheartedly Tony. However, with our "3" channels we didn't have an auto direction changer. Our antenna was on big pole, attached to the side of the house. When we had to get a channel to come in one of us went outside and kept turning it until it did. Cold in the winter...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • steveinaz
    I think I was about 6 or 7 when we got our first color TV. I still remember it well because we were so excited to get it up and running. Back then, your TV repairman delivered it and set it up. I still remember his name; Mr. Kirby. Good times.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I think I was about 6 or 7 when we got our first color TV. I still remember it well because we were so excited to get it up and running. Back then, your TV repairman delivered it and set it up. I still remember his name; Mr. Kirby. Good times.

and they came to your house and repaired them.
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2018
    Yep. I remember a couple of occasions Mr. Kirby would setup a mirror he had, so he could see on the screen what the adjustments were doing from the back. He had all of the parts in his truck, except for large things like picture tubes.
  • mhardy6647
    Yep. I remember a couple of occasions Mr. Kirby would setup a mirror he had, so he could see on the screen what the adjustments were doing from the back. He had all of the parts in his truck, except for large things like picture tubes.

My father was one of those guys, FWIW. :)
    He had his own little shop for many years and made a living fixin' TVs (and, occasionally radios and hifis), installing antennae, and doing occasional PA installs (churches, mostly).
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

My father was one of those guys, FWIW. :)
    He had his own little shop for many years and made a living fixin' TVs (and, occasionally radios and hifis), installing antennae, and doing occasional PA installs (churches, mostly).

Now it’s all starting to make sense. The genealogy of doc hardy...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    My 85 year old neighbor across the street and 2 doors down to the right, was a TV repairman for years but I think just as a hobby. Even at 80, he LOVED fixing tube TV's. B) I don't think he lived to see these newer "Flat Screen" TVs though. :(:'(

He was a nice little old man too. He once asked me to come over and move a big tube TV back into his repair building before a blizzard hit. I'll never forget it. I was helping some roofer friends put a roof on my just built cottage's front room. I didn't want to stop helping the roofers BUT I HAD TOO. :) The old guy was so small and weak and it only took like 5 minutes tops. We all got our jobs done before the blizzard hit too. B)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    My fully restored Philco 41-290. I added a BT receiver in order to stream oldie radio shows. Is that sacrilegious? :smile:
    b27om20glz7s.png
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    WTH is that thing??? :o
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • verb
    Hey Cathy - It's an antique console radio! Model year 1941. Yes way before my time!

It's got 10 tube chassis, with belt and pulley dials for tuning and volume control. Also some preset buttons! AM/Police/Shortwave bands. And a field coil speaker! Solid maple and veneer inlay cabinet, done in the art deco style that was all the rage back then!
  • verb
    edited September 2018
    From Radiomuseum:
    b8iaucmrp563.png
    Tuberadioland:
    http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco41-290_main.html
  • steveinaz
    I have a 1937 Philco that still works, but I'm ascared to plug it in.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

Ah yes the smell of ancient electrons cooking off their insulation in the morning God you got to love it....

lol
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

I know I would be!
    I’m always scared when I bring home new toys from the flea market or a garage sale.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Huge fan of the modern tech. Anyone else have a Harmony remote? I have two setups with the hub connected to Alexa. Can sit down and say “Alexa turn tv on” and it cycles through all devices that need to be on for that. If I say watche movie it also turns the lights down. Casting stuff up to the tv or streamer is something awesome too. Anyone who comes over and says “have you heard...?” They can show me directly from their devices. This is a wonderful time for techies.
  • mhardy6647
    verb wrote: »
    My fully restored Philco 41-290. I added a BT receiver in order to stream oldie radio shows. Is that sacrilegious? :smile:
    b27om20glz7s.png

Yes :p
    You can probably still pick up some interesting clear channel stations at night on AM in the wintertime ;)
  • verb
    Agreed. Streaming Five finger Death Punch didn't really do it for me on this thing! :smile: AM reception works great! I'm a talk show fan, so this baby fills the ticket! When I'm not rocking my office rig, that is. :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    By the way, it is a beautiful console.

Speaking of which, though, given your skills, aesthetics and... resources, you know, you really ought to have one of these.

g6ursen2ram5.png

Zenith Z-1000 Stratosphere
  • verb
    Gorgeous! Ah yes the famous Zenith round tuning dial. Dude that is the pinnacle, way way out of my price range (~60K nowadays). Plus the WAF won't allow any more "what is that" pieces in the house! :smile: