My updated set up.

I posted this over on AK but I figured I would share it with you guys too since I am using some Polk speakers. I decided to change things up a bit and wanted to post my updated setup. I have a nearfield setup and my Polk Audio 5jr+ speakers are remaining but that is about it. Let's talk about what I got. I know most of this is from the BPC era but I still like it and I think it sounds quite nice.

Here is a picture of the overall set up:
lka9avog8bvz.jpg

Amplifier: Technics SU-V96 Stereo Integrated Amplifier
I really am liking this integrated amp so far. It sounds pretty nice and despite not having a physical volume knob (has the separate up and down buttons instead) I do quite like the look and feel as well as the sound. I don't hear any unwanted noise and it drives these speakers quite nicely. I do believe it is around 125wpc into 6ohms. As for inputs, I have it set up as follows:
  1. Phono: None yet.
  2. Tuner: Runs to my PC.
  3. CD/Aux: Runs to a 3.5mm jack which I use for my phone.
  4. Tape 1: Runs to my Technics RS-T17 dual tape deck.
  5. Tape 2/EQ: Runs to my Technics SH-8046 EQ.

Photo:
f0djr06bj73u.jpg

Tape: Technics RS-T17 Stereo Double Cassette Deck
This tape deck works decently and is in overall 10/10 cosmetic condition but it does seem to struggle with fast forward and rewinding of tapes. The motors seem to turn fast and then slow and do this over and over again, taking quite a long time to rewind the tape. Some tapes also play like this and it results in the songs constantly changing tempo and speed. I am thinking it may be that some of these tapes are very old and it could just be the tapes have degraded.

Photo:
5zdljegzgcgd.jpg

EQ: Technics SH-8046 Stereo Graphic Equalizer
This thing is awesome in just how 80's it truly is. It has these weird touch pads for the buttons and adjustments and has 7 bands that you can adjust and it allows you to adjust for each channel individually as well.

Photo:
6yw2m546xlpn.jpg

Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor Series 2 5jr+
These are the only part that has stayed because they are truly awesome speakers that sound excellent. I have them on some modified speaker stands and they are at the perfect height and angle for listening while sitting at the desk.

Photo:
qycg51e01uuv.jpg

Overall, I know these are considered "black plastic crap" but I am impressed with the quality and sound quality and I am pretty happy. If anyone knows anything about these tape players and could point me in the right direction of figuring out the varying playback and ff/rewind speed issues, please do let me know. Thank you.

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited September 2018
    I always loved the Monitor 5 jr+. Ran a pair in Turkey in the early 90's, and those little suckers could ROCK. I ran them on a Soundcraftsmen 215 watt amp, and cut them zero slack, LOL.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I have a Technics SU-vXX model, specifically the SU-v75. I liked it quite a bit, but it has been left behind and is now doing temporary phono preamp duty.
    Nice system you got there. Enjoy!
    -Micah
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hello @Auxient welcome to the forum. Just guessing but I'm assuming the tape deck is a belt drive unit? Could be slipping, may need to replace it.

BTW nice Polks! I have the walnut veneer version. Did you replace the tweeters on them? They look upgraded.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb wrote: »
    Hello @Auxient welcome to the forum. Just guessing but I'm assuming the tape deck is a belt drive unit? Could be slipping, may need to replace it.

BTW nice Polks! I have the walnut veneer version. Did you replace the tweeters on them? They look upgraded.

I have no idea where to get belts. It seems to be a lower or midrange tape deck so probably belts but I will have to crack it open and see. Also, these are the series 2 so I think they have the SL2500 tweeters.
  • verb
    There are companies on line the sell parts. Cracking it open is half the fun! Drive unit pulleys probably could use a cleaning. Have you ever cleaned the heasd and/or demagnetized them? Part of normal maintenance.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    verb wrote: »
    There are companies on line the sell parts. Cracking it open is half the fun! ...

Your idea of fun is rather different than mine :|

I hate, hate, hate working on cassette decks.
    Of course, that shouldn't discourage the OP, though! ;)

• verb
    Hehe. I'm more mechanical than electrical, ya know! :smile: