Wireless Security Cameras

I know this topic has been discussed here and there, but wondering if anyone has any recent experience with wireless security cameras.

We’d like to get 2-4 cameras to cover the perimeter of our house. We recently had someone (under the influence of a substance) on our property - turns out he was relatively harmless, but scared us nonetheless.

I’d like to get something that I can access remotely, that can store (locally or cloud based) a few days worth of recordings, is motion activated, good night vision, and is easy to use.

I’m looking at the Arlo Pro 2 system, or the Zmodo cameras. The Arlo is expensive, but does have rechargeable batteries, an alarm, free 7-day cloud based storage, and two-way voice. I heard it’s very easy to use as well.

The Zmodo is cheap, but no alarm, two-way voice, or free storage that I can see.

I’m not 100% sold on either of these and am open to suggestions or other models.

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Hey Al my wife just asked me to do the same thing. Friends have ring but they are expensive. So I will be following the thread...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Do you have a Sam's Club anywhere near? Believe it or not they have had some good deals on wireless.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I considered the Ring cameras too Paul, but they seem to be the doorbell or floodlight. Neither will work all that well at our house. We have no doorbells now, and we’ve got a lot of entry points to the house (6 door, and 10 accessible windows). We actually just had Xfinity install their security system. The new package with security, faster internet, and more channels is about the same as we were paying. I opted against their cameras as they were poorly rated, expensive ($200 each) and you have to use their monitoring ($9.95 per camera)!

I’d like to have the cameras away from the house pointing towards the house. I may be able to get most entry points with 2 cameras, but ideally would need 3 or 4.
  • "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    We do Ivan. They have the Arlo, but it’s actually cheaper elsewhere. Most of their other systems were wired. And by wired, I mean wired to the dvr.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    I also will be following the thread...
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I really like the dropcam which is now nest. Wireless and cloud based storage. High quality product and very high resolution and night vision.

Been using this fo years

Check the arlo pro reviews on costco. Not that great at all.
  • scubalab
    I’ll have to take a look at the Nest cameras again. They seemed pricey (around $200 each) if I remember correctly and I don’t recall seeing package prices...
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I've been thinking about the Arlo Pro. I like the fact that they're wireless and cordless. You can get a wall wart for em too.

I did find this on CL recently. Not the Pro, but looks like a cheap starter set.
    h0un9pwhyfcp.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/d/arlo-wireless-surveillance/6681081740.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I have the Arlo Pro, using 2 cameras. I found a good deal using Best Buy's online price which was matched in the store.

They offer the Arlo Pro 2 now which wasn't avail when I bought mine. My Pro has very good daylight PQ, decent night PQ, but is only 720P...the Arlo Pro 2 is 1080P.

I can see everything, but mounted under the soffits, you wont be able to read a license plate if that's what you're after.

They are expensive, but after researching quite a few, they really offer a quite an easy setup with good picture quality and field of view.

I would narrow down the Arlo Pro, or Pro 2 and a wired Lorex 2K setup. The Lorex offers very good PQ but more involved to mount and run the ethernet cable.

If you need a system to catch something, like you stated, then the Arlo is quick and easy.

For a more permanent setup, the 2K Lorex is where I would probably steer.

The Lorex fluctuates in price often, just look for deals, especially around black Friday.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    We have the Arlo Pro (1 not 2) and it works great and was very easy to set up.
    Batteries are rechargeable and last about a month.
    We purchased from Costco as a package with 3 cameras, base station with alarm, charging station and extra batteries. Costco and Sams Offer package deals from time to time.
    The only issue I’ve ever had was one camera needing to be re-paired after complete battery drain. There is an Arlo community that helped me figure out the issue and solution.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    I really like my Arlo system. Does everything I want it to do. Free cloud storage and alerts with no monthly subscription was a big selling point for me.
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • scubalab
    John ( @Jaybeez ),

Do you mind me asking what you paid? We don't have Costco in central PA, but I am a member of Sam's Club and since I'm not a member, I can't see the price. This looks like it would be a nice bundle (similar to yours but only one extra battery and no charging station) however it doesn't show me the price:

https://www.costco.com/Arlo-Pro-Smart-Home-HD-Wireless-IP-Security-Camera-3-pack.product.100340335.html

If we go with Arlo, I've narrowed it down to these:
    1. Arlo Pro 2 (2 camera system) with Echo Spot from Amazon for $429
    2. Arlo Pro (3 camera system) from HSN for $399
    3. Arlo Pro (2 camera system + outdoor mount and battery charging station) from Sam's club for $319

Wondering if those sound like good deals?
  • Is it just me, or does it seem like having to change batteries on a monthly basis would be a pain in the rear. I know if I had a wireless system with battery power, I would have to get a ladder to reach where the cameras would go in order to change the batteries. For me, doing that on a monthly basis would get old real quick.

I'm looking at buying just cameras that are PoE (Power over Ethernet) and having those connect through my router to my Synology NAS as the recording device. You can hook up one camera for free and others at a charge with the Synology solution. As I already have the Synology and space, I'm thinking this is the way I may go in the future.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I hear ya @GospelTruth but I believe the Arlo Pro’s have the ability to use a wall wart as an option.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited September 2018
    I have used the Zmodo cameras for about 4 years and they will do the job for basic coverage. The app will send you an alert in real time, they do have cloud storage fairly cheap and without it each alert stays on your phone for 24-72 hours. Coverage at night is good for the money shot (face), but distant is limited unless their is ambient light.

Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited September 2018
    Is it just me, or does it seem like having to change batteries on a monthly basis would be a pain in the rear. I know if I had a wireless system with battery power, I would have to get a ladder to reach where the cameras would go in order to change the batteries. For me, doing that on a monthly basis would get old real quick.

The Arlo has a rechargeable battery, if your recording time is short. Around 30 sec per event, you can generally get a month.

They are attached by a strong magnet so just take inside and recharge. There is also an option to have them connected 24/7 with an extended length charge cord if you desire.

The 2K Lorex is PoE and is a sweet system for a more permanent setup.

But the Arlo is super quick and easy, up and running once batteries are charged.