Nike' and Kapernick together now.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Yep.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    Glad I got to read this thread before it goes away..

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Certainly are a lot of OFFENDED people who make fun of others for being OFFENDED.

LOL.......you can't OFFEND me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I see. So it wasn't so much a certain type of cake as much as who they were baking it for. So im guessing they violated the equal rights act?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Ask that to the Red Heron. I'm quite sure their town loves them now...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    shawn474 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Let's get real. Kaepernick had one good year, afterwards pretty much sucked, which is the real reason he is no longer in the NFL. Plenty of other one year wonders ended up out of the league for the same reason.

Except that statistically he had one of the best years of his career in 2016. If you parse his stats over 16 games it likely WOULD have been his best year; especially with a 4 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio.
    But let’s not let the facts get in the way of an accurate narrative....

Let's not forget that he opted out of his contract with San Fran.

I think he's good enough to be a back-up in the league on talent alone, but he's not when you consider the entire package. Similar to Dez Bryant I suppose, except that Dez has the talent to be a starter.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • deronb1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I see. So it wasn't so much a certain type of cake as much as who they were baking it for. So im guessing they violated the equal rights act?

They won in the Supreme Court decision

It was a custom cake shop, the purchasers had other choices, but chose to advocate to shut this families business down.

So if you think it's right, that's your choice. Just like others have the choice not to like Nike's nor Kap's decisions.

I read the ruling. It seems the Commission focused too much on the religious aspect of it and not the law. That said, other choices sounds a lot like seperate but equal.
  • deronb1
    Amd the Red Hen was equally wrong in not serving Sanders due to her political affiliation.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

It was a custom cake shop, the purchasers had other choices, but chose to advocate to shut this families business down.

So if you think it's right, that's your choice. Just like others have the choice not to like Nike's nor Kap's decisions.

I read the ruling. It seems the Commission focused too much on the religious aspect of it and not the law. That said, other choices sounds a lot like seperate but equal.

Like I said, choices were made...ie Kap, the baker, NFL, Nike, 2016 election, etc

There are 2 sidewalks, one on each side of the street. One is smoother than the other, We have a choice.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited September 2018

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for redress of grievances." First Amendment, U.S. Constitution

It might help if you brush up on this as well. Colorado law infringed on his religious liberty, as guaranteed by the 1st amendment. That IS THE LAW, and is not open for debate unless Congress and 2/3rds of the state legislatures repeal the 1st amendment.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • deronb1
    I think the issue is, can one use religion to violate local, state and federal anti-discrimination laws? In requiring this shop to abide by established law, It is no way prohibiting the free exercise of their religion. Unless of course, their religion explicitly states: Thou shalt not bake cakes for homosexuals. ;)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited September 2018

Like I said, choices were made...ie Kap, the baker, NFL, Nike, 2016 election, etc

There are 2 sidewalks, one on each side of the street. One is smoother than the other, We have a choice.

But we shouldn't throw stones or scream at the people on the other sidewalk, should we?

Or go over there and say " you're wrong therefore you need to be scolded and yelled at at the top of our lungs ability for not seeing our point of view or agreeing with us".

That's what is happening now with the fringe psychos who are being fed BS from our media and most news outlets. RESIST and PUNISH the people on the other sidewalk no matter what.

At least this friction over Kaepernick's protest style is still PEACEFUL . That there is a VERY GOOD issue to ponder. It's still peaceful. :);)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2018
    I think the issue is, can one use religion to violate local, state and federal anti-discrimination laws? In requiring this shop to abide by established law, It is no way prohibiting the free exercise of their religion. Unless of course, their religion explicitly states: Thou shalt not bake cakes for homosexuals. ;)
    Or is it the case that a tyrannical government is using anti discrimination laws to marginalize and silence those who hold deeply held religious convictions, and forcing them to comply through force of some kind. It is interesting to note that the government tends to push secularism, which itself has been found by the Supreme Court to, in fact as well as practice, be a religion.

And with that I am out of this one before the ban hammer swings my way.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    I personally think the cake shop was wrong in this case, one it’s a cake, not like they wanted a cake of two dudes having sex, and here is my biggest problem with the cake shop using Religion to opt out of it, isn’t being a Christian to love and forgive, and to spread the word and love of Jesus? They did neither, they should have made the cake and talked to them about the love and joy of knowing Jesus..this is just one of the many reasons I despise religion, organized religion anyways. It was used as a tool to opt out because of thier, shall I say judgmental racist views, I used the word racist because they were no better than a racist, same thing IMO, it was disgusting to say the least...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited September 2018
    I guess I can't make Hebrew National make me some "non-kosher" hot dogs, now can I? :s Of course not. I wouldn't even think of it. :)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2018
    Larry... if someone came to you, with your prodigious metalworking skills, and asked you to make the ultimate bear trap, and the state passed a law that said all business could not discriminate against any hunter in any circumstance, would you still make such a device even though you are an avid bear lover and keep two grizzlies as pets? If you refuse based upon your belief that all bears have the right to be free, should you be forced out of business?

While I do agree with you on organized religion, I don't fault the baker for holding true to his beliefs. I wish more people today had that kind of courage in the face of government tyranny. What is unfortunate is that now the very same baker is under attack yet again, this time for not baking a cake for a gender transition. And it is a lawyer suing this time just to make a quick buck and get her 15 minutes of fame. Why else would she pick this bakery otherwise, as the outcome was known well in advance of even going in the store.

• treitz3
    Tony M wrote: »
    At least this friction over Kaepernick's protest style is still PEACEFUL . That there is a VERY GOOD issue to ponder. It's still peaceful. :);)

Ha! What I would give to be a fly in that corporate board room tomorrow!!!!

Ah, Chit son!

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Either way the Baker would serve himself better by switching professions.

I hope you are joking...

• txcoastal1
    Larry... if someone came to you, with your prodigious metalworking skills, and asked you to make the ultimate bear trap, and the state passed a law that said all business could not discriminate against any hunter in any circumstance, would you still make such a device even though you are an avid bear lover and keep two grizzlies as pets? If you refuse based upon your belief that all bears have the right to be free, should you be forced out of business?

While I do agree with you on organized religion, I don't fault the baker for holding true to his beliefs. I wish more people today had that kind of courage in the face of government tyranny. What is unfortunate is that now the very same baker is under attack yet again, this time for not baking a cake for a gender transition. And it is a lawyer suing this time just to make a quick buck and get her 15 minutes of fame. Why else would she pick this bakery otherwise, as the outcome was known well in advance of even going in the store.

That's what the Baker gets for poking the bear. Or was that Larry?
    Either way the Baker would serve himself better by switching professions.
    Pun intended

And so should Kap?.?
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Do any of you get to protest while at work? This is a pretty simple concept. Nobody is arguing against protest, but you do it on YOUR time. Now, the other side can try to spin that all they want--but that's what it boils down to.

Does your employer have everybody stand for the national anthem every morning?

Neither does the NFL

• treitz3

Does your employer have you show up for work everyday you are expected to work and follow the plethora of rules set forth? Can you protest on the company dime and have your company back you up with your stance, regardless of the downfall of the company?

Tom

• treitz3
    ....in this case, 4.3 Billion in one day?

Tom
  • F1nut
    I believe if you can't stand to honor the flag and National Anthem of your country, leave because you don't deserve to live in it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut wrote: »
    I believe if you can't stand to honor the flag and National Anthem of your country, leave because you don't deserve to live in it.

I'm sure glad your opinion is simply that, YOUR opinion.

Too bad you don't share it....speaks volumes about your character.

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    For the love of Beelzebub.....

I sin and want all others to be righteous before giving my judgement.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289

You’re guessing wrong.

The baker didn’t refuse the **** couple service. He was perfectly happy selling them anything in his shop. He refused to design (ie. take an active role) a cake specifically for them for a ceremony that wasn’t in agreement with his religious convictions.

The court agreed.

Some thought that the couple came looking for a fight since there were many (twenty-some?) bakeries within a five or ten mile radius that would have been happy to accommodate them.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Does your employer have you show up for work everyday you are expected to work and follow the plethora of rules set forth? Can you protest on the company dime and have your company back you up with your stance, regardless of the downfall of the company?

Tom

This ignorant argument keeps getting posted here, but, there were no rules broken. The league conceded to the fact that they had nothing in place that directly addressed this issue. Why should he be penalized for something that wasn't a violation of the rules? Oh, that's right...because you didn't like it and you thought it should be otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.