Need some soundbar advice

Options
gmcman
gmcman Posts: 1,759
This is for my mom, I went there today and her flat panel speakers are going bad, I would like to get her a Polk but unsure of what models to look at, but willing to look at other brands. As far as budget, I would like to stay under $300 if poss.

Going with something used is fine, I did see in a search that the Magnifi Max SR was a good sounding unit...albeit new will be out the budget.The 5.1 would be nice, but not necessary..I'm sure the 3.1 would be sufficient.

One issue is she sits about 18-20' from the TV, and the left wall of the room is next to the couch for the entire length so there is a close boundary on that side.

I haven't heard any soundbar that ever really caught my attention, but haven't heard any the past few years.

I just don't want it to sound like a thin plastic box, I'm off all week so I have time to visit some stores.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• gmcman
    Options
    I found a Magnifi X in the local CL, has optical input, not hdmi. Unsure of exact model but appears to be a 3.1 version and In great shape. Any known issues with them? Wish I had more to go on.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Have you thought of asking Alexa?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    Options
    Have you thought of asking Alexa?

Ha...no way...lol. Not plugging that eavesdropping craziness back in.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I think that Polk’s options are good, as they seem to have sorted out the whole “pops and clicks” issue, so if I was buying a sound bar, they’d be my go to.
    Sonos also makes nice soundbars, my great grandma has one, and it sounds great, for a sound bar anyway. One of the better ones I’ve heard.
    I think a used Polk Magnifi would be your best bet.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    You can get the referbished max on polks ebay shop cheaper.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.