Bang & Olufsen Beogram 5005 Turntable w/ MMC3 Cartridge $500 Incl. Shipping - Sold

stretchl
stretchl Posts: 1,334
edited October 2018 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
This beauty was a foundation of the first serious hi-fi system I ever purchased. The year was 1988. I was 25-years-old, living in Tampa, FL, and working as a photojournalist for the St. Petersburg Times. Heady days - Covered Reagan at Naval Station Mayport mourning the sailors who were killed on the USS Stark, the aftermath of the 1988 Spitak earthquake in Armenia, a couple of hurricanes making landfall, one of the last baseball games played in Comiskey Park and more Buccaneers football games than I can remember.

I had a great salesperson set me up with this turntable, a Luxman R-115 receiver and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10B speakers. I still have this turntable (until it sells) and the Luxman, both in what seems to me to be perfect working order, though, sadly, the Polk cabinets were severely damaged in a minor basement flood in the early 2000's and had to be parted out here on the forum a few years back.

I wish I could remember the name of the salesman and the shop, but I can't. He started me out on the right foot of a journey that continues today and I'd love to thank him.

So given that backstory let it be known that my price is pretty firm and I'm only reluctantly passing the piece on a fellow aural traveler who will care for and enjoy what is to me a precious piece of equipment. I feel certain that I'll not venture back into the vinyl realm and I'm not a collector; no one benefits from a piece like this staying in my (bone dry) basement.

I last used it in 2011 or so, but took it into a local shop for a quick functionality check a few weeks back. (I don't have a phono stage here at home.) The results of that quick test are in the Dropbox folder linked here, along with high rez versions of the photos below.

There is one serious scratch on the rear of the unit, as shown in the photos. The top surface has only very, very minor surface scratches that are much **less** than one would expect given the age of the unit and can probably be buffed out. It's never been exposed to pets, kids or smoke (except for the occasional funny stuff back in the 80's, but let's keep that on the down low, shall we?).

I've spent some time researching current pricing on these and feel that given the condition of the unit and, frankly, my attachment to it, $500 is fair. I've not seen anything out there in this kind of functional and aesthetic shape.

So... without further ado, I present for you consideration, you cray-cray Polkies, my Beogram 5005 and MMC3 cartridge. Thanks for reading my story.

7idku02jvuxr.jpg

yjpc06mc7pat.jpg

de9bam4tj8ad.jpg

jdbf1gb5gxkn.jpg

kesvx8abs8v3.jpg

svjwj1o06c40.jpg

3cx25p5co4dv.jpg

g9utd0jfbaue.jpg

66zm1wp5kkkj.jpg

3qwftchgivhe.jpg

7mm69d95c41k.jpg

dlsc3d8dh1u0.jpg

7bmg54857pcy.jpg

hkdj3thof7w5.jpg

dhafuhh8j1ls.jpg

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
Cabling by Groneberg
Visuals
https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments