standard pcm vs. high res

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• ab0tj
    ab0tj Posts: 40
    I mostly agree with this... But I'm not sure I agree that everyone will have equipment that causes distortion when presenting ultrasonic frequencies. Also I don't think we can always rely on the fact that the recording engineer will properly "fit" the 24 bit source material into the 16 bit end result.
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Blah blah blah. Anyone who puts "Audiofool" in his subject title is himself a fool. It really doesn't take an hour of blathering to explain digital audio, even with a fountain pen as a prop.

Audio is not just math, it is a listening experience. The math and physics aspects of audio design provide useful inputs, but the end result is what is important.

Case in point: the slide rule gang of BBC engineers and consultants who developed studio monitors decades ago found their ruler flat speaker designs sounded awful so they used their ears combined with their engineering brains to tweak the design to find something that SOUNDED good (Harbeth, Spendor, etc)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM_wAT4rBKg&t=51s

• Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited August 2018
    While I have an engineering degree, and dissected the Nyquist theorem in finitum in my DSP classes, I'm a believer that higher harmonics (outside the audible range) add 'flavor' as well as other acoustical characteristics that add to the audio signal. There is much more to the audio signal than just frequency response. I believe our hearing, and how we interpret analog sound waves are very complex, and there is pertinent info that may not be audible, but add subtle info to what we 'experience' as "sound."
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom