Polk RTi-A9’s Towers or/vs RBH- R55E Towers

Oldschool59
Oldschool59 Posts: 67
edited August 2018 in The Clubhouse
What say you guys, which pair would you pick for music/movies? I’m looking for sound advice, thoughts on the two Towers. Their weaknesses and strengths in both Applications for music and home theater movie usage.

Best Answers

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Answer ✓
    Owning a all pollk 7.2 HT all RTIA series speakers, A9's and a CSi A6 for the front stage, for movies and concert Blu Ray's I couldn't be happier. I also dont mind the A9s in 2 channel mode running dual subs, but on some recordings they do hold up to thier reputation on being a bit bright at times which can lead to listener fatigue.

I stay away from stuff that I know is recorded a bit on the bright side but overall I'm happy with them. I listened to the multi channel mix of Alan Parsons Tales of Mystery And Imagination the other day and really enjoyed the experience. I like them in a Hybrid system but would never consider them in a 2 Channel only rig, which they are not intended to be designed for anyways. I cant comment on those other towers as I have never heard them nor am I familiar with them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Might I suggest the Polk Signature 60s, they are fantastic for both music and movies.

Here is my review of them last year.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176622/review-of-polk-signature-series-s60-speakers/p1

And here are some from Halo for sale.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182780/fs-polk-signature-s60-speakers-black-walnut-finish#latest
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Answer ✓
    The RTI-A series speakers are on the bright side, and forward sounding, which makes them particularly good for HT duty. Some people like this musically in speaker design for music others don’t. Just a personal preference.

If you’re listening to 2-channel music, with no sub, the A9’s will probably dig a little deeper than the 55’s, providing they have enough current supplied to them. Although both of these speakers would benefit from a good high current power amp, the A9’s need one.

The aluminum speaker design, that RBH utilizes, should be mentioned. Although speaker manufacturers have successfully used aluminum in many designs, some people just dislike the sound that it produces. Not saying anything bad about those speakers that use aluminum, it just produces a very different sound signature than pulp, for example.

Answers

• Thanks guys and you too Miss Cathy! It’s great to see your still kicking around in here! Many blessing to you Miss! I really appreciate the input and thoughts on the two towers. A9’s are going for a killer price. As for them being a lil on the brite side, believe tweeking of the upper end on EQ slope I could probably tame that some. At what they are going for all most to hard to pass up.