Has anyone veneered the face of their SRS's?

JayMX
JayMX Posts: 434
edited June 2018 in Vintage Speakers
The guy I have lined up to buy this pair of SDA SRS 2's wants the fronts to be “blonde”. “So the drivers really stand out.” Has anyone ever veneered the face of these cabinets? I’m leery - afraid it’s gonna look weird... thoughts?? Examples? Both good and bad? Thanks!
6x9xs4jumvjd.jpeg
Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    IMHO, If someone wants a custom job....then they need to handle it on their own

Do they want the existing veneered blond or the entire speaker??

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Tell him to find another speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited June 2018
    Hey, I'll buy that car you have for sale but only if you paint it red first.

Yeah, no, buy them or don't buy them but they come as is. Do it yourself, pay someone else to do it, or find a different pair of speakers.

What happens when he hits you with "I don't like the way they look or the job you did, I think I'll pass. Good luck!"
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Let him do it !!!!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I did see some photos a few years ago of a pair that had been veneered on the face, but I agree it's not a good idea for performance reasons. The tolerances on the front baffle between cabinet and drivers are very important. To do things right, much more would be involved than just pasting some veneer onto the front of the cabinet.

If the potential owner really wants the drivers to stand out visually he could get a roller and a can of white paint and have at it. :)
  • JayMX
    I agree with all of the above. My original plan was just to refinish the end caps and side panels to a darker color to match his decor, but then he brought up the face idea. He is a personal friend and I’m doing the refurbishment for him as a favor at cost.
    After thinking and considering, it would be sorta tricky to do. I don’t really want to strip the vinyl and I wonder if there would be any issues with contact cement adhesion if I didn’t strip it. Also routing the openings for the tweeters would be a precision operation... Feels like the PITA factor really ramps up. I also agree that adding the thickness of the veneer to the face would cause tolerance issues with the grilles fitting properly. I’m looking for excuses here. Any acoustic arguments against it that I could use? Thanks all.
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • F1nut
    Yes, the vinyl material on the bezel has diffraction properties. Using wood veneer will cause those to change and not for the better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    In addition, the speakers are voiced with the grills on, so they should be played that way. Furthermore, if a person is serious about listening they do so with eyes closed.

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    "Excuse me, Miss....I would like to start dating you, but only if you change your hairstyle and color, change your makeup, lose 20 pounds, change your wardrobe, watch different TV shows and movies, listen to different music, change your diet, root for different professional sports teams, drive a different car, find a different career, and trade your cat for a pug."
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I like them nekkid....w/o grills :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I don't personally care for their new aesthetics (to each his own though), but it's obvious that the quality of your work is impeccable. Job well done man!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I second on the great job comment. I'm sure they will sound just as great when innards are renewed too. It's something special when you can rest-mod something and tie it all in with the decor. Cudos.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    So most everyone on here changes tweeters, crossover parts, binding posts, SDA cables and ends, internal wiring, adds BH5, etc which all change the sound, but don't do anything to the baffle because it might change the sound that the Polk engineers intended? Doesn't make much sense to me. If you are wanting them to sound as Polk sold them, don't change everything trying to make them better sounding. Replace worn out parts only with the same new parts if keeping Polk's original sound is your priority. I say they're your speakers and do what you want to them. If you don't like the results try something else.
  • F1nut
    Changing the surface material of the baffle can have a detrimental effect. The other proven modifications enhance the performance. That's the difference.

President of Club Polk

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    For me - potential sound signature changes aside, I actually kind of like the look. I wouldn't do it, but what you did looks good to me.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I agree with @MrBuhl I like the look of them. I personally don't mind the all black Studio SDA 2Bs I got so I wouldn't attempt it and yes I would be too afraid of affecting the sound to do anything with the front baffle. Just me personally but those are YOUR speakers to do with whatever YOU want.

If you like to look at them cool, if you like to listen to them cool, if you like both then go for it.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Wow, i really like them. Makes me not want to keep mine. Nice work!
  • CH46E
    CH46E wrote: »
    Wow, i really like them. Makes me not want to keep mine. Nice work!

Makes me want to keep them. Typo, my bad.

Where did you source the vaneer from?
  • JayMX
    CH46E wrote: »
    Where did you source the vaneer from?

http://www.macbeath.com
    They have a local store here in Salt Lake City but I believe that you can order online and they will ship. I’ve purchased from them several times. Always excellent quality. Great selection.
  • JayMX
    edited August 2018
    To follow up, I found another Adcom GFA-555 and a GTP-500 (I was very tempted to keep them - mint in original boxes) for my buddy and we hooked things up this week. They sound fantastic in his room. The 194’s need to break in, but overall everyone is very pleased! :)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I think those look pretty awesome! Nice job. And unless you have been very intimate with your SDAs like @F1nut, I don’t think you’ll hear the difference...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BMF35
    F1nut wrote: »
    Changing the surface material of the baffle can have a detrimental effect. The other proven modifications enhance the performance. That's the difference.

Detrimental? Seriously? If veneer or laminate was so horrible I doubt it would be as common as it is on speaker enclosures. Or slick finish paint. Everyone would just rattle can the front of their cabinets if everything else was detrimental to the performance.
  • F1nut
    BMF35 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Detrimental? Seriously? If veneer or laminate was so horrible I doubt it would be as common as it is on speaker enclosures. Or slick finish paint. Everyone would just rattle can the front of their cabinets if everything else was detrimental to the performance.

Yes, seriously and fyi, the OP's original baffle material was a type of laminate.

Some speakers, such as the OP's were designed/voiced with that particular baffle material. Other speakers, such as the ones you eluded to were designed/voiced with whatever their baffle material may be. Heck, some speakers come with felt "rings" stuck on top of whatever the baffle material may be because the designer deemed it necessary.

There's more to it than you obviously realize.

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    I would gladly trade a possible small disturbance in the design to have mine look like his! I th8nk they look sweet.

• JayMX
    Like I said before, the aesthetic was important in getting these in the door. WAF was in full effect. But now she isn't pissy about having “big ugly old golden oak speakers in my brand new house.”

Are they exactly in spec from original, nope... Do they still sound amazing, especially with the 194's? Yep. The SDA “effect” still works great. The soundstage is still impressively wide. The bass is still full and amazingly deep especially when you think about the physics of four 6.5” MW's moving in tandem to actuate that big ol PR. That is what impressed my friend when he heard the exact same model in my home. I understand and agree with the purist sentiment and if maintaining factory spec was the goal, then we wouldn’t have gone down this road. But we got him a very nice pair of fun-to-listen-to speakers that made him and his wife happy.

That said, this was a challenging project that worked out well, IMO. My buddy and I can still have some fun as time goes on doing other upgrades to the crossovers and sealing them up tighter, etcetera. Not gonna sweat the small performance difference that changing the bezel material may have caused. It was fun, we succeeded. Nuff said. Thanks to all for the positive comments and constructive criticisms. This is a fantastic hobby. Love it and enjoy the interactions here.
  • BMF35
    I don't recall ever hearing a home speaker that didn't benefit from adding felt around at least the tweeters.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I just caught this thread. Exquisite job @JayMX !
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.