Where do I go from here

Options
keith allen
keith allen Posts: 734
edited December 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
OK,I need advice on my next move on my 2 channel system on a budget...I now have a carver preamp/with upgrade,carver amp,10" velodyne powered sub,onkyo cd player,rti8's.Now I'm trying to get into a denon dvd 2900 player so the onkyo is on its way out,that will give a better source,and get me into some sacd.I was thinking of bidding on another carver amp,and doing a mononbloc....but I see a lotta folks have dacs in their system,what would be the better upgrade?Is there something else I should think about...opinions please:)
Post edited by keith allen on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2004
    Options
    It's all downhill from here, prepare for medication.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Think about want you want your system to do and how you intend to use it. The Denon 2900 is noted for having very good DAC's, Burr Brown, so if you get it you might want to think about power, mono or bi-amp config, or how about some SDA speakers, nothing like it for 2 ch in IMO.

RT1

Edit: I take a variety of pills, nothing seems to help.!@#$*&%^
  • keith allen
    edited December 2004
    Options
    What is the difference between the two?Which is better?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2004
    Options
    My advice:

Sell the Onkyo CD and get into a better CD Player. No offense, but NOT the Denon. (you'll see why below...)

You've got plenty of power and mono-blocking is expensive given the slight (if any) difference in sound quality. In other words, not much "bang-to-buck" ratio there.

Getting a good CD Player (Creek CD50 MKII, Jolida, Ah! Njoe Toeb, Rega Planet 2000...the list goes on and on) will negate the need for an expensive outboard DAC.

Why not the Denon and an outboard? Look at the numbers. By the time you buy the Denon and spend another grand on an outboard (that's what it will take to out-do the burr-brown in the Denon), you could have bought a top-shelf CD Player with a DAC built-in that will run with the best--and have a decent transport to boot.

just my 2 pennies, and yes, I did see the "sacd" thing. ;)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • keith allen
    edited December 2004
    Options
    OK...no monobloc,I wasnt going to get both a dac and a 2900,thinking about one or the other.The reason I want the denon is,I have the cd player and then a seperate dvd player,thought it would be nice to combine into one.As far as dvd goes Im real happy with my cheap sylvania dvd/vhs combo,picture is fine,I have an old analog tv anyway,my main gold is all about the music..I want the best 2 channel sound for my small budget,gotta keep my speakers though,their the only thing I bought new so far,dont want to lose money on them,that being said I do have the option to trade up at hifi buys,I have rti8's,dont want the 10's their to boomy,cant afford the 12's.I can however trade up to the lsi9's,that would be resonable for me,Ive listen to them,but still havent made up my mind if their better than the 8's for my type of tunes:rolleyes: I appreciate everybody's thoughts,I really like this site because you get good opinions without the attitude:D
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I think the RTi8s are fine speakers. I have the LSi9s and they are pretty much as good as it gets for me and my budget, IMO. If you like the LSi9, then a trade up would be justified. If you are on the fence, just keep the RTi8s.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I understand the concept of trying to put a nice system together on a budget. You've got some great base components, I would recommend getting a dedicated CD Player as you seem pretty serious about your 2-channel sound.

Try to find a used Cambridge Audio D500SE or Azur 640. These are both very good CDP's below the $500 buck mark (used), and the used D500SE can probably be acquired for about $250 if you're a patient bidder. Also look at Rotel CD Players and Sony "ES Series" in the under $500 category. Personally, these are the only 3 brands I would touch under 500 bucks (new, retail of course). Once you get in the $501-$1000 range, you've got alot more quality players to pick from.

Just in the last 2 weeks I saw countless Rotels on Ebay for half of retail, and 2 Rega Planet 2000's.

Just a thought...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3272&item=3856882903&rd=1
    1 hour left on this one!!!!! Grab it!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2004
    Options
    KA,

It is your dough, your system, your ears, your everything, the mentioned CD players are very good and if you want to stay within redbook I agree you should consider one. My personal prefrence would be the Jolida-100 but that is just me and it is higher than you want to go. I have listened to both and the SACD technology just creates a better musical experience for me on my system. When I went bridged mono power I got a big payback in lower bass extension but I am using a much different speaker than you in my 2 ch. Since you asked about SACD and this is what you wanted to do the Denon is a great buy right now. I have not tried bi-amp, however, I read where a tube amp for the mid/tweeter and solid state for the bass can be pleasing.

Understand, you just bought your speakers and they are very nice and you want to keep them for a while then look at Lsi. A very good idea, to keep things for a while and make changes based on what you hear.

As Steve said, you do not have to spend a ton of money, you can do it on a budget, sticking to the budget is the problem since their is such a great amount of really fine gear out there to consider.

Have fun.

RT1
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I would probably upgrade the CD player with something special as quoted above.

The biggest advice I would give is to buy whatever you buy USED. Whatever you want to buy next you can find it for 40% to 50% what it goes for new. When you are done with it and ready to move on you can re-sell it for the same price. Let Richy Rich buy it first and after a few months when he upgrades you can have it for half and never know the difference.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • keith allen
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Thanx for all the input guys,Ive been convinced to go for the better cd player,because Im not all that critical on dvd playback,and sacd's are still limited on titles and artist.Every thing Ive read ,Ive convinced myself to go with cambridge audio,a d500 or d4se seem to have good reviews as far as the older players go.If ya got one you would part with,feel free to drop me a line!Thanx again guys!
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Go with the '"SE" version Cambridge. Won't cost you much more (used) and its well worth the improvements. Either the D300SE or D500SE. The Ebay D500SE sold for $187 last night.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Good decision to go with Cambridge Audio. After that, trade out those RTi8's for a nice pair of bookshelf speakers. Since you already have a sub, there's no need for floorstanders. There's a 100 options for decent bookshelf speakers (new or used) in the $300 range. The Polk Lsi7 is a great choice. You may be able to sell your 8's, get some bookshelfs, and have money left over for speaker stands, upgrading your interconnects or buying new speaker cables.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • keith allen
    edited December 2004
    Options
    OK,heres where Im at,missed winning an auction on a cambridge d4se,found a couple d500's but they were sold.Found a sony 222es for a great price,but as everybody told me,its not what I want.I have found a jolida jd100a (which I really want) and a music hall mmf-cd25 (which I think I will get)the price is better and its sorta local...your thoughts?
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Both of those are very good players, The Jolida a little better than the MMF, but in my opinion you'd be splittin' hairs.