Corvette Advice sought....

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    It is impressive that it looks pretty stock other than the humongous rear tires.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Yep, that vette has been tubbed.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Noosh, with vehicles that have sat that long, all the shocks are now bad, the rad is junk, and the engine needs a complete tear down and rebuild. Brake lines are unsafe (hard and soft). As mentioned before: fuel tank and pump. Basically any mechanical that touches any fluid need rebuilt or replaced.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Noosh, with vehicles that have sat that long, all the shocks are now bad, the rad is junk, and the engine needs a complete tear down and rebuild. Brake lines are unsafe (hard and soft). As mentioned before: fuel tank and pump. Basically any mechanical that touches any fluid need rebuilt or replaced.

And your point? As I said I am more than capable to handle every aspect of rebuilding the car from the ground up, except paint, none of what you posed matters to me. The car is intended to be a project for me and my boy anyway.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    You gonna drive it or is it just for lookin at?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    FestYboy wrote: »

And your point? As I said I am more than capable to handle every aspect of rebuilding the car from the ground up, except paint, none of what you posed matters to me. The car is intended to be a project for me and my boy anyway.

You asked what to look for...
  • nooshinjohn
    afterburnt wrote: »
    You gonna drive it or is it just for lookin at?
    Drive it a bit, then frame off restoration. If my son wants a driver, that’s what we build. If he wants a concourse show car, that’s what we build and he can drive something else. The goal is to instill in him the value of hard work, setting and achieving a goal, and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I want to start the project with me telling him what we need to do, and end it with him telling me what comes next, and his being able to do it. The hope isn’t he will have so much pride in his accomplishment that he will be less likely to want to wreck it and start over.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Why are you looking for something already? Don't you have several years before he'd be ready to start becoming interested in cars?
  • nooshinjohn
    The kid has more than 100 hot wheels already.... looking to get it now because in 15 years, they won’t be any cheaper. He can also have some history with the car, and daddy gets to have some fun as well.

• Clipdat
    Fair enough, that's cool. You have a point about how they won't really be getting any cheaper. I didn't really think about it that way. :)

Good luck in your search.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Buy something already.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    i see another Demon type ending to this thread ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Fair enough, that's cool. You have a point about how they won't really be getting any cheaper. I didn't really think about it that way. :)

Good luck in your search.

I wouldn't necessarily count on that (the not getting cheaper thing). Maybe not in 15 years, but probably in 20 or so (when the boomers are dying off in droves, and, in fact, mostly gone).

Unless young Asian hipsters with a cloud full of bitcoin develop a taste for 'em.

:(
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Are you dead set on a Corvette John ? I'm just thinking.....if you buy a project car, the restoration costs would be more than you probably think. Have you thought about car insurance for a classic muscle car and a 16 year old driver too ?

I love muscle cars as much as the next guy, but lets face it, they aren't going to be daily drivers.

If I was 16 again, and my options were open, I might go for something with some muscle and class. You pick up a better class of women in those types of cars. :) Maybe along the lines of this....

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/2010-mercedes-benz-e63-amg/6651493291.html

518 HP.....what kid wouldn't appreciate that ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    I love the exhaust note of that 6.3L V8.
  • motorhead43026
    edited August 2018
    Besides, 60's vintage cars are death traps by todays standards.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    John I don't know you and what your background is so don't take offense and ignore if it doesn't apply to you and your kid.

Just don't put a kid in a hot car without some driver training. If you have any race car tracks near you they probably have track days he could sign up for. They will have driving instructors that will teach him how to do high performance driving on the track, not learning on the street which as we know is not safe to do. Racing go karts are another way for a young kid to learn the art of high performance driving.

I had go karts starting when I was 7 years old, a twin engine one at nine and it was some of the best driver training I could get at the time. I like to think that it saved my butt in high school numerous times driving the cars I had then. I knew how to handle cars better than many adults because of my experience in go karts.

Like I said, just trying to help as I know how hot cars and kids can be a deadly combination as I saw numerous times growing up. I had a good friend get killed in high school.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    i see another Demon type ending to this thread ;)

The only other car I am open to would be a first generation Buick Riviera, which was considered the businessman’s Corvette...

8gs2cbibktu1.jpeg
    wmqmtv4aczhc.jpeg
    zjuhtinrjtk3.jpeg

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Boats are fun to drive

Been awhile but I miss that swag in the steering wheel while cruising ....chic's B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I had a 71 riv and a 76. Both had a 455.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nooshinjohn
    The 63/65 cars were no boats, and handle remarkably well. The 64 is a much faster car, thanks to the new transmission that replaced the venerable but very tired Dynaflow. They could also be had with dual quads and 360hp on tap to go with the 470ft/lbs of torque.

You can set that suspension up to feel pretty modern and nimble as well, but it will always be cursed with over assisted power steering, so the road feel is nonexistent.

• nooshinjohn
    They can have my keys when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers. No way in hell I will ever buy or accept a ride in a driverless car.

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I agree 100% especially when they can probably be hacked. I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't mind not having to drive, but I enjoy driving and would hate to have to give it up.

What is sad is how many people don't know how to drive a manual trans anymore.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mhardy6647
    Milito wrote: »
    What is sad is how many people don't know how to drive a manual trans anymore.

What's even sadder is that they've all but disappeared on new cars.
    Both of our kids know how to drive 'em and own & drive cars with manuals.
    The only one left here with a stick is my little beater pickup truck :(

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    They can have my keys when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers. No way in hell I will ever buy or accept a ride in a driverless car.

I'm with ya on that. The liability that comes with driverless cars will catch up to them and make that idea go away. Just look at Tesla now, magnify that by a million or so.

Unless of course they pass a law absolving manufacturers from all liability, but then imagine what you'd pay for car insurance.

I don't get the whole idea. The auto industry is beset with safety regulations/requirements, yet they remove the driver altogether ? ….and want to call that safer ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    -- but it's the drivers who cause most of the problems for which the insurance companies have to pay.

• motorhead43026
    edited August 2018
    LOL, driverless cars are not going away. Tesla is not a driverless car, but autopilot.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    They are gradually getting people used to the idea; don't some cars already correct for lane shift, auto-braking, and stop-and-go traffic assist?
    As long as there are idiots who continue to text and drive and cause violent head-on
    collisions, a driverless car doesn't seem to be a bad thing.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/