LSiM 707 and 705 on sale @ Adorama in cherry

13»

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Even if you can't leave them pulled out because of lifestyle, WAF, kids etc, you'll find out quickly while listening to music, that objects between the speakers kill the sound stage image.

Pull out and play with a little toe in
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ...objects between the speakers kill the sound stage image.

^^^ X 100!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Even if you can't leave them pulled out because of lifestyle, WAF, kids etc, you'll find out quickly while listening to music, that objects between the speakers kill the sound stage image.

I usually try the “inch at a time” trick over a period of time until they are in the middle of the living room.

This actually worked for me! My mom didn’t want my speakers in the middle of my room, so I moved them about an inch a two a time. I got them to where I wanted them to be with no issues.
    Of course, she told me later that she noticed but decided she didn’t care since it was in my room and she didn’t have to look at it. Still got away with it, so it counts! :wink:
  • ab0tj
    ab0tj Posts: 40
    My GF has her own place, so I can do what I want without worrying about WAF :D
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    ab0tj wrote: »
    Got my 705's set up and working on the break-in before I make any judgements on the sound. If anyone in Western CO wants a listen, let me know.

@ab0tj

Just curious. Where in Western Colorado? We have a house in Grand Junction.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • ab0tj
    mark090852 wrote: »
    Grand Junction, on the east side of town
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • mark090852
    Grand Junction, on the east side of town

We're in Orchard Mesa. Spyglass Ridge.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • ab0tj
    I actually used to love up there! Well, on the way up that hill anyway.
  • mark090852
    I actually used to love up there! Well, on the way up that hill anyway.

Small world.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    The long-awaited 705/707 shootout has finished and the 705s didn't last one round.

h9iv5c1hdaui.jpg
    Figure 1. My 705s were shipped in their manufacturer's cartons. My 707s were shipped in nice double walled outer boxes.

affs26amrqix.jpg
    Figure 2. The manufacturer's boxes held up well through UPS's shipping channels.

t5u3gkmool9g.jpg
    Figure 3. Side by side.

2iw49akrl855.jpg
    Figure 4. Then: Home theater with LSiM 705 front speakers.

b5fze0hn89ub.jpg
    Figure 5. Now: Home theater with LSiM 707 front speakers.

There was some brightness and hissy sibilance on some songs, but that went away after six hours of continuous play.

Detriments: None so far.

Benefits:

1. Wider and deeper sound stage.
    2. More image weight at sides of the sound stage.
    3. More clarity, detail, and bass weight and definition.
    4. More cohesive integration with the center channel speaker, which uses the same tweeter, midrange driver, and midwoofer drivers.
    5. A more immersive experience with multichannel music.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited August 2018
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Pull those guys off that back wall and watch them open way up.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2018
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Sade??

Good eye! Yes, that's Sade's "Bring Me Home Live 2011" Blu-ray.
    joecoulson wrote: »

I don't doubt that but...

These 707s are primarily used for home theater and multichannel music, so I need the fronts to be in the same plane as the center channel. The rear of each speaker is 7.5" from the rear wall.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • joecoulson
    In my op, you could run Audyssey with them pulled forward to get the accurate measurements and then preload those to align the sound rather than the speaker. Just my 2c
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Glad you are happy with the bigger speakers in your HT Ray :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    joecoulson wrote: »

I am going to disagree with this. In the 2 rooms i tried the 705's i had on, over a foot from the back seamed to make them sound not as strong
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    erniejade wrote: »
    I am going to disagree with this. In the 2 rooms i tried the 705's i had on, over a foot from the back seamed to make them sound not as strong

The backs of the speaker cabinets on mine are over a foot away from the wall and they sound very good. On recordings with a lot of bass, they sound great; the bass is not boomy or flabby or bloated.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • erniejade
    The down firing port helps with that so you can put them a foot away without making them too boomy.
    Not every room is created equal thats for darn sure.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • joecoulson
    Agreed. I just know for my room, they didn’t open up the soundstage and have a balanced range until they came off the back wall. I’m only sitting 9’ away from the and my couch is not against a back wall. In fact it’s more middle of the room.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    DSkip wrote: »

And your room should never have been created. Period.

Damn!

pvhy7y4u07bq.png
  • erniejade
    Skip is right on with that statement!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Larry's Pug is not amused.... :D
  • Man oh man I missed this sale!!!
  • jayu969
    jayu969 Posts: 112
    Wow, $800 for a new pair of 705's? That is awesome!