I accidentally pushed the wrong button, should I undo it?

gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
edited July 2018 in Music & Movies
rnj75qpvrqy6.jpg
Well I was just searching for reviews on this put it in my cart thought I deleted it, next thing I know I get a e-mail confirmation of my purchase. What to do, I'm happy with my A&M vinyl copy from when it was released back in 79 sounds great.

How many of you have this? I'm looking for some reassurance ,and a pep talk from some of you that have this before I cancel this. I know this is no Crisis What Crisis, or Crime Of The Century, is this Mofi SACD of thier 3rd best album worth it? What you all say anyone going to talk me out of it, or convince me it's worth a purchase?
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The SACD is excellent.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    I rip all my SACD's using an Oppo BDP-105, served from Roon ROCK to PS Audio DirectStream DAC, sans preamp to an upgraded Parasound HCA-1500A feeding fully modded 1.2tl's. I run Roon and make a playlist of each song. Easy to A/B.

My gear is somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean (on a ship :smile: ) but I had one day with the SACD prior to packing. The brief evening I had with it I was able to A/B each version. I'd say my initial impression was cleaner presentation and tight bass. Sound stage was a bit more open.

I have the Crime of the Century and Live in Paris Bluerays, which I really like, and did lots of reading on reviews of BIA and previous versions. Steve Hoffman forum had lots of opinions on past versions...no clear consensus. So, although I have on older CD copy, I purchased it because I'm a Supertramp fan. One thing I learned is you can't get many SACD titles if they end up out of print. Well, you can, but at stupid prices. The Blueray version of BIA had very mixed reviews....many negative. The SACD's worth the gamble and, based on my short time with it, recommended.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Interesting read for anyone that likes this album:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/classic-tracks-supertramp-logical-song
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The LP that lives here is kind of brittle sounding -- tending towards that brightness that plagued 80s pop rekkids.

I hope all y'all's copies sound better than ours :|

Speaking of Breakfast in America -- for reasons that are too abstruse to recount here :p I happened last night to read a contemporary review of it in Stereo Review that was uncharacteristically snarky (though perhaps not inaccurate).

dex31ajcwftk.png

:*

Mind you, I do like the album... but it was pretty... commercial. :)
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    [/quote]

^^^^ FWIW, so were The Beatles albums.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited July 2018
    I rarely use my phone to post. I had written more than was shown. Wonder where it all went?

I too have been reading the music reviews of the 1970's in Stereo Review from the link mrh posted a few weeks back. Thanks again for sharing it, here's the link again.
    https://www.americanradiohistory.com/HiFI-Stereo-Review.htm

Their reviews of many of the albums, most of us really enjoy, were given "meh" or worse reviews back in the day. Really poor reviews at best, most were too short, one word used for Performance, one for Recording. I subscribed to SR during the 70's and even back then I felt they were so off base on many of their so-called reviews. Even DSOTM was slighted somewhat along with many other bands. After reading through many of them anew in the past weeks it all came back again but somewhat funny. They seemed to lend more favor towards individuals and some obscure artists, rather than popular bands.
  • mhardy6647
    aprazer402 wrote: »

^^^^ FWIW, so were The Beatles albums.[/quote]

White Album? ;)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Keep it, it's always good to have an un-mucked with copy. This way there's less wear and tear on the vinyl.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Send it back !!!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Love that album. Keep it.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I have never owned any Supertramp, was never into them, I have seen this album a thousand times throughout the years but never “really” looked at it, I just now realized the plane window looking out over New York, and the waitress is the Statue of Liberty... LOL!!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I have never owned any Supertramp, was never into them, I have seen this album a thousand times throughout the years but never “really” looked at it, I just now realized the plane window looking out over New York, and the waitress is the Statue of Liberty... LOL!!!

Boy can't get anything by you Larry :D lol
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

HAHAHAHA That's hilarious, Larry! I noticed the same exact thing for the first time yesterday. :p

It was like the first time you notice the girls on the cover of The Alan Parson Project's album "Eve" have stuff on their faces behind their veils. :D

ge0ctxd2g9m0.jpg
  • gudnoyez
    Figure I will just keep it as most of the reviews, I have been reading are favorable. I'm looking forward to its arrival.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• mhardy6647
    Supertramp's Even in the Quietest Moments and Crisis? What Crisis? are well worth evaluation, I would opine (with characteristic humility).
    Crime of the Century, too.

:)

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Give it away as karma is the right thing to do, really....
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    If you end up not wanting, hit me up, I will take it off your hands and give it a spin, I will pay you for it of course..
  • FestYboy
    $0.74 and a banana peal.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited July 2018
    FestYboy wrote: »
    $0.74 and a banana peal.

Ah thank yu mespeeled wun uv dose wordz...
  • FestYboy
    Hooked on phonics worked for me ;)

Peel (*as opposed to peal, or piel)
  • mlistens03

I was gonna let it go, but then I realized Viking wouldn’t when he saw it, so I decided to call it out. You should be glad, because I’m much more forgiving when it comes to grammar than Viking. :tongue::wink:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    One of my favorite albums of all time.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • FestYboy
    mlistens03 wrote: »

I was gonna let it go, but then I realized Viking wouldn’t when he saw it, so I decided to call it out. You should be glad, because I’m much more forgiving when it comes to grammar than Viking. :tongue::wink:

Ahh! He's recruited a minion! :p
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Ahh! He's recruited a minion! :p

Not quite. I was trying to save you from the mocking and unending nagging from @Viking64 , by getting it over with in a way that is better for everyone... except for Viking. :tongue:
  • gudnoyez
    18lmz7dl8c7c.jpg

It showed up today #001195 come on Mofi not really digging the Digi Pac type case, but wow what a sonic marvel. I thought the Original A&M LP sounded good, this just sounds phenomenal the highs are somewhat subdued compared to the LP which is a good thing, tight punchy bass a perfect example of what I expect a MOFI SACD to sound like. It's a keeper might as well frame the LP and hang it on the wall as I wont be listening to it again with this in the collection.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• mhardy6647
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    18lmz7dl8c7c.jpg

It showed up today #001195 come on Mofi not really digging the Digi Pac type case, but wow what a sonic marvel. I thought the Original A&M LP sounded good, this just sounds phenomenal the highs are somewhat subdued compared to the LP which is a good thing, tight punchy bass a perfect example of what I expect a MOFI SACD to sound like. It's a keeper might as well frame the LP and hang it on the wall as I wont be listening to it again with this in the collection.

[emphasis added]
    Yeah, that would be a good thing -- I remember the LP being kind of icepick-in-ear bright, though I haven't spun it for a long time. :)

• trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    One of my favorite SACD's. Enjoy!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    18lmz7dl8c7c.jpg

In with 23!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Told ya
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk