The Tale Of 3 Tweeters

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You have to have the correct crossover components and tweeter, you don’t.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    To have a TL SDA 2B you have to modify the crossover, which you admit you haven't done, "do to using these tweeters without the added capacitance" and use the correct tweeter, which you're not. Clear enough?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2018
    That's impossible.

I'm not sure why you keep referring to the SL2500 as a TL tweeter. Not one single Polk Series II speaker carried the TL designation.

The 2B tweeter cut out will accept the SL2000, SL2500, RDO194 and RD0198 without modification.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2018
    It's well established what the 2BTL mod is and what you've got isn't it. Ask the other guys here if your speakers could be considered to be 2BTL's, you won't find one that will say yes.

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    SoundMann1 wrote: »
    The SL2500 measured @ 6 Ohms. what is the resistance of the SL3000?

The DC resistance of the SL3000 and RD-0198 tweeters is 5.6 ohms. However, I must caution you that two tweeters of similar, or the same, DC resistance will have different impedance characteristics under AC load. This difference may damage your amp and/or your speakers...and the damage may occur slowly over time rather than by immediate failure.
    Let me start off by saying that I have been using a pair of SDA 2B's since the mid 90's.

I have used the SL2000, the RDO194, and currently, the SL2500, which I find to perform the best.

There was another forum member who thought the RD0198 sounded better in his SDA SRS speakers than the SL2000/RD0194 tweeters that were made for them. His joy lasted for a little while until his amp shut down on one particular song.

With the 13Khz peak of the SL2000, and the ringing of the RDO194, plus the rather rough crossover point between the drivers, I have not been completely happy until now.

Would you give an example by naming a particular song and explaining how the tweeter ringing affects the sound quality of that song?
    The SL2500 is smoother and more transparent, with better timberal accuracy, with a small trade-off of being a bit thinner in the low presence range do to using these tweeters without the added capacitance.

I have run various frequency sweeps, and haven't found any obvious holes in the response.

I don't doubt that this tweeter substitution sounds better to you. Some of us here, myself included, have done extensive modifications on our SDA loudspeakers. One "mod" we don't recommend is using inappropriate replacement tweeters and drivers. Tweeters and drivers should be thought of as major components of the crossover circuit. As such, they should not be switched out without proper regard to how the switch will affect the overall performance of the crossover circuit.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I suspect.....

lxpzivatw1hc.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    BadSoundMann1,

F1 is correct in saying you won’t find one person here in agreeing with what you’re doing is right, as well as you do not have 2BTL SDA’s, what gear are you using with these speakers?
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited July 2018
    I am reminded of Norman Vincent Peale's quote:

"Big egos have little ears".

(I am not referring to F1nut, Toolfan66, etc.)
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    you do not have 2BTL SDA’s

Yes I do! TL tweeters make TL speakers!

No, you do not...

• Toolfan66
    edited July 2018
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2018
    Well I have a job, and have to go to work.. have a good day...
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Gentlemen, keep it civil, no derogatory name calling please. Thanks.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I suspect.....

lxpzivatw1hc.jpg

Agreed. Reminds me of the fellow who was rabidly adamant that the only way to "fix" the SL2000 tweeter was to put a capacitor in series with it.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Toolfan66
    For the record, I never called anyone a derogatory name...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited July 2018

I see you removed my post so this must be pointed at me.

I was not aware that the word "Circus" was derogatory...
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Thanks for clarifying. The rd0194 is indeed a ringy little bastad. I've heard yet another set that had the same issue as mine did. Monitor 10B's with a new set installed too.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

So saying anything at all that might actually get through to the OP that he does not have TL speakers even though he is using the wrong tweets, no matter how thick headed the individual might be, is off limits and he should be allowed to live with his delusion, and to try and convince others here that he is correct in his false belief?

How about a word from our sponsors, either here in this thread, or privately, telling him he has bad information, explain to him why he is wrong, and suggesting to him the correct path to get what he wants.

It would save us mere mortals that have extensive experience over decades of owning and upgrading these speakers from beating our heads against the wall.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    xschop wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying. The rd0194 is indeed a ringy little bastad. I've heard yet another set that had the same issue as mine did. Monitor 10B's with a new set installed too.

There must be something else going on with the speaker... crossover issue perhaps?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    [quote=

It would save us mere mortals that have extensive experience over decades of owning and upgrading these speakers from beating our heads against the wall.

Well I know I'll take the word of long time knowledgeable members 9 days a week and twice on Sunday over that of a confused newbie.

This discussion has been closed.