Infinite Baffle

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    tyab434ko6bw.jpgpwkfqgd4dswr.jpg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Should of used lock nuts you'll rattle those lose.... lol
    Just mucking with ya Trey
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Should of used lock nuts you'll rattle those lose.... lol
    Just mucking with ya Trey

Or double nut them

Undersold....wasn't me :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    Haha, yeah I might put some of the thread lock on there... I had a small window with the wife gone and I figured I'd ask for forgiveness on this one... Hahahha

Thing installed in a little over a hour, used a floor jack and my removable panels for the driver mounts worked great
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    I actually like the sound better with a smaller cut out, little more upper frequency range but doesn't seem to sacrifice the lower end
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Is this under your floor?
  • VR3
    Yes
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Gotcha, interested in how you finish it off.
  • VR3
    edited March 2018
    I am having a stainless grate made. Will be 1/2 thick plate, 1/2" holes in a waffle pattern. Outer frame will be 1" wide with a1/4 flange for flooring to butt underneath

I am definitely going to make the opening smaller, half the size of the picture

Will mount the second pair of woofers in a few weeks
  • VR3
    Had an extra set of hands yesterday. I was going to mount the other two on the other side if the room but decided there just wasn't enough clearance in the drawl space...

So we moved the previous two over and mounted the next two beside them. Used the same cut out as before and I see no disadvantage to this. For the money invested, the bass is incredible. Effortless, clean, zero distortion, tight, simply amazing. rbgzuatlct5w.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    VR3 wrote: »
    Had an extra set of hands yesterday. I was going to mount the other two on the other side if the room but decided there just wasn't enough clearance in the drawl space...

So we moved the previous two over and mounted the next two beside them. Used the same cut out as before and I see no disadvantage to this. For the money invested, the bass is incredible. Effortless, clean, zero distortion, tight, simply amazing. rbgzuatlct5w.jpg

Wow -- that looks just like one of my attempts at crafting my own speaker cabinets :)
  • VR3
    edited April 2018
    88gvk53cr063.jpeg
    Lol, I know right. I literally used scraps of wood and plywood I had laying around. I'm having a 1/2 thick plate of stainless steel to cover it will be nice and discrete
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Looks like a proper infinite baffle installation to me!

Now just keep those cones dry and moisture free for years of infinite fun :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Looks like a proper infinite baffle installation to me!

Now just keep those cones dry and moisture free for infinite years of infinite fun :wink:

Fixed that for you.

:#

• VR3
    Do I need to do anything in the winter? Just curious...

These subs literally fill my entire house with bass. I can feel low notes in my office area some 30-40 feet away. I love the face it takes up zero floor space... ZERO
  • EndersShadow
    Do I need to do anything in the winter? Just curious...

These subs literally fill my entire house with bass. I can feel low notes in my office area some 30-40 feet away. I love the face it takes up zero floor space... ZERO

Not sure TBH. I think there are some threads on that somewhere. search "cult of infinite baffle", that comes to mind for some reason...

Glad your happy with it.

Sidenote, on another site a bunch of guys are working with FI Audio to build some new versions of his existing subs meant more for HT than Car Audio.

If I ever had the the option of building a IB setup, I'd be all over it, so consider me jealous :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    I just got back on the forum and looked up your progress Trey, glad to see that you went with 4 drivers and are getting the bass that you hoped for.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    Thanks Dennis, they are more than I expected. I am thinking I will use the other two in my office rig in the ceiling lol
  • EndersShadow
    Thanks Dennis, they are more than I expected. I am thinking I will use the other two in my office rig in the ceiling lol

Nah, just buy 4 more.....
  • VR3
    I honestly feel anything more than 4 would equate to structural damage
  • EndersShadow
    I honestly feel anything more than 4 would equate to structural damage

Unrelated, but AVSForum has a thread on some new HT based FI drivers meant for normal sealed use.
  • VR3
    edited July 2018
    nf025xelug22.jpeg

3/8" stainless steel grate... Not going anywhere

Will put a sheet of reticulated foam down and a foam surround to prevent hair and dirty going down in the cubby and make it easy to clean
  • pitdogg2
    That oughta do it
  • EndersShadow
    What about grill cloth under it too?
  • VR3
    edited July 2018
    The reticulated foam looks like grill cloth

Same material Wilson uses on some of their older speakersip1p4b5rc5mh.jpg
  • pitdogg2
  • VR3
    I hated the look of the grills when I first set the Wilsons up but they grew on me really really quick. I really like how easy it is to stretch/remove/replace the foam in the event of age or wear.... it attaches like velcro
  • EndersShadow
    Gotcha, never seen that stuff before. Wheres the installed pic Trey? Cmon.... being lazy I take it?
  • VR3
    Not quite ready to install it. Been slammed at work the past month so haven't had much time on my hands
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Next order of business will be to find and eliminate everything in the house that rattles :D