dbx Soundfield SF-100

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 2,987
I picked up a really clean pair of these speakers off CL. dbx is known primarily for pro-equipment, but they did have a few consumer products. From what I have read, it can be hit-or-miss with their consumer products (ownership change), so do your research. After reading some favorable information about this model, the dbx Soundfield SF-100, I decided to go for it at $150. Wow, what a great value, even at twice that amount!
wup45jpzvgz1.jpg
Here's an old 'HiFi Classic' review of them http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/dbx-soundfield-100-135.html

These speakers have an interesting geometry, with non-perpendicular angles on the baffles.
03p04xy3li5e.jpg
rutx4lyrbj4a.jpg
There are five drivers per speaker: 3 on the main baffle, and two more tweeters - one on each of the two other baffles.
n470qz759uky.jpg
kjfp25ugkrag.jpg
The cabinets are made from 3/4" press-wood with handsome veneers...very solid. As you might expect with three tweeters, the sound is rather bright, but not fatiguing IMO. I happen to like it a bit brighter, so it works well for me. But with 10" woofers, there is no lack of bass either. I do wish they had more mid-range presence, but frankly, with good clean power, you can turn them up and get as much mid-range as you can handle. I was driving them with a McCormack DNA-125 power amp.

These speakers can really fill a space with good sound. It's rather refreshing to have a pair of speakers that aren't so dependent on positioning, and since my 'listening space' is also very much a 'living space' as well, multi-dimensional listening is a huge plus :)
Anyway, if you happen to run across a pair of these speakers, give them serious consideration!
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments