Steve McCormack is really out

leftwinger57
leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
edited July 2018 in Electronics
Most of you hi-end amplifier owners already know that the Mcormack amplifiers do not exist any more as new machines. I was curious and the small window says they were bought out by the very high end Conrad-Johnson. Ok way out of my league but people loved Steve's amps and when he rehabbed them and signed is work. There was a number to call and I did and Steve is totally out of the picture. Conrad-Johnson offers only a cursory a cleaning service and no up grades this for $130 + plus shipping both ways. Who buys Conrad -JOHNSON these days ?
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2018
    It's McCormack.

Is this where you called? http://smcaudio.com/

A lot of folks still buy C-J gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I contacted Steve about a month ago to inquire about possible work and he was still offering upgrades then.
  • leftwinger57
    Thanks for the correction even though everyone on this here forum knew who I was talking about. Yes it's nice to correct !!! I don't know of anyone buying high expensive Conrad -Gear. Maybe eruropeans flushed w/ cash. ??
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Thanks for the correction even though everyone on this here forum knew who I was talking about. Yes it's nice to correct !!! I don't know of anyone buying high expensive Conrad -Gear. Maybe eruropeans flushed w/ cash. ??

Dude, what on earth are you talking about ? CJ gear is not any more expensive than many other brands. Their used gear is a bargain too and McCormack amps can be had for as little as 6-700 bucks. Hardly Euro inspired richness.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    We were confused about who you actually called. And, we just want to try to avoid spreading the word that Steve McCormack is out of the game or is some how done offering mods. His ModSquad service at smcaudio.com is still fully operational and he still listens to each amp that comes through before it goes back out to the customer.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Drove by a nice but not terribly remarkable house this afternoon with a Lamborghini in the driveway. Plenty of "haves" out there, at least in New England. Plenty.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2018

Lew, the point is you called Conrad-Johnson instead of Steve McCormack. Of course, they are going to tell you he's not with them because he isn't, he has his own business.

The fact that someone answered the phone at C-J should have told you people are buying their gear. If they weren't, no one would have answered the phone.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• leftwinger57
    So Skip, as impressed w/ the high end customers how many did you sell or did they just oogle like common folk. I did hear that Conrad Johnson has a big following in Japan. Seems to go w/ the JBL L-100s and 4311s going for mucho coin along w/ McINTOSH. I presented this over on AK. There is a Geico commercial w/ strategically placed 4311s placed so the tweeters and mids can't be seen. I think these are them. In a very neat hip apt excluding the cat litter. (i watch way to much tv)

wxlexeiwqfnz.png

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    DSkip wrote: »
    Lew, I've had a few parties interested in the $50,000 MastersounD PF100 monoblocks. I've also had more than one party inquire about the $100,000 Rosso Fiorentino Florentia.

The customer base is here. Some of these guys can create quite the humbling experience even for me, the distributor.

I think Lew's idea of expensive is anything over 500 bucks. :)

Many here in the states use CJ gear. Just because you don't see them at BestBuy doesn't mean only the rich can afford them. Many other brands you probably never heard of also sell well here.

Many of the older models to these more expensive brands are certainly within reach of the common folk. Skip brought up he has customers looking at 50k gear, there is a heck of a lot of real estate below that, even just below 5k.

Audio has products for every wallet, just like most any other consumer products. Even Polk, that's why they have different series of speakers, aimed at different segments of their customer base. Same with cars, appliances, clothes, etc.

Sounds more like your pissed off you can't afford CJ gear Lew. Heck, I'm pissed off I can't afford nicer gear too, but I don't berate any brand for being expensive. I'm not pissed at Mercedes because I can't afford one. Oh wait, I can afford one, if it was 3 years old. :) Same goes for audio products, you may not be able to afford new retail prices, but some models at a few years old suddenly become within reach.

I've often said, as an example,that some of these higher end brands processors make great SS 2 channel pre amps. you can pick them up for under 500 bucks, sometimes under 300. Most sold new for 2-3k. You just have to know what to look for....and where.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Thanks for the correction even though everyone on this here forum knew who I was talking about??

I have no clue who or what you are talking about. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited May 2019
    Gosh I just learned this! Yeah I'm very happy with my DNA125! But I need a moment, a moment of silence! Sad really.

Good to see that he still services his products though!
    http://www.mccormackaudio.com/index1.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    verb wrote: »
    Gosh I just learned this! Yeah I'm very happy with my DNA125! But I need a moment, a moment of silence! Sad really.

Good to see that he still services his products though!
    http://www.mccormackaudio.com/index1.html

It is my understanding that Steve McCormack still does upgrades/mods on McCormack products via his own company, SMc Audio.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Yep. Always good to see the products can still be worked on. For me, alleviates a bit of apprehension when buying vintage gear. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.