Replacement Tweeters for RTi A7

Fried my tweeters in my two Polk Audio RTi A7 towers, pulled them out and tried to check the resistance across the tweeter itself, no resistance reading so I'm guessing there is an open in the tweeter somewhere. I called Polk Audio and they quoted me at $72 per tweeter. Does anyone know of some tweeters that they would recommend as an upgrade, or could at least point me in the direction of what the RTi tweeter specs are so I can find a cheaper replacement for them?

Thanks.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2018
    No specs are available for current production drivers, so you'll have to pay the asking price.

You should also check the crossovers for burnt resistors.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    This^^^ But you might want to tell Polk you are a member, you might get a small discount on the tweeters..
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yep, I'd check the crossovers too. Be a shame if you bought 2 new tweeters only to find out they still won't work.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    And keep the volume in check. Fried tweeters are usually a sign you're pushing the amp into clipping. What are you powering them with?
  • I’ll double check the resistor. I think the cause is most likely (other people) pulling the 2.5mm jack out of their phones/laptops while the volume is on high causing lots of clipping. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much I can really do about it. I always tell people to turn it off/down before unplugging it, but people say they always “forgot” before doing it again the next day. I don’t think I can do too much about that because drunk college kids don’t seem to care or think ahead. Maybe I’ll purchase a new stereo receiver and only connect with Bluetooth or ChromeCast so people aren’t able to plug in their phones.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk.

What receiver are you using, where is the volume at, and most importantly, tell your friends they are no longer allowed to touch your gear.

Tell them they will have to cough up the money for all repairs if they do!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • I’m using an Onkyo TX-8522. I usually have it up to half volume. Usually just below the point where I can’t hear much difference by increasing the volume knob. It’s at a good level but not hurting my ears.

I just checked and it looked like the resistor labeled 5w2r7j is a bit burnt. I’ll try replacing that before getting new tweeters. Any way I can check whether the tweeters are working before I go about ordering a new resistor and soldering it on? Also, any recommendations on where to find a new one? Is this something I can go to Home Depot and find?

Also, I think I might try and print some sort of enclosure around the 3.5mm jack and my ChromeCast that prevents anyone from removing it without a set of tools. There isn’t really an easy way to have people agree not to try and change music when your house has 50 college kids in it and half of them think everyone else needs to hear their newest Spotify playlist.

I also have five roomates, so expecting them and any friends they invite over to treat the audio equipment properly is (completely reasonable, but realistically) setting myself up for disappointment.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    replace both speaker resistors with a Vishay-Mills 12watt 2.7ohm. You can test the tweeter with volt/ohm meter set to ohm's. if it registers 0.00 they are bad.
  • F1nut
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    replace both speaker resistors with a Vishay-Mills 12watt 2.7ohm. You can test the tweeter with volt/ohm meter set to ohm's. if it registers 0.00 they are bad.

Normally I would agree with going to a higher wattage resistor, but in his case that may guarantee damaging the tweeters. It might be better to stock up on 5 watt resistors.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danzspot
    danzspot Posts: 2
    Hey Kids..I own a pair of RT 16 Tower Speakers. Bought em back in mid 1990's..($850 for the pair) I have kept them in tip top shape.Dont drive them high very often at all, however, was listening to some pop other day, and put my ear to both tweets, and I believe there shot..what would anyone suggested I replace them with??.I haven't pull either one to check wiring yet...Thanks.
  • F1nut
    One post per question is more than enough.

President of Club Polk

• teamjhertz
    teamjhertz Posts: 361
    I might have a spare tweeter if you give me the model number off of yours so i can double check