Door, meet CD tray

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,558
edited July 2018 in The Clubhouse
I can't adequately describe how incredibly pissed off I am about this, but I slammed my ******* bedroom door into the open CD tray of my mint condition Rotel RCD-1072 CD player earlier.

Yeah, unfortunately the door won't clear the tray if it's open, and I even made a mental note to myself about this the other day.

I left the tray open when I went to go get a new CD to play earlier, and upon going back into the bedroom, eagerly closed the door with GUSTO directly into the open CD tray. I hit it with so much force that the entire player moved and shifted over to the left a few inches on the rack. Awesome.

I tried opening and closing the tray and it seems like it's rubbing now and it got stuck 3/4 of the way going in. I tried gently bending the tray to the right and now it opens and closes without getting stuck. However, it still sounds like there's plastic on plastic rubbing and it doesn't open and close with the same speed and sound it used to. It's slower and it sounds labored now.

I don't think it's slipped a gear, but rather something might be bent inside. I'll have to open it up soon and take a look. Such a ******* boneheaded mistake. :s

ypqwfijoggul.jpg

p4407aqqtxcy.jpg

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    You have my sympathies. Eventually, we all do something stupid. Last week I turned too soon at gas station, and put a big dent in the right side of my car with a pole they had to protect the pumps. Fourteen years, and I just had a few minor scratches on my car, now it is FUBAR. LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I dropped something on a transformer cover on one of my amplifiers. I was exceptionally lucky that a custom paint shop here was able to repair it without affecting the pinstripe and signature Bob did on the back of it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Ouch Skip. That is definitely worse than my flub. Sorry about that speaker.

The player still seems to read and play CDs, just tested it with everything else off. I don't like how the tray opens and closes now though. It's going to bug me every time I use it and remind me of my epic fail.

I'll pop the top and take a look inside this week to see what I can see.
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2018
    Nice 10,000th post! Sorry about your Mazda :(
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You have my sympathies. Eventually, we all do something stupid. Last week I turned too soon at gas station, and put a big dent in the right side of my car with a pole they had to protect the pumps. Fourteen years, and I just had a few minor scratches on my car, now it is FUBAR. LOL.

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    I feel your pain Clip. Hope it's an easy fix, possibly by the replacement of a simple non-electric part.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2018
    Chances are extremely high that your transport is entirely plastic. It may have cracked the frame or it may have jarred it cockeyed where it's screwed down to the support or chassis.

You should not use it until you figure out what's going on.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    F1nut wrote: »
    Chances are extremely high that your transport is entirely plastic. It may have cracked the frame or it may have jarred it cockeyed where it's screwed down to the support or chassis.

That would be my supposition as well -- not likely to bend anything (although I suppose some plastics might bend).

I'd pop the hood and see what's goin' on, were it mine (and FWIW).

There aren't all that many OEMs for the transport and ancillary hardware, are there? Perhaps a transplant could be performed(?).
  • Clipdat
    Thanks, I think you're probably right, I bet something just got shifted and hopefully I can fix it. Thought about a transport swap as well, would probably just be a matter of finding out which model # it is and purchasing one.

I was irrationally angry and pissed off about this for several hours last night after it happened. Couldn't even look at it right away, had to leave the area and walk outside for some air, fists balled up extremely tight, etc. Wasn't pretty. Then last night when I was trying to sleep, the mental image of me smacking the door into it kept repeating in my head. I got issues.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that it was in great condition, I spent nearly $400 on it, and now I've damaged it through carelessness. I'm very particular about keeping my gear in good shape, so a mistake like this just stings.
    F1nut wrote: »

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice 10,000th post! Sorry about your Mazda :(

LOL. I didn't even notice that. I think denting my car bothered me more than blowing up my S5 speakers a few years ago. Both were bone head moves. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2018
    Sorry to hear the news on your CDP. I would never put my rack that close to a door just because of your predicament. I usually keep my tray open, no reason to close it if I'm going to listen to another CD or SACD.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    How's the door?
  • Clipdat
    LOL that was my train of thought as well. Gotta minimize unnecessary open/close cycles! And yeah the placement of the rack isn't ideal, but it's the only option
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the news on your CDP. I would never put my rack that close to a door just because of your predicament. I usually keep my tray open, no reason to close it if I'm going to listen to another CD or SACD.

That's funny you should ask, it's an oldschool hardwood door. I looked and there's no marks/dents on it at all.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    How's the door?

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Good thing it wasn't an old Nokia phone... Would need a new door
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    I never said anywhere in this thread that I hate myself, but thanks for showing everyone your true feelings about me.
    msg wrote: »
    Ouch, man. Sorry to hear this.
    I can understand hating yourself. I mean, it's easy to hate you.

I can relate to this sort of thing, as well. The compulsive, self-torture replay, etc. I've realized that I sometimes have a hard time getting my head around the fact that, strangely to me, there's no Undo button in life.

• Hermitism
    When I bought my Pioneer SC-05 off of CL, I drove my Miata to Cincinnati because I needed to burn up the gas that was in it because it was getting old. It's not the most roomy car. I bought the Pio, but it was too tall for the trunk. Too wide for the seat. So I tried sliding it onto the floorboard and a screw head underneath the dash scraped the paint off the top of the Pio. It was very small, but I know it's there. I couldn't decide whether to cry or scream. You should have heard the words that came out of my mouth the entire trip home.
  • Clipdat
    Good to know that a SC-05 doesn't fit in a Miata!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I never said anywhere in this thread that I hate myself, but thanks for showing everyone your true feelings about me.
    Sorry man, I was just connecting the dots for you :D<3B)
    When I bought my Pioneer SC-05 off of CL, I drove my Miata to Cincinnati because I needed to burn up the gas that was in it because it was getting old. It's not the most roomy car. I bought the Pio, but it was too tall for the trunk. Too wide for the seat. So I tried sliding it onto the floorboard and a screw head underneath the dash scraped the paint off the top of the Pio. It was very small, but I know it's there. I couldn't decide whether to cry or scream. You should have heard the words that came out of my mouth the entire trip home.
    I remember reading about this!

I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Good to know that a SC-05 doesn't fit in a Miata!
    The seller made fun of me.
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2018
    For owning a Miata?
  • Hermitism
    Probably.

He already had my money.
  • Clipdat
    I don't know why people don't like Miatas. What's not to like about a lightweight, inexpensive, rear wheel drive sports car? I'd like to be able to drive one some day, and the new ones are gorgeous.
  • Hermitism
    I don't know why people don't like Miatas. What's not to like about a lightweight, inexpensive, rear wheel drive sports car? I'd like to be able to drive one some day, and the new ones are gorgeous.

This movie didn't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivDkluAdvts
  • Clipdat
    The trunk rack is a little much.
  • msg
    This movie didn't help.
    Neither did showing up with a bunch of celery.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Ribbing aside, celery terms can lead to a bunch of confusion.
  • msg
    Vanilla needs a clever emoji for the lazy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Sorry to hear Drew. Hope it can be fixed. Man looking at that pic the entry door is way to close for comfort. No kids in the house? That transport would have been a goner a long time ago!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Oh, by the way, here's the long term solution for the OP's plight.

Pocket door.

B)

y8kk8qcd7pah.png

We actually have two of 'em in this house to save space relative to a regular hinged door.

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Pocket doors are the schiznit.