Its been soooooo hot here...

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Took a 20 mike bike ride today in SW Florida around 11:30am.... It was about 92 or 93... Dew point at 75ish.... around a 5 mph breeze. Typical summer day here. But you sweat when the humidity is low too... it just evaporates quicker... Yeah you sweat but it's good for you just as long as you can keep hydrated... It was hotter up north today than it was in FL...Then we got a little rain shower and all is well...

Hottest place I ever felt was Columbia SC in July.... I felt like the my feet were on fire thru my shoes and socks in a parking lot.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I think I felt that kind of heat one day below Atlanta Georgia. I asked a driver I was in charge of how the heck do you guys work in this heat? He said SLOWLY. :D

I'll never forget that answer! He was a laid back cool driver that NEVER, EVER complained about anything!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Ok you guys, here in Canada's capital it was 120f ... with humidity so remember that when you poke fun as to how cold it is here.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Great photo!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    Lived in Michigan my whole life then moved out west (Reno) almost 9 years ago. Don't plan on moving back as we love the weather out here to much. Here in the high desert it may hit 100+ on a few days in summer, but it's still better than 85 and humid - my opinion anyway. I love the low humidity and the cool nights. And if it gets too hot, we are 30 minutes away from Tahoe which is typically 10-15 degrees cooler and still low humidity. Weather is great, and no state income tax with California (good to visit but without the high cost of living) right over the mountains.

4kt9c9dzxwds.png

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Gray skies and lots of ash in the air thanks to the wildfires ~30 miles away. Ugh.

Orange skies in the Bay? Wildfire getting closer?
    g6glwyku1t3p.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    98 degrees F with a wind chill of 107. 80% humidity.

And the Magic Smoke(tm) left my A/C compressor last night.
    Fie!
  • Tony M
    edited July 2018
    I just had the condensation tube get blocked by slime at the bug trap U in our furnace A/C room and it has an electronic relay to shut down the system. I was pretty sick when this was installed years ago and forgot about it. :s

I thought our system not working was because the outside units' Starter capacitor stopped working. A service tech guy from that Co. showed up and pulled the electronic float up and BAM, the outside unit came on and all was well. He cleaned the slime out and did a system check.

114.00 :s:# for 1 min. to fix and 15 min. to do the rest. :'(

I almost called the main office when that bill came in but I was thankful they showed up within an hour to help us.

So what I'm saying here, with these drain clog sensing floats that shut down our systems, maybe all of us will learn from my forgetfulness and check those electronic float safety sensors FIRST if the A/C stops working. Especially in the humid Southern States. ;)
  • Tony M
    edited July 2018
    Thank God I worked with a Master Plumber and Mechanic and Electrician for 7 years. He taught me A LOT! I re-plumbed this fixer upper 95% by my self and so far so good. A co-worker helped me hook up the 4" drain pipe from under my house out to the City's hook up. :)

I replaced the rubber valve stem seals in my main baths fixtures years ago. Yep, 15 min. each, maybe. 32 years here and I've replaced toilet fill valves a few times too. I need to do the back one asap.

Thanks for the heads up on Benjamin Franklin Plumbing's pricing. :s
    We have one franchise here.

My boss was pretty fair. But he ran an efficient business because he had hard working honest guys working for him. He also did Industrial pipe cleaning! $$$$$$ ;)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ^^ eeeewwwww, no thank you, that's about 25° too high for me.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Tony M wrote: »
    I just had the condensation tube get blocked by slime at the bug trap U in our furnace A/C room and it has an electronic relay to shut down the system. I was pretty sick when this was installed years ago and forgot about it. :s

I thought our system not working was because the outside units' Starter capacitor stopped working. A service tech guy from that Co. showed up and pulled the electronic float up and BAM, the outside unit came on and all was well. He cleaned the slime out and did a system check.

114.00 :s:# for 1 min. to fix and 15 min. to do the rest. :'(

I almost called the main office when that bill came in but I was thankful they showed up within an hour to help us.

So what I'm saying here, with these drain clog sensing floats that shut down our systems, maybe all of us will learn from my forgetfulness and check those electronic float safety sensors FIRST if the A/C stops working. Especially in the humid Southern States. ;)

Recommend you pour a cup of vinegar down your drain line once a month during the cooling season.

That slime was algae. You AC make water through condensation. That pure water is a breeding ground for algae. When you shut the system down for a few days, water evaporates and the algae dies.

It forms a cardboard like substance and sticks to the drain line. The new algae will collect against the dead stuff, and clog up. Kill the algae while water is being made, and flowing, and no dead stuff in the piping.

You may also want to clean the condenser coils once a year. Kill the power to the condenser, and rinse it off with a garden hose. That and filter changes will add a few years to your AC, as well as make it operate better.

Nothing is full proof when it comes to drain lines. Sometimes they will clog up a week after they have been cleaned. If it clogs again, find the out let, get a shop-vac and a rag, and try to suck the clog out. Works about half the time.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    verb wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Gray skies and lots of ash in the air thanks to the wildfires ~30 miles away. Ugh.

Orange skies in the Bay? Wildfire getting closer?
    g6glwyku1t3p.png

Yes, and it is only July. It is going to get worse and worse every year for the whole country/world.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    So today, rather tonight, after finishing the wood floors upstairs, my AC decided to quit. Sumbeech. I pulled the cover off the condenser housing (my clue was some water on the floor), and it was completely frozen! I just spend the last 3 hours with a heat gun thawing it out. Just now got it all buttoned up, and voila cold air. Gonna call a service technician tomorrow to check everything out.

It's been hot here yes, and this is our 2nd summer at the new house, but never had a guy come out and check the furnace/AC out. Lessons learned. Joys of home ownership.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The evap core needs more air flow... Look for clogged filters and vents, and make sure the drain is clear.
  • verb
    FestYboy wrote: »
    The evap core needs more air flow... Look for clogged filters and vents, and make sure the drain is clear.

Yep. Thanks Festivus. All checked out. Most likely low on refrigerant. More to come.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited July 2018
    I, for one, would rather sweat than freeze. Next thing you know everyone will be whining about the cold weather. All y'all stop complaining and deal with it! ;):p
    In all seriousness, I easily go through 3 t shirts and 2 showers a day down here in SW Ga. in the summer!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Smallies are the shiznet
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    DSkip wrote: »
    I don't mind $100 for a service call. I understand why it is that price. What I DONT understand is plumbers charging $350 to change the washer in a $10 bathtub faucet. 5 minutes of work is a weeks worth of pay for some. Absolutely ridiculous.

My wife did that call and didn't argue the price prior. This was with Benjamin Franklin plumbing. Will never use their services again.

Yes, I've heard some people in my area say they weren't too happy with what they charge for their plumbing services. A-1 Air is another one to stay away from.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Good, cheap, or fast. Pick any two.

You call any service tech to your house, that rule always applies. Doesn’t matter if it’s a plumber, electrician, appliance guy or HVAC guy, the rule applies.

Just to let everybody know, the people in these trades usually know one another, and many are friends. The price spread is usually around 20 percent.

Call the 350 the high end, that would make the low end 280. Your choice is now fast or good.

Maybe it would take 2 or 3 weeks for the plumber to get there, and fix the issue. If it’s worth $70 you made a bad choice.

Maybe the plumber for 280 changed one o’ring and it starts leaking again in a year. The guy who charges 350 may have replaced the cartridge, and you have no issues for 10 years.

Your choice.

Not trying to defend any company’s pricing or knowledge level. Just saying this is the reality of the situation.

• verb
    In England (33C, 92F), the pavement softened up such that this truck fell through!
    q8vljv80vi62.png
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    This song is appropriate

https://youtu.be/XE2fnYpwrng
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Wow soft streets in England...