Denon AVR switching HDMI inputs by itself

polrbehr
polrbehr Posts: 2,825
So I have a Denon 3312ci about 5 years old, the past week or so it will suddenly
just switch inputs without any warning. For example, my girls can be playing a PS4 game, and it will just change to the Oppo input on its own, even though the Oppo isn't turned on.

It is connected via ethernet to my home network, so I'm pretty sure its firmware is updated. Is this the beginning of the end for the HDMI board? Anyone ever hear of this problem?

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited June 2018
    polrbehr wrote: »
    So I have a Denon 3312ci about 5 years old, the past week or so it will suddenly
    just switch inputs without any warning. For example, my girls can be playing a PS4 game, and it will just change to the Oppo input on its own, even though the Oppo isn't turned on.

It is connected via ethernet to my home network, so I'm pretty sure its firmware is updated. Is this the beginning of the end for the HDMI board? Anyone ever hear of this problem?

My dads Pioneer SC-25 does this sometimes. A feature we didn’t even know it had is that it will automagically switches to a input receiving signal, and we found it when we got our Apple TV. But after two weeks it began to do this. We haven’t found the setting yet, but I imagine if you were to turn it off it would work.
    Although ours, instead of switching to another HDMI, switches to either phone or tuner.
    Micah
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Any changes in the system preceding this? It happens with mine through the ARC input, but I'm guessing yours doesn't have that, and even if it did, to just start all of the sudden is very strange. If all else fails, I would try a factory reset. Sometimes that can exorcise the demons...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,740
    Way back in the day.. I used to take the spare cable box remote and change channels from outside on my dad.....just sayin. B)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited June 2018
    gmcman wrote: »
    Way back in the day.. I used to take the spare cable box remote and change channels from outside on my dad.....just sayin. B)

As amusing as ^^ that ^^ might be, interrupting either of my girls while they are playing is not something I am prepared to risk my well-being on... :)

@mlistens03 I am certain the Oppo was not powered on, nor were any other external devices.

@rooftop59 no changes I can think of. We added a FireStick several months back, but that is connected directly to the TV, not to the Denon at all. So far it's only happened when the PS4 is in use, I will try watching a Bluray on the Oppo and see if it switches to another input?
    After that, I guess trying a hard reset is the logical next step.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    For us, nothing else was on either. It just would switch. Although once we got on the input and it fully loaded, it stayed there unless it idled for a while or something.
    Micah