HVLP Sprayers - Need Advice

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
Hello my esteemed Polkies. I'm in the middle of finishing up putting wood flooring in the upstairs bedrooms, and need to refinish the painted baseboards. I filled all the nail holes and imperfections, sanded em, now I need to paint.

I don't like the stipple of a roller for them, and the paint brush always leaves a bit of brush mark. So I would like to spray em.

Any experience or recommendations? Thanks in advance! :smile:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Get the hand held Graco, I love my airless.
  • verb
    I read about them. What model number do you have?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I have the mid sized magnum x5 like unit from a few years ago. It's easy to use and overbuilt enough to spray my entire barn with ease.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Thin the paint a little bit and clean it up real good after done. Use yellow FROG tape and tuck regular masking tape inbetween the carpet and trim as best you can, using construction paper to mask the walls and flooring.

Test the HVLP sprayer on a piece of wood you don't care about. Once it's good to go, rock on with it. Don't put more than a 2mil paint layer on or you will introduce drips.

Any HVLP sprayer and an air compressor will do. Even the el-cheapo's. One continuous run is better than stopping and going again, as they will tend to spit when engaging and releasing.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Thin the paint a little bit and clean it up real good after done. Use yellow FROG tape and tuck regular masking tape inbetween the carpet and trim as best you can, using construction paper to mask the walls and flooring.

Test the HVLP sprayer on a piece of wood you don't care about. Once it's good to go, rock on with it. Don't put more than a 2mil paint layer on or you will introduce drips.

Any HVLP sprayer and an air compressor will do. Even the el-cheapo's. One continuous run is better than stopping and going again, as they will tend to spit when engaging and releasing.

Tom

And this dude knows paint.... I've seen his work. Immaculate.
  • treitz3
    Russ, don't spread that kind of thing. People may get the wrong impression man.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Russ, don't spread that kind of thing. People may get the wrong impression man.

Tom
    What makes you say that? :)

h1lv0ltz3qs1.jpeg
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • verb
    So I settled on the Graco TC Pro corded version. BNIB on CL for 1/2 price! Sprayed latex primer on the baseboards. So far, so good. Works great!
    21hvf1c0y73p.png
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited June 2018
    verb wrote: »
    So I settled on the Graco TC Pro corded version. BNIB on CL for 1/2 price! Sprayed latex primer on the baseboards. So far, so good. Works great!
    21hvf1c0y73p.png

I also have that model...love it for project work. I use a larger grayco for fences and other larger projects,
  • treitz3
    Oh yeah, that'll get the job done......and a few hundred more too.

Tom