MQA CDs available from Japan

BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,548
I think I will buy a few, rip the files, and then play them through my Lumin for the full MQA experience.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/Worlds_First_HiRes_CD_by_Universal_Music_Japan
Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1 - X1 power supply
Sony XA-5400ES SACD
Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 2,260
    I like the couple of MQA downloads I have.

Nice soundstage, detailed. Vocals seems well placed with good space between instruments.

Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku Ultra : Oppo UDP-203 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 5,871
    edited June 2018
    There was some negative commentary regarding MQA in the letters from readers section in the June issue of Stereophile.
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 2,260
    The ZZ Top "First Album" 192/24 MQA that I have is closest that I have found to my original vinyl pressing.

Cleaner, black background that the vinyl has never been able to achieve for me. But has the texture and warmth that I LOVE from the original pressing.

I also have the Rhino non-remastered version of "First Album". It's not bad, but lacks the warmth and texture that the MQA brought to the table.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku Ultra : Oppo UDP-203 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
  • Jetmaker737Jetmaker737 Posts: 863
    I do not care for the sound of MQA that I've heard. Uninvolving is how I'd describe it.
    System
    Yamaha A-S3000 Integrated Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    PS Audio Directream Jr| Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR