mesquite wood

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
how many of you smoke with mesquite wood and why? I can't stand it.
my go to woods are hickory, oak, and pecan.
have yet to try fruit woods such as peach and apple.
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It and cherry smell good when burning.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Ever tried Alder wood for smoking/grilling?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I've used both mesquite and hickory wood chips when grilling with charcoal. I find that they both make a minor improvement on the taste of the meat and a major improvement on the smell of the smoke. :p

I also like using Stubb's Liquid Smoke (Both mesquite and hickory) when cooking inside.

r01foxq46hpx.jpg

u2acholb1vbc.jpg

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Cherry, will be experimenting with persimmon. I wont eat that crap fruit but I have read that it's good wood for smoke
  • afterburnt
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Ever tried Alder wood for smoking/grilling?

I am guessing Alder aint a hard wood
  • marvda1
    I don't soak my wood, use log splits for my stick burner.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I use oak as my primary and flavor with Mequite, or Hickory.

Oak with Pecan chicken only

I use alder and cherry grilling fish
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    My Dad has a barrel smoker, I don't know what wood he uses but I love it. When I have to go tinky-poopoo a few hours afterwards, it always smells like smoke. Don't get me started talking about asparagus.

yj9dhmtugea3.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    I like and use cherry wood to smoke. I also like mesquite, i find it burns hot and keeps a even temp longer. Peach is also on my list , when i can get it.
  • marvda1
    Yep2 wrote: »
    I like soaking cause it adds some moisture/steam.
    To each his own. :p

try a water pan
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I like and use cherry wood to smoke. I also like mesquite, i find it burns hot and keeps a even temp longer. Peach is also on my list , when i can get it.

mesquite is great for steaks and grilling because of the higher temps, but the longer you use it to smoke the stronger it gets.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    To much pecan, hickory, or mesquite will also be overwhelming IMHO

pending where you live including cost, oak or alders make a better base..again IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    marvda1 wrote: »

mesquite is great for steaks and grilling because of the higher temps, but the longer you use it to smoke the stronger it gets.

Yes a little goes a long way.
  • marvda1
    you have to run that clean smoke(thin blue).
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    here's something I ran across.

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. A very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some people say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. I don't know if I get the flavor of bacon from this wood, but it does taste like BBQ to me. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning. Can be bitter. My family doesn't like it if I use only mesquite in the fire. They feel it makes the food "hot" and "spicy."

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CYPRESS, etc.
    Puritan PSM156
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    marvda1 wrote: »
    you have to run that clean smoke(thin blue).

This......you should have to look closely to see if its still smoking. If you see brown smoke shooting out everywhere your not doing it right. You are coating your food with creosote.

Alder is (barely) classified as a hardwood and it has a very mild smoke. It is the goto wood for smoking fish but I like something stronger for pork and beef.

I use mostly Oak because I can get that wood the easiest around here. Cherry is also a great choice. Unfortunately I used it all up!

I do use liquid smoke on occasion for sausage and jerkey but I do not like the Stubbs brand. It is not pure liquid smoke. Its liquid smoke in his sweetened flavoring mix. Look at the labels. The good stuff just has liquid smoke as its only ingredient. Use it sparingly 1-2 tsp for 5 lbs of meat.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Yep2 wrote: »
    A little white oak & pecan for me.
    Soak in water & some bourbon.
    I mainly smoke Venison.
    The Jack Daniels barrel chips are excellent also IMHO (reasonably priced).
    w4nwqrj9htna.jpeg

I use these they are from barrels that held Jack Daniels, found out the hard way not to leave them in a bowl of water soaking where the dogs can get at it as the water does turn light brown smells like whiskey and probably has a high alcohol content. One of are dogs drank from the bowl and before we realized he drank quite a bit of it he was not doing to good almost took him to the vet, he slept it off. I always keep the bowl on the work bench in the garage when I'm soaking these chips.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I use the chunks in my mes 30".
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    When I smoke meats, it's usually pork which I prefer to use apple and cherry wood. When I do poultry, I add a few chips of apple or cherry. I've used hickory wood when smoking a beef brisket or rib roast with very good results. I usually soak the wood chips before using. I have tried mesquite but can't remember the results. I prefer the other woods, so I'm biased. I have a bag of pecan chips I've been wanting to try for a long time.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited June 2018

This place is near our vacation home in Western Colorado, so we just stop by and pick up our wood for smoking on our Kamado Joe. We can always get peach wood there. They ship all over the country. Great stuff. https://fruitawood.com/features/
    Post edited by mark090852 on
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    I use hickory and apple wood. Mesquite is good for steaks, but I would never use it on a low and slow smoke.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • afterburnt
    Has anyone used persimmon? I have a bunch of it.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I normally use Cherry & Hickory for my Ribs.

but last time I tried mesquite for the 1st time all by itself and like it with my Ribs and some center cut fillets that were about 1 1/2 inchs and i cooked them indirectly so the smoke was more noticeable.

Use Apple for Chicken and Alder with fish and I never soak the wood as the smoke was not desirable to me.

When I smoke some Pork but's that run 11 hours I use charcoal as fuel and use 4 oz of wood every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours then no more wood. Don't like them over smoked.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Has anyone used persimmon? I have a bunch of it.

I have some persimmon wood(s) that I wouldn't want to light on fire. :)
    q5h0dv847mta.jpg

• pitdogg2
    voltz wrote: »
    When I smoke some Pork but's that run 11 hours I use charcoal as fuel and use 4 oz of wood every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours then no more wood. Don't like them over smoked.
    I also use charcoal as the main fuel. I too find that too much smoke makes food taste like a firemans boot the second day after rewarming. I also find kingsford cherry wood charcoal i buy all i can afford. It doesn't last long at the local shops.
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    Just got the Cabela's Cooking (summer) catalog. They had a nice little item on wood pellet types for different types of meat. I would assume that it applies to chips, chunks and logs of the same type of wood.

For what it's worth, here's their recap of what is good for different types of meat.
    I think it's a good cheat sheet for smoking meat with different types of wood.
    Of course it's all what you like in the end.

Enjoy.

ib0w5i77o49z.jpg

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable