REceiver setting for PSW505

kaku42
kaku42 Posts: 33
My PSW505 manual indicates that the pre-out of a receiver should be connected to the line in inputs and then the setting on the receiver should be "none" for subwoofer
that contradicts my AVR147 manual
why should the subwoofer setting be none if i am using the RCA cable with Y adapter for the subwoofer?

Also should i use the LFE in or the line in?

I have rti8. SHould i keep front = "large" or "small" in this set up?
Post edited by kaku42 on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    You're misreading your receiver..there are a FEW ways to set this up.

If you have a subout or LFE out on your AVR just connect a cable from it to the LFE in on the Polk sub then set the volume on the sub to 12 o'clock and adjust the surround system with the AVR--adjust the sub-level to match your surrounds from the receiver..adjust the bass crossover from the receiver...then toggle the PHASE switch (0-180 degrees) back and forth until the bass sounds loudest and tightest to you.

As for the RTI-8s....try both the Large and the small setting and see which sounds better to you. The so-called received wisdom is to set all speakers to small so as to not over-tax your receiver and have the sub deal with most of the bass. But that's just a rule of thumb and not ABSOLUTE!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • kaku42
    edited January 2010
    The receiver subwoofer output says its a "pre-out" and the manual recommends connecting to a line level input on the subwoofer
    Hence the questions.
    Why is the polk manual asking me to keep the subwoofer as "none" for a line level input
    I tried none and got no signal into my sub
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited January 2010
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Use the LFE input on the PSW505 and set the subwoofer to yes on your receiver with a 80Hz crossover. That should get you up and running.

Sounds good, tweak as required.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • kaku42
    edited January 2010
    I finally set it as Front = small, surround = small, center =none. crossover front = 80 and surround at 100 hz
    not too happy with it at this moment
    wondering if front needs to be large with LFE+main
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited January 2010
    Keep messing with it man, you will get there eventually. Hardest part of any HT is setting it up and getting it to sound just right,. Be patient it will come together. Cnh gave you some good advice in post #2, I can't think of anything to add to that. Good luck.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • Good morning I have a denon AVR 920w reciever ,I have 7 speakers on that reciever plus I have 2 psw505 subwoofers connected to that .. It sounds amazing but some times in some movies when is like a deepbass one of the subwoofers goes of for like a second. Any help bju4ayssvqd6.jpg
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    OMG turn the volume down!!! You're clipping the amp so it goes into protect.