Tweeter replacement

AdamSDCA
AdamSDCA Posts: 18
edited May 2018 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all,

I recently purchased a pair of SDA CRS and I love them. So much so that I just went out and found some monitor 5 series 2’s to use as rear surround. I chose the CRS because of space concerns, but it turns out I can fit a larger set and am able to swap back the CRS’s with the same person for a set of 2B studios.

Here’s the trouble: I wasn’t careful buying the monitors, and one of the tweeters is out. I’m thinking if I buy one RD0198, I can put that and the working one from the other monitor into the 2B’s, and move those SL2000’s into the monitors. My question: I have no experience with electrical engineering; is this tweeter replacement straight forward enough with the right hex key and a pair of hands?

Answers

• AdamSDCA
    Thanks in advance!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The 2B uses a different tweeter than the Series 2 versions. They are not interchangeable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AdamSDCA
    I’ve noticed that SDO198 refers to both the SL3000 (SDA) and the SL2500 (monitor), but I wasn’t sure why they would have the same part ID. So both can use an SDO198, but the SL2500 can’t be used in an SDA and vice versa?
  • AdamSDCA
    Actually I just found one of your old replies about the RDO-198-1. So I guess in the ideal case I would get four of those? Is the replacement straight forward ie doesn’t require an arc welder? Lol
  • F1nut
    edited May 2018
    Not quite. The 2B uses the SL2000 while the Series 2 uses the SL2500. The replacement for the SL2000 is the RD0194 while the replacement for the SL2500 is the RD0198.

That said, there is a modification for the 2B that will allow it to use the RD0198.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AdamSDCA
    edited May 2018
    That’s what I was thinking, since I’ve seen a lot of people say it’s a big improvement. Is that difficult? I can look around the forum for a thread that explains it thoroughly. Any suggestions for key words to search for other than SDA 2B rdo198 upgrade? Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it! Sincerely, noob
  • F1nut
    Try 2BTL or 2B TL.

Basically, it involves adding a 5.8uF cap, but it's a good idea to upgrade all the caps and resistors while you're in there.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited May 2018
    This may help. The mod is the same for the 2B. One thing though, remove the silver mica and do NOT replace it with anything. Also, use two 20uF caps to make up the 40uF instead of a 10 and a 30.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/40577/sda-srs-4-1tl-upgrade/p1

President of Club Polk

• AdamSDCA
    Thank you that is really helpful. Over my current pay grade though; I may just get the 194’s for the 2B’s and a 198-1 for the 5 :) I’m sure one day I’ll get inspired to do the full upgrade.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I'd replace both of the sl2500 with the 198. Just replacing the one will make an unbalanced sounding pair.
  • AdamSDCA
    Two of each ordered! They’re backordered until early June. I’ll post if they come earlier, in case anyone else is waiting on them. I’m near their shipping location so they should get here first if they get there in a large batch.