Lame idea?

Options
polksda
polksda Posts: 716
edited December 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Big speakers are a good thing... except when it comes to moving them around. Risking damage, physical injury, etc. I'm taking delivery of SRS's on Sunday, and they're large enough and heavy enough to present a potential problem down the road. Also, the area that I plan to place them is carpeted; no spikes or wheels on the speakers.

Would placing them on a dolly-like structure affect their performance? I realize that it may look goofy, but I'm thinking of logistics. I have a pair of these that are built quite sturdy:

B0000DD3EU.01-A3TQ3OIW6NTQKL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

For grins I placed my current speakers on them, and it feels quite sturdy; it raises the speaker about 4.5" off the ground and rolls fairly easily.

The dimensions are such that they're almost a perfect fit for SRS (17.5"x23"); they're not finished too badly either (better than in the picture).
Post edited by polksda on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2004
    Options
    it's not a lame idea. if it's going to save your back.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2004
    Options
    If it's serving a purpose that would help you, then how could it possibly be silly? Go for it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Lame.

Once you get the SDA's in the house (with assistance), Ronco those mofos.

I haven't EVER moved mine, once I got them dialed in. Well, almost anyway - they usually need a little un-f$%king after each time Tour visits.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Once you get them in place why would you need to move them and if you do need to move them a little here and there on carpet you can "walk" them with ease. The bass performance will not be as good as possible if left on the dollies, spikes on carpet would be the best.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited December 2004
    Options
    ....to the audio room, then put them back in the garage.
    Polk made supports to help keep the big SDA's from rocking (if ever so slightly) from the wall behind them.
    Give them their own skateboards and you'll be chasing after them when the heavy decibels start playing.
    As Jesse says, you can easily walk them around if you need to move them.

Hell, I was waltzing with mine last night,
    you have to be careful though,
    they keep trying to lead.

-Luc
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2004
    Options
    The SDA's may be nice, but when they start "walking" on carpet, because they are mounted to dollys....that'll be the day.

I'm sure he's smart enough to know he can walk them around, sheesh, let the man put them on dollys if he wants.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by trubluluc
    Hell, I was waltzing with mine last night,
    you have to be careful though,
    they keep trying to lead.

Truer words where never spoken! :D

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks. The setup is such that if I ever need to get to my corner sub, I would need to move one of the SDAs. Also, it would make getting to the back of the RPTV easier.

But F1Nut says that I would hear reduced bass performance, so this probably isn't the best approach. If it's detrimental to performance, I don't want to do it.

I've always wondered: aren't there inherent risks to "walking" speakers in order to move them? You're putting stress on the cabinets by doing so, especially speakers that weigh as much as the Polks do. Or are the SRS's built like a brick sh*thouse enough that this really isn't an issue?
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2004
    Options
    He's on carpet either way you look at it, with no spikes or bass brace, so how on earth could it make a difference? The weight of the speaker would actually press the wheels into the carpet further than it sitting flat on the carpet, therefore coupling it to the floor.

It can't be any more detrimental to being on the carpet by itself.

Plus if placed somewhat according to the recommendations for placement, the bass response will be enhanced or averaged due to wall reinforcement.

I've had my SDA's sitting on carpet for a long time with barely an attempt to be within "SDA recommendations" for placement....no bass issues here. In addition, Russman's Cave is also not quite perfect for the "recommendations" but anyone who has been there knows the system is in no need for placement tweaking, except perhaps Bruce.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2004
    Options
    My speakers are on casters and I'm perfectly happy with it.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Polksda,

We seem to have a few different ideas about this dolly mounting. I still believe the performance will be affected and that spikes are the way to go on carpet, but since they are your speakers it's up to you. Perhaps you could try it both ways and then you'd be able to tell for yourself.

The "walking" of the SDA's is a non issue.

F1

President of Club Polk