Wireworld Equinox Demo - Logistics Thread

124»

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,489
    These should jump from Jeff @indyhawg to Dan @EndersShadow. Just makes sense since they are so close.
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 973
    @indyhawg

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on these on all your speakers..... but specifically the Ushers you have (assuming you still have them lol)

The Ushers are still will with me. If you want to swing by and hear them when I have the equinox reno, Just let me know.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    These should jump from Jeff @indyhawg to Dan @EndersShadow. Just makes sense since they are so close.

Agree, but you are also close enough for a road trip Ivan. :smiley:
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 657
    edited April 11
    Well its been sometime since I have had the cables connected but here are my thoughts.

The packaging was very nice. Cables came in a zippered bag/container that managed them very well.

The ability to switch from spades to bananas was a great benefit since I was not comfortable with the spades on the speaker end when all was connected. The spades appeared to be putting to much force/pressure on the connection. Once I changed to the bananas it seemed to provide a more relaxed connections.

These cable are very stout. It was rather difficult to snake them into the configuration I was accustomed to. But after routing and re-routing a few times I got them in a good place. I guess I am use to my current cables which are very flexible.

Once everything was connected and I powered up the system I immediately noticed a change. At this point I was not sure if it was a good change or a bad change. I had convinced myself to give it some time in order to make an informed decision.

I let the cables settle in for about 8 hours then I started to listen more closely. I noticed that the highs had rolled-off and the mids appeared bloated. The sound stage had also been reduced. I was not sure what had happened so I decided to go thru the system and make sure nothing had changed. I have had some problems like this when my turntable gets out of spec. But I also noticed these changes while using either SACD players or DACs.

This continued for the next couple of weeks. As I listened the music was not drawing me in as it had in the past. I found myself concentrating on what I perceived as the system not performing up to prior standards.

Once I got confirmation from @DSkip to pass them on to Joey I boxed them up for shipment and replaced them with my original cables.

When I turned the system on with the original cables I immediately noticed that I was back to what I had been searching for the past few weeks. I was relived to get back to my comfort zone.

Seems to me that the synergy just was not in place in my system. Although my expectations were that these cables should provide great results I was not won over by them.

I think this just points to the fact that cables can and do impact a systems performance and much time and research should go into selection.

Most know my system details but for those who do not here is a list of the equipment that was used during the evaluation:

Preamp: McIntosh C50
    Amps: McIntosh M601's
    Speakers: Legacy Focus S/E's
    CD/SACD: Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BD-105
    Turntable: VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC cartridge
    Phono Preamp: Parasound JC3
    DACs: McIntosh C50, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BD-105
    Interconnects: Furutech Alphas

Thanks to @DSkip for the opportunity to give these a try.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• tratlifftratliff Posts: 657
    DOH - I just noticed I was suppose to post the review in the other thread. Copying to that one also...
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,329
    Didn't catch what your original speaker cables were? Says "Interconnects: Furutech Alphas." Not real familiar with them? Are those also your SC's?
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,216
    dromunds wrote: »
    Didn't catch what your original speaker cables were? Says "Interconnects: Furutech Alphas." Not real familiar with them? Are those also your SC's?

Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,131
    @DSkip

Can we get a idea whose left on the demo list, and in what order?

@indyhawg

Let me know when they show up (they might have already). I can also let you borrow my Kimber Kable 8VS internal bi-wire if you want (I cant use them with either set of speakers I own currently). They are 6 footers, but might make for some fun.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,657
    Should be with Jeff in 2 days at the most
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,131
    Spiffy!!!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

@indyhawg

Let me know when they show up (they might have already). I can also let you borrow my Kimber Kable 8VS internal bi-wire if you want (I cant use them with either set of speakers I own currently). They are 6 footers, but might make for some fun.

Okay, Love to have another set of cables to compare them to. They should be here Thursday or Friday.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,657
    Give the WW a fair chance

It is impressive in my system
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    Shipment arrived today. Glad I took the day off.
124»