Polk MOMO 10in...is it blown?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
i just hooked up my polk momo 10in, with a rockford fosgate 360.2 . the amp is bridged so im giving it like 400 or so watts, into 4ohm obviously. my question is, when i turn it up, and not the loud either, the sub makes a horrible knocking noise, as if its bottoming out. i know it cant be, cuz it makes that noise when its not turned up that loud at all. ive checked all connections, like 3 times. and have even place the sub in different cars, so its not the hook up of the amp thats doin it. the box is made to specs, .65sq ft, and i put some poly fill into it. i used 12awg speaker wire inside the box, i just stripped the ends and attached it to the sub via the screw in terminals, and then used speaker connectors to attach the other end to the terminal on the box. what could be wrong??
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• badfam4
    badfam4 Posts: 11
    edited March 2002
    Options
    :( sorry dude buy you blew it
  • badfam4
    badfam4 Posts: 11
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i meant sorry dude "but" you blew it. if you bridged the amp it should be at 2ohms depending on how you wired up the speaker.
    is dvc? or single vc?
  • Systems
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Momo only comes in SVC, but since it's bridged, you might just want to try switching the positive and the negative. From how you describe the sound, it sounds to me like it's probably blown, but it might just be phasing... Won't hurt to try it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited March 2002
    Options
    is it possible to come blown or disfunctional from the factory, cuz ever since i hooked it up it has sounded like this, my amp only puts out about 400watts rms, so it couldnt have blown this sub. so far im very much dissatisfied with this sub. polk will u replace this or what?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2002
    Options
    kim will know if polk will replace it...they should
    did you happen to turn it up when you got it first
    there it a 40 hour 'break in' period where youre supposed to play at more moderate levels to break in the suspension and so on...
    -cody
  • Systems
    edited April 2002
    Options
    yes i know about breaking in subs, but i didnt have to break this in, cuz even at a reasonable (non-bumping level) it still makes that horrible knocking noise right from the beginning. i bought this sub at circuit city without the service plan they offer. ive had the sub for like 2 months, but didnt hook it up till a couple of days ago. what should i do??? this is such a kick in the ****. Kim please help.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2002
    Options
    anyone?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2002
    Options
    nothing yet? what the heck is goin on!!!! i buy a 250$ sub, and iit comes out being trash. unbelievable.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2002
    Options
    YOu really should try switching the positive and the negative speaker wires around. When a sub is phasing it makes a knocking noise, so just put the positive in the negative and the negative in the positive.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Polk offers a 2 year warrenty with the Polk/MOMO's I think so you can send it off to them. I know, lol. Ive sent mine off twice now. The first time i blew it sounded like you are talking about. Goto Circuit City and ask them to put the sub on the meter for you to read the ohm level. The Installers will know if its blown or not.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing