speaker wire install question

robertgray
robertgray Posts: 22
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
New to Polks and this forum. Currently working on install of new system (my 20 year old Sansui receiver blew up last week). Planned to run surround speaker wires in existing walls but discovered that the planned area contains multiple household electrical wiring (120V, thermostat wiring, etc.). No way to install conduit without ripping out the sheetrock (nonviable option). Inside wall wiring is my first choice but exterior wall runs using channels will work for me also.

My question - Should I forego the inside wall option so not to risk electrical interference? Or is there some way to minimize the risk other than conduit?

Thanks in advance!

Robert Gray
www.pamunkey.net
Robert Gray
www.pamunkey.net

Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver
Polk CS245i center
Polk RT25i front and side surrounds
Bose Interaudio 2000 rear surround (Got one RT25i to round out my system? PM me.)
Polk PSW450 sub
plus........
Polk PSW350 sub
Post edited by robertgray on

Comments

• tenappolee
    tenappolee Posts: 7
    edited April 2002
    Have you considered wireless hookup? I finished my basement and installed the wiring in the walls but i purchased speaker wire that was shielded against electrical interference. It is expensive but it works. The part about ripping the walls apart to install, does not sound good especially if the room is finished. I would definitley check out other options--given that there are so many great products out there, ie-sony koss etc.-for doing a wireless install. My friend has a great sounding home theatre with tons of base and he has the speakers mounted in the walls with a wireless hookup--so it does work----Also in another vien-- there are room coloured ( you paint it yourself) conduits that you lay on the floor against the wall which you run the wires through. It clips together and they make it for round wire as well as for flat and it has 45 degree angles for inside and outside corners. Well i hope this helps---Tenappolee:)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    I know its possible, but I have wired 5 houses, including my own for multi-zone audio, and NEVER had an issue with hum or noise on the wires.

I say drop em down the walls, punch a small hole, and test them with every appliance/light in the house on. You can putty up, texture, and paint the hole if it doesn't work....

Cheers,
    Russ

(Superflat wire fished under carpet, or along the baseboard works out well too.....)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tenappolee
    tenappolee Posts: 7
    edited April 2002
    Have you considered wireless hookup? I finished my basement and installed the wiring in the walls but i purchased speaker wire that was shielded against electrical interference. It is expensive but it works. The part about ripping the walls apart to install, does not sound good especially if the room is finished. I would definitley check out other options--given that there are so many great products out there, ie-sony koss etc.-for doing a wireless install. My friend has a great sounding home theatre with tons of base and he has the speakers mounted in the walls with a wireless hookup--so it does work----Also in another vien-- there are room coloured ( you paint it yourself) conduits that you lay on the floor against the wall which you run the wires through. It clips together and they make it for round wire as well as for flat and it has 45 degree angles for inside and outside corners. Well i hope this helps---Tenappolee:)
  • robertgray
    robertgray Posts: 22
    edited April 2002
    Thanks. I forgot to say that I was intending to use crawlspace area to cross the room (no underhouse electrical). I then have to wire from floor to speaker mounted on wall about 7 feet up. So it is either 7 feet of exterior wire channel material mounted to wall exterior, or 7 feet of speaker wire in the wall running alongside numerous 120V electrical wires.
    Robert Gray
    www.pamunkey.net

Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver
    Polk CS245i center
    Polk RT25i front and side surrounds
    Bose Interaudio 2000 rear surround (Got one RT25i to round out my system? PM me.)
    Polk PSW450 sub
    plus........
    Polk PSW350 sub
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    hi tenappolee; on wire less connections, you lose some of you audio quialty from a 900mhz transmitter & receiver at 900mhz range, it cant handle the frequency range of home audio if it was up to 2.4 ghz it would only have a audio frequency range of 50hz to 15khz it would be rolled off like bose speakers or worse. the ghzs have to be a lot higher to have real good sound quaity the goverment wont release the higher ranges for the public yet.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited April 2002
    Hi:

I believe you will be ok as long as you don't run the wires parallel to the AC lines. That is where you get interference. If you do have to run across try and stay away from the AC lines as best you can.

Gary