Help with SDA-1

Options
I am trying to resurrect a pair of SDA-1, circa 1982, and have a question about the dimensional array speakers. These did not come with an interconnect so I fashioned a cable with speakon connectors. I basically connected the blue wire on crossover for both speakers and the white wire to both speakers. My question is I really seem to only hear a very marginal difference with the cable attached, should the sound difference be more noticeable or am I missing something. Thanks for the help and patience for the new guy.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Barring any fault with the cable, do you have room suitable for them and are they positioned as recommended by Polk?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It would help to know what the original interconnect socket was. Blade/blade or rta type. The blade/blade type is switched inside the cabinet. Let's say the blue was on the large blade in the left speaker. The right speaker will have the blue wire on the small blade and of course the white wire will follow the same way. If you followed that you should be correct. So if you followed that with the speakon it would be something like this blue on 1+ on left and 1- on right white 1-on left and 1+ on right.
    The cable itself is not switched in any form, just the wiring to the speakon socket on the speaker. The interconnect wire would be plus to plus and negative to negative.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • T1955RW
    T1955RW Posts: 2
    edited March 2018
    Options
  • GrumpyOldMan
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    It would help to know what the original interconnect socket was. Blade/blade or rta type. The blade/blade type is switched inside the cabinet. Let's say the blue was on the large blade in the left speaker. The right speaker will have the blue wire on the small blade and of course the white wire will follow the same way. If you followed that you should be correct. So if you followed that with the speakon it would be something like this blue on 1+ on left and 1- on right white 1-on left and 1+ on right.
    The cable itself is not switched in any form, just the wiring to the speakon socket on the speaker. The interconnect wire would be plus to plus and negative to negative.

Speaker came not only minus cable but plugs were also removed. The previous owner had just a speaker wire connecting them which was disconnected when I got. But if I understand your comment the plug on the right side should be wired to the opposite terminals of the left and the cble should remain plus to plus minus to minus...
  • GrumpyOldMan
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Barring any fault with the cable, do you have room suitable for them and are they positioned as recommended by Polk?

My room and wife :) let me do basically whatever I need, the room is 20 X 30 valuted ceiling.
  • FestYboy
    Options

My room and wife :) let me do basically whatever I need, the room is 20 X 30 valuted ceiling.

Lucky man...
  • GrumpyOldMan
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Followed your advise and all works as advertised, Thanks
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Do we now have a substantialy wide sound stage?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • GrumpyOldMan
    Options
    Do we now have a substantialy wide sound stage?

Much better
  • FestYboy
    Options
  • T1955RW
    T1955RW Posts: 2
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • GrumpyOldMan
    Options
    Another question, my subject SDA’s have mixed tweeters. Two 1000, two 2000, given availability of 2000 vs 1000, does it take much crossover work to use 2000? My 2000 are presently in the dimensional position and sound fine, but I don’t know if the cross has been messed with.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    IIRC, the 1k, 2k and RDO-194 are all interchangeable without XO mods.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    IIRC, the 1k, 2k and RDO-194 are all interchangeable without XO mods.

True that. But, IIRC to replace the 1k with the RD0194, you need to do cabinet modifications (ie. router the tweeter frame position on the front of the speaker out for a proper fit).
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Going from sl1000 to sl2000 or RD-0194 cabinet modifications are needed yes