Enjoying the tunes

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited November 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Man, the past few years have been really hard on me. I was audio crazy trying to find the perfect sound. Last year I was ordering tubes almost weekly trying to find that perfect sound. I was happy with the LSi9 but really wanted more slam/dynamics and a livelier sound and upgraded to Klipsch.

Now I've found my favorite 7199 and EL34 tubes. I've modded my Dynaco to run in triode which is way better than Ultralinear. I love my Polk Cobra cables and AQ interconnects. I can honestly say.......I'M DONE!!! I'm so happy with the way my rig sounds that I'm not thinking about upgrading anything for a looooooooooong time. I know I have a post asking about nice speakers for vocals but now I'm thinking real hard about it. This hobby is expensive.

I can finally sit for hours at a time enjoying music without thinking about trying different tubes or cables and just absorb the music. It feels so good. Last week on Monday, I listened to my rig for 12+ hours, taking breaks to eat and chill for a bit. I plan to do it again tomorrow.

So is there anybody else here who are finally satisfied with what they have?

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Congrats on getting there!

Other than a power cord upgrade, I do believe I'm done with the big rig, but I still have work to do on the shop rig.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Quite happy with both rigs as they stand.

Except for source changes, the He-Man Rig is basically unchanged from 1991 or 1992.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Sorry, not with the home rigs but I have plenty of time to fool with those. In the truck though, only thing I need is to replace is the broken CD changer. Other than that, that's done. I'd be hard pressed to find something more detailed, smooth and natural sounding in any vehicle. The only thing that needs work is imaging but unless I cut the truck up, it's not going to improve much. Cutting up the truck is not an option. It's a limited edition vehicle and on top of that I drive it everyday so speakers and gear sticking out into odd places doesn't fly for the comfort level.

The SDA rig needs a new room where I can put them in an ideal position. They could probably use more power but the Adcom I'm using doesn't even break a sweat let alone heat up. I'd like to get a CD player with a better DAC and tryout a decent tube amp too. The home theater needs amps and a processor. Until then, I can't talk much about being satisfied with it or not.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Congrats Maurice.

For me, speakers have been a question for a long time but now no longer. The SDA's have upped my system to a point where I can only see a couple of upgrades I need/want to do. Maybe bigger SDA's. :D

Right now, I'm thinking of a couple of power cords, wall receptacle as per F1's recommendation, replacement tweeters, a few tubes, interconnects out of convenience for when I'm swapping between everything. That's about it. It's been a long couple year journey for me. Next up, building a listening room/HT in my basement, I'll probably start over the winter.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I was almost there... until I listened to F1's system. Now I can hardly stand to listen to it. :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I've been really satisfied lately, but still will eventually upgrade my speakers. I want to get into the $1500-$2000/pr fray and see how much speaker I can get at that price. I have a few in mind already....;)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Almost. I like half of what my LSi9's give me. I'm looking to up grade though. My front end is stacking the deck against my speakers. The Museatex (modded meitner) and Simaudio Moon intergrated have really been testing the LSi's.

My speakers are my weakest link now in my setup. My source is as good as any $3-4K single box and my Amp will do for now. Which is not a bad thing. Speakers will be replaced though. And within 12months.

steveinaz - what speakers do you have in mind?
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by LuSh
    steveinaz - what speakers do you have in mind?

Well, so far:

1. Energy C-9
    2. Paradigm Ref Studio ??
    3. Polk Lsi15
    4. Onix Rocket RS750

...and my research continues. I'm in no hurry as my Athena's have always done me well.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Steve - might I suggest a few?

The LSi15's and Paradigm Studio's would be an upgrade but have you ever considered a higher end monitor?

http://www.reference3a.com/

The MM de Capo's are on my short list $2500 New US, you can buy them used on Audiogon.

If your lookin at the Energy's check out the Veritas, a much better lineup of speakers.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/

Reference3a and Harbeth make some of the best monitors in the world, true high-end performance at real world prices, and in a different league then the Paradigms, and Polks of the world. You might wanna check out the Totem Hawks as well. Totem isn't on the same level as the reference3a's or Harbeths but they are of great value, but harder to drive.
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I've looked at the Harbeth and Totem series, and just find them over-priced for what you're getting. I've tried to do the "monitor" thing in the past, and always go back to floorstanders---I just like the large soundstage you get with floorstanders, and the higher power handling. I like my rock LOUD. I suppose if I listened to alot of classical (I don't) I might go with a bookshelf/monitor.

I would like to get my mits on a pair of Veritas towers, no doubt, and forgot to add them to my "need to audition" list.

Thanks!