SACDs - Where to Buy

I'm a bit behind the physical media curve and just starting to get into SACDs. I probably won't buy many as have a fairly extensive library of ALAC files. I do want some all time faves available to play in SACD players where I don't have access to the computer with my ALAC files. I know I can burn the ALACs to a USB drive (for example) and play through my Oppo, but still want a few choice discs around for living room listening. I'm finding locations with SACDs that have good descriptors, etc. is hard to find. I did buy some recently from Music Direct, but any other solid (easy to search, well organized) sites I should be looking at?

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    following B)
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Ebay.........but you will pay way too much.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Clipdat wrote: »

I’ll check them out again but I looked at briefly and found the site low in terms of user friendliness. I may need to spend more time there. Thanks!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited February 2018
    Agreed 100%, the website design sucks.
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    I’ll check them out again but I looked at briefly and found the site low in terms of user friendliness. I may need to spend more time there. Thanks!

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited February 2018
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Jaybeez
    headrott wrote: »

Thanks. I ordered my first batch from Music Direct but will check the others as well. The only issue with MD is that you're tempted to order other "goodies" as well, pushing up the "real price" of the SACDs!
  • headrott
    No problem. Let us know what SACD's you pick up.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Has anyone bought Blueray Audio discs before? Can they be played on any Blueray player, and is the sound quality comparable to SACD and/or DVD-A?
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    dr1978 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought Blueray Audio discs before? Can they be played on any Blueray player, and is the sound quality comparable to SACD and/or DVD-A?

I have 4 Yes albums on Blu-Ray audio. I think they sound phenomenal. I believe that they will play on any Blu-Ray player, but I am not sure of this. I don't have any of these same titles on SACD for a direct comparison, but they stand up to any of the other SACD titles I own.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited March 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »
    dr1978 wrote: »

I have 4 Yes albums on Blu-Ray audio. I think they sound phenomenal. I believe that they will play on any Blu-Ray player.

YES
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    No. Yes
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Viking64
    audioluvr wrote: »
    No. Yes

YES, YES. I have 4. QUEEN!
  • Jaybeez

First 3 are Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms and Roxy Music - Avalon (Japanese single layer SACD) and Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me (Hybrid).

I have all 3 on vinyl and CD, but listen pretty often and the recording quality on all is quite good, so expecting pure bliss on SACD.
  • Clipdat
    I want "Santana - Abraxas" SACD but I don't want to pay for it :lol:
  • Jaybeez
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I want "Santana - Abraxas" SACD but I don't want to pay for it :lol:

I have that one in my cart on one of the sites!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2018

First 3 are Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms and Roxy Music - Avalon (Japanese single layer SACD) and Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me (Hybrid).

I have all 3 on vinyl and CD, but listen pretty often and the recording quality on all is quite good, so expecting pure bliss on SACD.

Avalon sounds stellar. Did you get the Japanese SHM-SACD or the MoFi of BIA?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jaybeez
    F1nut wrote: »

Japanese. I literally can't wait for the Hammond B3 jam at the end of BIA!
  • headrott
    edited March 2018

You got some great ones. One thing, since you got the SHM-SACD of Brothers In Arms, it is the European master and "Why Worry" is the edited version of the song.

I love the mastering of the SHM-SACD more than the MoFi version, but I want the last part of "Why Worry" on the SACD, so I recommend the MoFi version for that reason. Maybe you don't mind, however.
    F1nut wrote: »

Agreed Jesse. Avalon is one of the best SHM-SACD's out there.
    Post edited by headrott on
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Clipdat
    Made a SACD order from Acoustic Sounds:

7t7gn328dneu.png
  • Jaybeez
    Yeah, I bought a few from them also including Allman Brothers - Brothers and Sisters ; Doors - LA Woman ; Santana - Abraxas

I also have a few other used ones in process including a boxed / immersion set of Dark Side of the Moon.
  • Viking64
    I just listened to my Japanese SACD of Roxy Music - "Avalon". That album has a lot of understated guitar work and on this disc, it seems to take on a new life of it's own. It sort of weaves in and out of the various percussion instruments that "dance" around the soundstage. (Hopefully that didn't sound TOO pretentious?)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I just listened to my Japanese SACD of Roxy Music - "Avalon". That album has a lot of understated guitar work and on this disc, it seems to take on a new life of it's own. It sort of weaves in and out of the various percussion instruments that "dance" around the soundstage. (Hopefully that didn't sound TOO pretentious?)

A bit of audiophile condescension, but hey we all know the real Captain Jim! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    BTW I just picked up a minty Oppo BDP-95. SACD and DVD-A rabbit hole I go!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    verb wrote: »
    BTW I just picked up a minty Oppo BDP-95. SACD and DVD-A rabbit hole I go!

Someone *cough* on this forum *cough* has a factory sealed *cough* "Best of Scorpions" SACD *cough* that has NO PRICE TAG *cough* and a double of the same *cough* title. B)o:)
  • verb
    Nice! *cough* I'll take it! *cough* PM *cough* forthcoming! *cough, cough* :smiley:
  • verb
    I just ordered this from Amazon:
    zr8wqgxpvt3j.png
  • Viking64
    I have something similar. No comic, though. poupe.
  • verb
    I had a big kick on comics/graphic novels back in the day. This one looks pretty cool. Image from Google:
    mvrl51yp7dsx.png