Monitor 4 Cap Question

I recently upgraded the capacitors and resistors in my SDA2's and they sound amazing! I had so much fun, I decided to try it with my old Monitor 4's and also bought Monitor 7's for $95, but I need help identifying this capacitor from the M4. Does anyone know what it is? I tried looking at the schematics, but I didn't see the original M4. Thanks!

soututolsx19.jpg
2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    It's an electrolytic cap..... :D
    You will need to look on the other side that is where the value will be.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited January 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    It's an electrolytic cap..... :D
    You will need to look on the other side that is where the value will be.
    Ivan Usuc :p

Kim wrote: »
    These are the original Monitor 4 that was manufactured from 1982 through 1984.
    The low pass filter for the MW6500 driver consists of a single 0.3 mH air core inductor.
    The high pass filer uses a 5.8 uF cap and a 0.4 mH inductor.
    The tweeter fuse is the standard 1 amp fast blow AGC style fuse.

Hope this helps
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Yep. There it is. You'd think they could have put it the other way. :)
    Says 5.8MFD 50vNP. I'm assuming 5.8 microfarad 50 volt.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Correct 5.8uf 50 volt non polar
    Sonicap has a 5.8uf that would work nicely. It will be higher voltage
  • BC6
    That helps a lot. Thanks! I'm ordering it right now.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    BC6 wrote: »
    That helps a lot. Thanks! I'm ordering it right now.

Hey man...we like Polk pics ;)

Congrats on your purchases, stick around and let us know what you think about your upgrades

Welcome to Club Polk
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BC6
    I finally got around to upgrading both the 7's and the 4's. There will be no pictures. I did a massive hack job on the wires and the soldering, and am embarrassed about how bad it looks. But as ugly as they are, they sound amazing! I had forgotten how great the peerless tweeters sound in the 4's. I promptly replaced my rear speakers with them. And I was thinking of flipping the 7's, but I might keep them. They sound too good and I don't want to show anyone the ugly crossovers. Thanks again for the help. I know I'll be needing more help in the future.