For Sale: BAT VK-200 heavily modified by myself and checked by Victor Khomenko

I just purchased a BAT VK-255SE and will no longer need this amp, and the reason for selling this amp. This is my main amplifier and use it 2 to 3 times per week. It works absolutely perfectly and sounds absolutely phenomenal. The cosmetics are about 7/10 due to age, mostly. I have had this amp covered whenever it was not in use.

I purchased this amp in 2013 (if I remember correctly for the year) from @zingo, here on the forum. The first thing I did was replace the stock binding posts with some Cardas CCRR binding posts (purchased from Douglasconnection.com, Doug (@helipilotdoug), which can be found in this thread: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143057/so-i-couldnt-leave-well-enough-alone).

I used this amp for a little over a year at which point a bridge rectifier went out on the left channel (when I say went out, it actually fried the trace on the PCB). I then personally replaced all 4 of the bridge rectifiers on both channels, and ALL power and output capacitors with Nichicon/Panasonic/WIMA and Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps (for output).

I also replaced the XLR jacks with Furutech FT-784F Rhodium purchased from VHAudio. I replaced the power inlet jack with the Oyiade Inlet R. Cardas Quadeutectic solder and the Weller WTCPT station was used for all solder joints. Finally, Dynamat Xtreme is place on the lid and interior of the amplifier for vibration abatement.

After turning on the amp, I found the left channel still did not work. I sent the amplifier to BAT and Victor checked it out finding that the bridge rectifier on the left PCB fried the trace leading up to the component when it went out. Victor personally did a jumper to complete the trace and get the left channel working again. Victor also did a test of the amplifier overall and found it to work perfectly.

I feel very confident in saying that this is one of the best, or possibly the best sounding VK-200's in existence. Plus, the buyer won't have to worry about replacing components (Bridge rectifiers, power caps and/or output caps) inside for many years as they were replaced 3 years ago (October 2014).

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I want the buyer to know what went into this amplifier and how nice it sounds. Arguably, only listening to it will give you the full idea.

(All) that said, I am asking $1,700.00 plus actual shipping charges and/or Paypal fees for this amplifier. I will accept a check or money order from people I know (i.e. have been here for years). I know that most VK-200's go for about $1,100 but that have not been heavily modified like this one is and do not sound as good as this one. I feel $1,700 plus shipping is a very good deal being as the Mundorf S/G/O caps along cost me about $450.00. Also, this amplifier will be much more reliable than other VK-200's since tha components have been replaced "recently", where most have not been.

Pictures will be posted when I replace this amplifier with the VK-255SE (probably this coming Wednesday) as I still use this amplifier and don't want to disconnect and reconnect it yet.
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Just realized that I didn't say what this includes. This includes the amp (of course), the original power cord, manual, and original box. It will be well packed, certainly.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • One of my favorite amps. Good luck on the sale!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • headrott
    Thanks Dennis.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• headrott
    Well, if people are waiting for pictures, it looks like it'll be Thursday (Nov. 16th) that I will receive the VK-255SE and I can take pictures of the VK-200. Sorry for the delay.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I remember when RT1 needed to get his BAT repaired. Victor, with his Russian accent said to Ted, "Send BAT to me, I fix BAT." :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    la2vegas wrote: »
    83wzxxfo6o0c.jpg

It's not a picture of the VK-200, but it a good one. :)
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    headrott wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    83wzxxfo6o0c.jpg

I guess EVERYONE has a pic of my wife???
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    I did sell this to you and it was a great amp stock; I can’t imagine modded!
  • headrott
    edited November 2017
    Ok, I need to start off by stating that I was incorrect in stating the cost of the Mundorf S/G/O caps. I was thinking of the ones I bought and used in my DAC (that are 2.2uF), and did cost me $450.00.

The ones I used in the VK-200 are 0.22uF and cost me $165.00. As a result, I will lower the price of this amp by $300.00, making it now at $1,400.00 plus actual shipping and Paypal fee (if used). I am sorry for my mistake. I should not make a for sale listing when on pain medication, I guess.

Ok, now that my mistake has been rectified, I will post some pictures below.
    tv8f4ktcwf5m.jpg
    6bvrgfcqi9nt.jpg
    ms71ak6eq4gt.jpg
    nivc986p6x1j.jpg

Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• headrott
    a67do6ltbhip.jpg
    goqasagqbg8x.jpg
    r3mmmavlyn14.jpgifm2hxovw6s6.jpg

Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• headrott
    8z5sg37d9r02.jpg
    c9mpzusslj9l.jpg
    kmk1q2nkn8yl.jpg
    8op0a1ik8mze.jpg

Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    That is a beautiful amp and probably destination piece for many folks.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Quite stunning.
  • headrott
    edited November 2017
    Thanks guys. After listening to the new VK-255SE, I will say that this modified VK-200 is about 80 to 85% as nice sounding as the VK-255SE and the VK-200 may have a little wider soundstage. That is saying something because I spent $4,000 on the VK-255SE (which retails at $8,995). While this VK-200 costs $1,400 and retailed at $3,995.

As I stated, I don't think one will find a better sounding VK-200. In fact, I am going to switch out the VK-255SE's IEC with an Inlet R and the output caps with the Mundorf S/G/O caps eventually.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I heard that @lightman1 was looking for one of these. >:)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited November 2017
    Well it definitely looks in better shape than you .....sorry bad joke, couldn't resist

Speaking of how you healing, dude
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I heard that @lightman1 was looking for one of these. >:)

You killin me, Ryan......
  • headrott
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Well it definitely looks in better shape than you .....sorry bad joke, couldn't resist

It is in better shape than me fore sure, man. BUT, I am in better shape than I was. My lower lip is still swollen, but not nearly as bad. I will actually be able eat turkey without a problem today! Thank you for asking. I will have some scars on my face and scalp, but so it goes.....
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited November 2017
    headrott wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

It is in better shape than me fore sure, man. BUT, I am in better shape than I was. My lower lip is still swollen, but not nearly as bad. I will actually be able eat turkey without a problem today! Thank you for asking. I will have some scars on my face and scalp, but so it goes.....

Glad to hear the healing is going well. Just promise us you won’t be trying to deep fry a frozen turkey.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • headrott
    Well, damn. I thought that this was a pretty good deal. I will lower this amp by $200.00 to $1,200 (plus shipping and Paypal (if used)). I WILL NOT lower it more, period. IMO, $1,200 is an absolute steal for this amp. If there are still no takers, I am going to list this on Audiogon for $1,400 (which I believe it will sell at). I will give you all a week, and then it goes to Audiogon.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• F1nut
    edited December 2017
    Damn fine amp, wish I had a use for it. It'll make those Emotiva and Carver amps quiver and shake at their inferiority.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    Is this still available? What do you think of this vs a Parasound A-21? Id love to have a Bat VK-51SE and a Bat power amp.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • headrott
    Yeah, it's still available as I decided to wait to list it on Audiogon until after tax season is over (and people have more money).

I have not heard the Parasound A-21, actually. :o I know, blasphemy, right!? I have heard some other Parasound amps, and I would say the general sound of Parasound amps are less detailed than BAT amps and maybe slightly warmer sounding (although with the Mundorf S/G/O output caps I would say the warmth is pretty close to each other).

Sorry, I cannot be of better help. Perhaps someone who has heard both the A-21 and the VK-200 can chime in? (Although the VK-200 probably did not have the Mundorf S/G/O output caps in it, but they would have a general comparison).

@F1nut, have you heard both the A-21 and VK-200? Thanks Jesse.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    That's a beautiful amp. I didn't realize BAT is based out of Wilmington,DE...thats about 25 minutes up the road from me
  • bikerboy
    I am downsizing and will sell the sda 2.3 speakers and use polk 703s and a sub. So I don't need the power of the parasound. But I don't know?
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • headrott
    I drove some 2.3LT's with this amp and it worked extremely well. For some 703's it would work very well, IMO. The smoothness of the Mundorf S/G/O caps would "mesh" with the 703's nicely, and the VK-200 will easily drive the 703's.

Maybe Jesse will chime in as I know he's heard the VK-200, but am not sure about the A-21. Or has anybody else heard both amps?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• F1nut
    Da BAT makes beautiful music, no problem driving 703's.

President of Club Polk

• haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,030
    Beautiful and very good amplifier.

I might post my BAT VK-30 preamp for sale, too.
  • bikerboy
    I will be visiting friends in Portland soon. Where do you live?