Rediscovering my musical roots...

Tonight I am playing a mix of Conway Twitty, Charlie Rich, Elvis Presley and a who's who list of country-folk legends I grew up listening to, reminiscing a bit and just drifting back to simpler times when the weight of the world was nothing more than a feather on the wind.

Amazing how music lifts burdens, raises hopes and clears away the debris that otherwise clouds the mind. Feels good to close my eyes and feel the love and warmth of days gone by...

What music does this for you guys?
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    edited January 2018
    The first records I listened to were my Aunt's. She had a pretty nice collection of 45's, consisting of Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps, Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio, The Shadows, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Carl Perkins, just to name a few. This was about 1961 or 1962. I was only four or five years old at the time. (I jumped in the rabbit hole at a fairly young age.) Later on I inherited the entire works. Unfortunately, none survive to this day. I do have copies of these tunes, on various formats, albums, cd's, cassettes, etc. She died a couple years ago and every time I play one of them I have a fond memory of her. She also liked tube equipment, stating that it sounded "smoother." If you knew her, you would have never thought of her of ever being a "rocker."
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    Here's some that bring me back to a better time but these do sit hard on my soul and bring back some strong feeling of my life's past. Simpler times but deeply emotional connections for sure.

https://youtu.be/m3YNujI7hPk
    https://youtu.be/7OqwKfgLaeA
    https://youtu.be/QqiRA1Uf4oY
    https://youtu.be/GVApuLlv-rU
    https://youtu.be/6wPyO-Pwap4
    https://youtu.be/VIlpfO9eSYE
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    He shook his head, and he said with a smile
    What I'd really like dad is to borrow the car keys, see you later, can I have them please?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    ^^^ That is a painful song for me to listen to. It sums up the relationship I had with my father as if it was written about us.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    No worries Fest... there are many that had much worse. My job is to see to it my boy doesn't grow up to repeat that cycle.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited January 2018
    Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, Carly Simons, Mama and Papas, Doobie Bros, Johnny cash
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    For me music can bring back distant memories along with the smells at the time.
    It is crazy what music can unlock in your mind.
    It can also release the all the stress of the day.
  • nooshinjohn
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ...Doobie Bros...
    Those aren't memories. They're called flash backs. :p

• nooshinjohn
    I bet Jesse was there when Sly carved the Family Stone.

• Tony M
    Music HELPS make memories more solidly engrained.

Don McLean's "The Day the Music Died"/"American Pie" was playing when I took my first puff. I still remember my Brother's friend's house in the living room. The stereo was nice sounding but I don't remember what it was but I think a record was playing.
    https://youtu.be/Z7gLpOpVijo
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    Here's a couple I remember from my early days that struck my memory bank hard. I don't remember where I heard them but they have the melody thing going on.
    https://youtu.be/N03Uoj6p9QA
    https://youtu.be/_d48ALUVA6Y
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2018
    So -- my father worked in broadcasting in Baltimore in the mid to late 1950s at a couple of different radio stations.

As such, I grew up listening to old records (well, a few years old).
    I guess one that made a big impression on me - and which I still have - was this one.

Sort of white boy imitation Chuck Berry, but I loved it (and, truth be told, still do, in a way). So earnest and crisp.

k3xk9duooeab.png

• 55LS70
    My Aunt had a Buddy Knox 45 as well. I think one of the songs was called "Party Girl."
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    55LS70 wrote: »
    My Aunt had a Buddy Knox 45 as well. I think one of the songs was called "Party Girl."

Close -- Party Doll. I think it was his biggest hit (and it was a big hit).

https://youtu.be/noXINFWIztQ
  • 55LS70
    That's it. Well done.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Cool songs, Tony! Most of which I was not familiar with. I liked how they told a story and kept your interest all the way through. It was like a journey. Very cool, especially "In the Year 2525"!
    Tony M wrote: »
    Here's some that bring me back to a better time but these do sit hard on my soul and bring back some strong feeling of my life's past. Simpler times but deeply emotional connections for sure.
    Here's a couple I remember from my early days that struck my memory bank hard. I don't remember where I heard them but they have the melody thing going on.

• Tony M
    I was 12 when 2525 came out. I loved hearing that song. Me being a Science vacuum cleaner, I thought it was such a vision of what the future might be like.

It's getting there isn't it. The first cloning of monkeys supposedly just happened last year. :o
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2018
    It's getting there isn't it. The first cloning of monkeys supposedly just happened last year. :o

Cloning has been around for thousands of years now. How else could Jesse be that old and still smelling the roses? :p

• Tony M
    A clone of Methuselah maybe? ;)
  • Clipdat
    Not specific genre of music related, but I was reminded of this thread yesterday when I was recording a few DJ mixes at my buddy's place on my birthday.

AMT tweeter powered Presonus R80 studio monitors combined with a 10" M-Audio 300watt studio sub belting out some clean and crisp sound, with powerful slamming bass that you could feel. Had a few transitions between tracks where everything was lined up perfectly and sounded amazing. Completely in the zone and banging out a dynamic and exciting mix.

Had that feeling of "Wow, I really needed this" - funny how sometimes you don't know you needed something until you're doing it.
    Amazing how music lifts burdens, raises hopes and clears away the debris that otherwise clouds the mind. Feels good to close my eyes and feel the love and warmth of days gone by...

What music does this for you guys?

• Tony M
    edited January 2018
    So, Were you feeling it like this?
    o9qe9j2pkfbn.jpg

• Tony M
    Music soothes the soul!
  • Clipdat
    Did you know that there's some people that have never gotten goosebumps as a reaction to a great piece of music? It boggles the mind.
    So, Were you feeling it like this?
    o9qe9j2pkfbn.jpg

• Tony M
    edited January 2018
    I know they exist and it's sad that maybe 1/2 the world has never seen or heard a stereo or even a musical band. Or that they even exist.

I met a Marine Colonel that asked what I got from just sitting and listening to music.

He was out on a date with a lady friend of mine and my wife. I almost said back, I'll bet you would score a lot more points if you and Mary sit and listen to some and drink some more of whatever you were drinking here. And put on Gino Vannelli for starters. It always worked for me on many occasions. But he was twice my size and more skilled at eliminating the enemy than I'll even hope to be.

But I just said, I've always liked it and I don't always just sit and listen. I usually do other things while I'm listening. Mary quickly butted in and steered the conversation in another direction.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    https://youtu.be/DxxrKSUkPQc
    I look back and ponder what could have been with my Dad. We eventually reconciled. He’s gone now but many years lost.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Wow, that was something to hear and read about in the song. Thanks @verb

My Dad barely reconciled with me too, but there was NO bridge built by my dad either.

I know my dad and mom forced me to be independant of them. They had 2 others that needed them more.

Bridge
    Queensrÿche
    You called me up on the phone today
    Struggling with the right words to say.
    Time can change a thing or two.
    Time has changed the lives of me and you,
    But you know it could have been different dad.
    The word brings back a sweet memory.
    I'm sitting on a bluff on a broken tree,
    By my side a distinguished man
    Giving me encouragement, telling me I can,
    And you know you're not there.
    You say, "Son, let's forget the past,
    I want another chance, gonna make it last."
    You're begging me for a brand new start,
    Trying to mend a bridge that's been blown apart,
    But you know you never built it dad.
    So I sit here through the night,
    And I write myself to sleep,
    And time keeps ticking
    Time has made you finally realize
    Your loneliness and your guilt inside.
    You're reaching for something you never had,
    Turning around now you're looking back,
    And you know I'm not there.
    You say, "Son, let's forget the past.
    I want another chance, gonna make it last."
    You're begging me for a brand new start,
    Trying to mend a bridge that's been blown apart,
    But you know you never built it dad.
    Songwriters: CHRISTOPHER DEGARMO
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2018
    My favorite band hands down. thank you cousin Tony Dunlap R.I.P.
    We spent many hours in the sweet spot thanks to you o:)
    Queenryche Rules
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    The Cream, Sunshine of your love on AM radio. That's when I realized The Beatles sucked.
  • nooshinjohn
    The Beatles are the reason Cream existed in the first place...