LSiM Home Theater Amp Advice

2»

Comments

• Got it! Thanks. So I’ve decided to get either a 2 or 3 channel amp and call it a day based on all the feedback you guys have provided. Currently bidding on a Parasound HCA-2003 (200x3). Hopefully that pans out. If not, maybe I’ll just go for a 2 channel and let the rx-a2070 handle the 706 and 702’s.

I have to say, I really love this forum. Lots of knowledge from people willing to share it with a newbie like me.
    Running 5.1.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), HSU VTF-2 MK4, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"
  • hlshure
    hlshure Posts: 48
    edited January 2018
    So I didn't win the bid on HCA-2003 but it looks like I'll get an opportunity to demo a Parasound A21 this weekend. Found a local guy who has is own shop and consulting gig who offered to loan me an A21 for a week to see how I like it. I was really leaning towards a 3 channel but this will at least be a good test to see how much difference I notice with an amp and whether it will be worth the extra $$.

Any opinions on how much of a difference running the center on a dedicated amp vs. the yamaha 2070 would be considering the Yamaha would no longer need to run the L/R?
    Running 5.1.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), HSU VTF-2 MK4, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Find yourself a used Sunfire TGA 7401. The A21 will give you better stereo sound but the Sunfire is a beast and will make your HT the one your neighbors will talk about.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I use a TGA 7201, and love it
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • hlshure
    edited January 2018
    So I’ve hooked up the A21, found a little more in the budget, and I can definitely tell that the amp opened up the speakers. Even my wife, who is not into this at all, commented on how it sounds more open. So my dilemma is whether to get the A21 or the Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-DR3, both of which are less than the A21 and have 3 channels instead of 2. I haven’t heard an Emotiva amp and understand from many on this forum that they can be bright. I find the LSiM’s to be pretty laid back so I don’t think I would mind if they were a touch brighter since the majority of my system is used for HT. I’ve also added in 4 Atmos speakers (Polk TL3’s) so I’m now running 5.1.4. By the way, besides power, does anyone know what the difference is between the XPA-3 and XPA-DR3 is?

@Mikey081057 @txcoastal1
    Thanks for the recommendation. Checked into those Sunfire amps. They look great but I don’t think I need a 7 channel amp when I have the 2070 that can handle my surrounds and atmos. Plus, I couldn’t find any used.
  • hlshure
    DSkip wrote: »
    One option your dealer should mention is the A52+. This will be 180 WPC and 5 channels, meaning you could leave your amp to handle the atmos channels. The A52+ will retail at $3,000. If you are considering the A21, then the A52+ might be a better solution.

Thanks @DSkip. That looks like a great amp from the bit of information I was able to find. Is the A52+ out yet? I don’t see it on the Parasound site.
  • hlshure
    edited January 2018
    @DSkip - I appreciate the suggestion. Maybe I’ll wait then as see when they come out, assuming I can hold out because I’ve been bitten pretty hard! Lol.
  • hlshure
    edited January 2018
    That didn’t take long...couldn't hold out! :smiley:
    I just pulled the trigger on a Parasound A31. Couldn’t pass up the deal. $1975 before tax. Excited!! Should have it within 2 weeks. I’ll post my thoughts as soon as I've had a chance to put it through it’s paces. Now for RCA interconnects. Any suggestions? Not looking to spend a ton but I don’t want crap cables either. One recommendation so far are Blue Jean Cables (thanks @cfrizz )
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    That's a BEAST! Nothing more to say.......
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • hlshure
    edited January 2018
    Well, I finally received it. Got my A31 hooked up and I’m starting the break in process. Now I’m off to find a rack to fit it all as my bookshelf no longer works. Lol! Thinking VTI BL404 with cherry shelves and black caps (photo below)
    but the search is still on. Here’s a couple of photos. Nothing fancy yet just the amp. Don’t judge, it and the Yamaha are on the floor until I get the rack. Can’t wait to have it all tidy and looking good! Oh, and the cables I got are Analysis Plus Oval One interconnects.
    t9utywgqyrxh.jpeg
    b13gywffq6jf.jpeg
    d8r8b1cv1c5j.jpeg

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited January 2018
    Nice, that's actually the exact same rack that I am considering. You might inquire with @helipilotdoug over at http://www.douglasconnection.com as I believe he carries VTI and offers a slight discount for Club Polk members.
    hlshure wrote: »
    Well, I finally received it. Got my A31 hooked up and I’m starting the break in process. Now I’m off to find a rack to fit it all as my bookshelf no longer works. Lol! Thinking VTI BL404 with cherry shelves and black caps (photo below)

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    DO NOT operate those while sitting on carpet. They cool by convection, carpet will hinder air flow. Get a piece of wood or something under them.

Nice setup by the way
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • hlshure
    mrloren wrote: »
    DO NOT operate those while sitting on carpet. They cool by convection, carpet will hinder air flow. Get a piece of wood or something under them.

Nice setup by the way

Thanks! I’ll get a piece of wood under them today.

• hlshure
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice, that's actually the exact same rack that I am considering. You might inquire with @helipilotdoug over at http://www.douglasconnection.com as I believe he carries VTI and offers a slight discount for Club Polk members.

I’ll check that out. I have a dealer here locally (SoCal) who quoted me $325 for the stand which I thought was a pretty good price.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Congrats, you are going to be one happy camper!

I love my VTI rack, nice and solid, and since I got it with wheels it's very easy to move when I need to get in the back.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    I am still moving stuff around and have a lot of wire to get behind the walls. Forgive the mess, but see my A51 I got from DSkip and the same rack in different color. I put felt pads on the legs of mine and can slide it with a little effort. 8cbboe3ljrrv.jpg
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• hlshure
    Earthy wrote: »
    I am still moving stuff around and have a lot of wire to get behind the walls. Forgive the mess, but see my A51 I got from DSkip and the same rack in different color. I put felt pads on the legs of mine and can slide it with a little effort. 8cbboe3ljrrv.jpg

Nice setup! Once I get the rack I have to tackle my nest of cables and wires. Learning all about the do’s and dont’s of cable management. Lol.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I put felt pads on the legs of mine and can slide it with a little effort.

That defeats the purpose of channeling vibrations from the rack to the ground.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hlshure
    DSkip wrote: »
    Those halo units are so damn nice in black. Congrats gents.

Thanks Skip!

• Earthy
    edited January 2018
    F1nut wrote: »

Am I missing something technical there, or are you making a funny joke? It seems it would keep the floor vibrations from causing the rack to vibrate. I am on a second floor not far from a 24ft steel beam over a 32x24 three car garage.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454

I’ll check that out. I have a dealer here locally (SoCal) who quoted me $325 for the stand which I thought was a pretty good price.

I can make you a rack if you want. Wouldn't be as elegant as the one you looking at but I am getting better at woodwork. PM me if you're interested.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2018
    Earthy wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Am I missing something technical there, or are you making a funny joke? It seems it would keep the floor vibrations from causing the rack to vibrate. I am on a second floor not far from a 24ft steel beam over a 32x24 three car garage.
    This is what F1 is talking about:

Spikes are one of the most economical and best methods of isolating audio equipment from the surroundings.

Here’s the physics:

Electrical currents in analogue equipment and speaker cabinets create unwanted micro vibrations inside them. Apart from these, the driver of each speaker dissipates energy in the form of vibrations that are also carried to the cabinet walls causing ringing. These internal vibrations are infact the bad actors polluting the music signal. Hence standard isolating devices like springs, rubber feet, sand, magnetic suspensions, or air bladders don’t help. These products trap the vibrations inside the component instead of draining them, exacerbating muddying of the signals, especially in the bass frequencies.(known as bass bloom)

By design, spikes do the opposite. Rigid and massive, they lock the component to the shelf below using single-point contact. The spike infact acts like a “diode” (i.e allows or drains vibrations from your equipment to the rack but does not allow vibrations from the rack to reach the equipment). It transmits waves and vibrations only downwards through the point and perpendicular to the equipment Thus becoming the most efficient way of isolating.

Experiments also show that the wrong footer material (or too little mass, or the wrong shape) can reflect distorted vibrations back into the equipment. That’s why improperly designed footers can yield sound that is dulled and lifeless or piercing and shrill.

Brass and Stainless Steel Alloys are by far the best: much more dynamic, vibrantly warm and more detailed.

We normally offer unattached spikes in sets of 3. Using four unattached footers requires leveling of one to compensate for the inevitable slight unevenness of the surface below. Using three requires no compensation and there’s no sonic advantage to using four. In case of very narrow tower speakers though, we recommend four only to add stability.

By correct utilization of a spike one is sure to dramatically improve clarity, stereo imaging and tighten up the bass response.

Music will sound strikingly more live and more gripping. Bass sounds deeper and more articulated,. Drums are crisper; cymbals sound brassier and ring more brilliantly.

Spikes are particularly effective on Hollow furniture racks and cabinets, and flooring with thick carpets and hence are a “must have”

Other reading
    http://www.symposiumusa.com/tech1.html
    http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/speaker-spikes-and-cones-2013-what2019s-the-point

Do what works for you in terms of sound and function. If one does not want to spike direct to the floor, there are spike feet available.

Spike-Feet-with-IsoPad.png
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    The VTI racks are very nice. I have the BL503 in black and silver accents. Love it and the price is very reasonable
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Earthy
    I have spikes and feet but it would make the entire rack just a bit too tall. I'll live with any minute vibration. We are usually watching action movies and doubt we would notice anything. Thanks for the read though. I think my discerning listening years are behind me with constant tinnitus.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• hlshure
    mrloren wrote: »

I can make you a rack if you want. Wouldn't be as elegant as the one you looking at but I am getting better at woodwork. PM me if you're interested.

I appreciate the offer but I have the wife to consider since my setup is in our living room! Lol. I finally found the VTI which she thought was decent. Not sure I have the energy to go through all that again! Hahaha :smile: