Equipment Racks

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,971
    Ah, interesting. Well I'm afraid I don't have experience with the noise floor as it's being described.

When I think "Noise Floor" I think of background/ambient noise, and how listening late at night is better in that regard because there's less "white" noise coming from outside, cars going down the street, etc.
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's all about lowering the noise floor, which is something one doesn't notice until it is lowered.

It's possible Bud's system is just really THAT much more revealing, and thus the little things like isolation feet start to add up and make a difference.

It's mentally difficult to wrap my head around THAT nice of a system.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Don't ever say that again please. You can hear a difference... everyone can. If your system was at his level those details can greatly alter the sound. You would be intimately familiar with the sound and pick up on it quickly.

I'm not being mean but that type of thinking is deadly to growth in this hobby. It represents a closed mind in a way.

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,134
    I don't think your system is far off if at all from showing those kinds of changes. The key is a solid cable foundation and treated room. It doesn't even have to be overblown, just focus on first reflections first.

Those are the two areas that made subtle differences blow into big ones in my own system.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    I hesitate doing too many room treatments since it's a rental, but I might post up a pic or two and see what people suggest. Even though it'll be embarrassing how lame my speakers have to be positioned.

I think the room might actually be slightly overdamped currently, but that's just my uneducated opinion.

And yeah maybe if I get a VTI rack I'll notice an aural improvement straight away with no other tweaks...?!
    I don't think your system is far off if at all from showing those kinds of changes. The key is a solid cable foundation and treated room. It doesn't even have to be overblown, just focus on first reflections first.

Those are the two areas that made subtle differences blow into big ones in my own system.

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,209
    edited January 26
    If one has some DIY skills, time, and patience can make something with the look and quality of some of a $1500-$3500 rack for much less. I ran across a craigslist listing that has a DIY rack in the picture. It reminds me of some other DIY racks that use brass hardware that emulate the Samason racks sold at the Mapleshape site: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Equipment-Racks/departments/16/

00101_h3yBiKPy4Mb_1200x900.jpg

Tons of ideas around the net, forums, pinterest, etc.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    Some panels and command strips can go a long ways.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Couldn't hurt to try!
    Some panels and command strips can go a long ways.

That's what I do at shows. It's damage free and easy to install.
    audiothesis.com/

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,237
    edited January 26
    Clipdat wrote: »

It's possible Bud's system is just really THAT much more revealing, and thus the little things like isolation feet start to add up and make a difference.

When I first realized the benefits of clean power, and vibration elimination, I was using Cambridge Audio pre and amps, Wadia iTransport for iPod, and a Bryston DAC. All this on a flimsy home entertainment center. I was amazed at the improvement every time I upgraded a power cable, conditioner, a brass footer. The gear I have now is based on that foundation.

Also, at that time I was using a shared circuit that the whole left side of the house used.

gzaqcawo5ym4.jpeg

Post edited by BlueFox on
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,131
    WLDock wrote: »
    If one has some DIY skills, time, and patience can make something with the look and quality of some of a $1500-$3500 rack for much less. I ran across a craigslist listing that has a DIY rack in the picture. It reminds me of some other DIY racks that use brass hardware that emulate the Samason racks sold at the Mapleshape site: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Equipment-Racks/departments/16/

PM me that CL ad lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,587
    Thanks for the insight. You might have better ears than I do. I don't know if I'd be able to discern/detect a sound wave's vibration/impact on the equipment and the associated negative sound quality.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The vibrations on the equipment rack, and on the equipment, come from the speaker sound waves hitting them. Gear is susceptible to the tiniest vibrations, and those vibrations alter the sound. That is why in addition to having a solid, vibration resistant rack, the gear should also be on some type of vibration draining footer. I use Mapleshade Micropoint Brass footers, but there are other vendors and types.

Don't ever say that again please. You can hear a difference... everyone can. If your system was at his level those details can greatly alter the sound. You would be intimately familiar with the sound and pick up on it quickly.

I'm not being mean but that type of thinking is deadly to growth in this hobby. It represents a closed mind in a way.

You don't know what you don't know, as the saying goes. I had to take myself out of the mindset of "most of that stuff is bull, and, wouldn't matter on my meager system" and actually try some stuff id just ignored because it was easier than having to spend money on something that "probably won't make a difference anyway." I started room treatments with acoustic foam purchased from Walmart online and placed on the wall with painters tape. Easy, removable and enlightening.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• tonybtonyb Posts: 30,169
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's all about lowering the noise floor, which is something one doesn't notice until it is lowered.

Spot on here. Most don't know they even have an abundance of it, until it's gone and the results are eye opening. Because most don't realize they even have noise, they fail to even pursue cures for it.

Which, sometimes your better off being blinded, your wallet may appreciate that fact. :)

Nice racks btw, wish someone could make a reasonable one though that doesn't cost used car kinda money and looks nice.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    edited January 28

PM me that CL ad lol...
    Coming your way, its from CL South Bend.

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,967
    FYI--Timber Nation will do custom work including just slabs. He would do slaps with pre-drilled holes if you wanted to do a DIY Maple Shades stand, just tell him what you want. He'll also put the custom stains.

pricing and shipping is very reasonable. Chris Futrick is his name and really a nice guy

If you go back to the LSAF threads (pics of my rooms) all the rack and amp stands were made by Timber Nation
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    Here's an expensive rack that I think is cool. I actually misses out a chance to purchase one of their entry racks for a couple of hundred. I like the vented banboo shelves.

Quadraspire X Reference
    quadraspire.com
    https://www.needledoctor.com/Quadraspire-X-Reference-Audio-Rack

CAD-source-and-grounding-components-on-xreference.jpg

4d9bcf19bf3732beaccfddf8d113857b.jpg
    FAMILY ROOM
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,587
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    FYI--Timber Nation will do custom work including just slabs. He would do slaps with pre-drilled holes if you wanted to do a DIY Maple Shades stand, just tell him what you want. He'll also put the custom stains.

pricing and shipping is very reasonable. Chris Futrick is his name and really a nice guy

If you go back to the LSAF threads (pics of my rooms) all the rack and amp stands were made by Timber Nation

Going to contact Mapleshade tomorrow and see if I can order the gold/brass nuts, washers and cap nuts. I kind of like that idea. Could probably drill them out myself with a good Forstner bit. I can handle the stain part as well. Been looking, off and on, past year or two for the hardware like Mapleshade uses, but, I haven't found it, or anything like it.

Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Oh hell yes! Those vented bamboo shelves are perfect!
    Here's an expensive rack that I think is cool. I actually misses out a chance to purchase one of their entry racks for a couple of hundred. I like the vented banboo shelves.

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 484
    I'll reel this back in a bit with Salamander Designs racks which are a little more budget-friendly, and still fully adjustable and customizable.
    03e5wfat98qx.jpg
    https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/modular-open-stands/ I picked-up a used one on CL for storing bullpen components.

For strictly turntable setup, I have one of these from Turntable Lab.
    hdptuf38kgdc.jpg
    https://www.turntablelab.com/collections/turntable-listening-packages-alpha/products/line-phono-turntable-station These are quite solid and heavy, especially once weighted-down with a couple hundred records. I can actually move records in-and-out of the shelves with a record playing without any skipping.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,531
    edited January 29
    I built speaker stands using the same interlocking slots as that bottom rack. My stands tilted the speakers backward a little bit. And there was no glue or nails or screws. They were super strong and rigid too. Everybody liked them. They were kind-of hobo artsy.

And I could take them apart and lay em flat. I used 1/4" Birch plywood though. I might still have them but I doubt it.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    edited January 30
    Nice. I remember when TTL first introduced that stand. Pretty nice piece, but a lot of people were complaining about the price and that it's MDF.

I'm pretty much sold on this VTI BL404SC rack at this point, with an additional 7" shelf added. Seems like it's a decent combination of looks, performance, and low price.

BL404SC1.jpg
    edited January 30
    VTI is an industry standard due to decent build quality, modular design, and price point. For a first rack, you really can't go wrong. Heck, for many, its the last rack they buy.

On a personal note, I really like the Quadraspire racks as well. I've considered many times picking them up, but even with dealer pricing its quite a shock to the wallet. I've looked at other options but I think Quadraspire offers a pretty solid offering from top to bottom with a good variety of designs to suit most people.
    audiothesis.com/

• machonemachone Posts: 1,018
    I bought a VTI with glass shelving. Loved the look but the glass ringed so a cut 3/4" mdf shelving to put under the glass. Filled the posts with sand. All good now!

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179843/new-rack#latest
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 24 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,657
    Nice choice w vti

I have one. Someday when I have extra cash I’ll spring for a new rack, but the vti has been so dependable, you’d have to spend a lot more to get significant gains.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • helipilotdoughelipilotdoug Posts: 1,182
    Went with the VTI BL404SC I posted above. Seemed to be the best price to performance ratio, it also looks damn good, IMO. Thanks to @helipilotdoug for the deal. Anyone looking for a VTI rack should hit up Douglas Connection.

Pretty excited that I'll have a proper equipment rack soon!

Thank you Drew :) Looks like your rack and extra shelf will be delivered tomorrow. Fun weekend ahead for you!
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • Easy RunninEasy Runnin Posts: 412
    What do think of BDI? Are they quality pieces? I’m looking for something around 48 inches wide.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 821
    What do think of BDI? Are they quality pieces? I’m looking for something around 48 inches wide.

The VTI BL503 is a great rack, Its 44" wide. I run one in my 2 channel setup
    XMkEuCF.jpg
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Music Hall MMF7.3 I Lounge Audio LCR Mk III I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K Ref 200.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

• verbverb Posts: 4,032
    Am i imagining something, but was there a rack pic on this thread (hint-bikini clad)? Was it removed?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Project BoxE, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    Yep, @Rick88 posted up some jugs that he couldn't afford, but now it's gone. Nice.
    verb wrote: »
    Am i imagining something, but was there a rack pic on this thread (hint-bikini clad)? Was it removed?

• tonybtonyb Posts: 30,169
    stangman67 wrote: »

The VTI BL503 is a great rack, Its 44" wide. I run one in my 2 channel setup
    XMkEuCF.jpg

Nice man, sweet, clean looking set-up. How's those Focals breaking in for ya ?
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 497
    My bad. I posted the unedited version. Here's the racks I like best.

v49a0rz8l01s.jpg
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t