Gutters

We had a LeafGuard rep come out and give us a quote on their gutter system for our house. After 2 hrs and a bit of haggling about best price, it came to $7,800. While it seems like a decent product and the technology sound, I just couldnt pull the trigger on nearly 8k for gutters. Anyone had these or similar installed?

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Run, don't walk.

Unless you have a 5 story, multiple high pitch and inaccessible home that requires multitudes of scaffolding and OSHA stopping by on a daily basis?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I had the DIY screens on my gutters. Problem is the small stuff gets through and becomes a bigger pain to remove and then clean. I’m back to just cleaning every spring. This year I was lazy and hired a company for 200 bucks to clean them for me.

78 large will buy a lot of audio equipment !!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Run, don't walk.

Unless you have a 5 story, multiple high pitch and inaccessible home that requires multitudes of scaffolding and OSHA stopping by on a daily basis?

Tom

Ha! No, typical 2 story house. About 190 linear feet of gutters, plus downspouts.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    That's expensive, but...

How many linear feet? Is it the entire gutter and downspout system? What material would the gutters be made from?

My guess is that the price is for a seamless system with integrated guards, installation, and disposal of the old gutters and repair of any damaged boards. May be a fair price for that, but you could get less expensive gutters. But if other properties in your neighborhood have similar systems you may want to go with the high end system.

When I had my roof replaced a couple years ago, I thought about getting new gutters too but just kept the ones there. They are steel with grates. Work ok. I have some guys come around once a year to clean them out for around $100.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Run like your nuts were on fire!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • deronb1
    Emlyn wrote: »
    That's expensive, but...

How many linear feet? Is it the entire gutter and downspout system? What material would the gutters be made from?

My guess is that the price is for a seamless system with integrated guards, installation, and disposal of the old gutters and repair of any damaged boards. May be a fair price for that, but you could get less expensive gutters. But if other properties in your neighborhood have similar systems you may want to go with the high end system.

When I had my roof replaced a couple years ago, I thought about getting new gutters too but just kept the ones there. They are steel with grates. Work ok. I have some guys come around once a year to clean them out for around $100.

Yes, all that you described. Hooded system that uses surface tension to guide the wster into the gutter. Read up on it a bit and many said it cant keep up when it rains really hard. Also hard to clean and could be a good haven for bees and other things.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Had them out for a bid. Not impressed. Gutters more than my roof? I think not...
  • deronb1
    Had them out for a bid. Not impressed. Gutters more than my roof? I think not...

Yeah, its just too much money imo. I dont mind paying for quality items that work as promised, but just started to get that "bent over" feeling.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Assuming your existing gutters aren't in need of replacement, $7800 would pay for a lifetime of gutter cleanings if'n you don't want to climb the ladder.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Wow, either I'm out of touch with current pricing, or that quote is astronomical! We had a local company put seamless gutters on our house - about 160-170 LF total with 5 downspouts, and a leaf guard system that works very well (our lot is heavily wooded and no problems in the 7-8 years they've been up). If I remember correctly, we only paid $1200.

Plus, I always doubted that 'hooded' system. Water tension would be overwhelmed in heavy rains, and at that point, the gutters might as well not even be there.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I can't clean mine out. I gotta keep my mind in it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    When we had our roof replaced about 12 years ago, we called for a few estimates on replacing the gutters at the same time. When I called, I told whoever I spoke to that our house is single story (it is, but that's another *ahem* story), and I wanted a price per linear foot? Isn't that how it's done?
    Anyway, I got prices ranging from $3.75/ft ~ $6/ft for LeafGuard-type gutters ... until I told them we only needed 60' total. Once that fact came out, I never heard back from any of them. So we had the roofing guy bring his own contractor and had them done for $120. Yeah, I pay $50 x 2 for cleaning them every year, but I figure I can't fall off of a ladder I never set foot on, right?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited January 2018
    My neighbor had the larger seamless gutters installed, rolled ends, they are designed for leaves etc....also the larger diameter downspouts.

2 story above ground, about 150' of gutter, plus 4 large downspouts.

Install price was $750.

$7800 is criminal by a large margin.
  • deronb1
    gmcman wrote: »
    My neighbor had the larger seamless gutters installed, rolled ends, they are designed for leaves etc....also the larger diameter downspouts.

2 story above ground, about 150' of gutter, plus 4 large downspouts.

Install price was $750.

$7800 is criminal by a large margin.

Wow! Yeah, glad i declined. Whew!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2018
    We had a similar experience; guy came to the door to talk about roof replacement. We were in the market so my wife said why not? After 45 minutes of measuring and discussing and salesmanship, I ask him for the bottom line price wise. It was like a dealership experience.....MSRO he says would be $17k but if we signed up right now it would only be $13k. I told him not so politely to get the &!$) our of my House for wasting my time. He gets on the phone, rings the door bell and says he just talked to his supervisor and got it down to $8.5k. Long story short, we got the roof replaced with new gutters from a local reputable company for $3k.....

As for the guards, I use the donut yourself guards. I do have to clean them out once a year for the little stuff that gets through, but we live in a heavily wooded lot and I was having to do it weekly over the fall months. Cost like $200 for enough to do the house all the way around

PS- this is for a house that is less than 1500 square feet....
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    $7,800...did they include cab fair home after that forking or did they expect you to walk home with shoes in hand?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • deronb1
    mrbiron wrote: »
    $7,800...did they include cab fair home after that forking or did they expect you to walk home with shoes in hand?

Ha! In hone sales presentation, but offered no lube...
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    I had them installed on my house for just over a grand. They are alright. Critters do get in them. They work with rain just fine but ice buildups up worse. Probably won't do it again.

$7800 is robbery.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Interesting thread as I'm starting to contemplate some home improvements, and, working as much as I do I'm starting to lean to paying someone to do the work, which is something I would have never done a few years ago. New gutters and leaf guards are something I'm considering. Had I gotten a quote like $7800 I probably been arrested for assault.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Interesting thread as I'm starting to contemplate some home improvements, and, working as much as I do I'm starting to lean to paying someone to do the work, which is something I would have never done a few years ago. New gutters and leaf guards are something I'm considering. Had I gotten a quote like $7800 I probably been arrested for assault.

You're a serial killer, Kerry. You would invite the salesperson into your home....and then make sure he never left....
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    lightman1 wrote: »
    You're a serial killer, Kerry. You would invite the salesperson into your home....and then make sure he never left....

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the downspout again.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Whatever you decide @deronb1 don't hire these guys !!!
    yx5pomvkdrdm.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2018
    verb wrote: »
    Whatever you decide @deronb1 don't hire these guys !!!
    yx5pomvkdrdm.png

That’s some quality craftsmanship right there; all that weight on the gutters and no sag?!?!?! I wonder what kind of gutter hangers they were using!!!!
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    shawn474 wrote: »
    ....all that weight on the gutters and no sag?!?!?!
    When I hear the phrase "no sag", I think of something else. But then, my mind is always in the....gutter.

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    shawn474 wrote: »
    all that weight on the gutters and no sag?!?!?! I wonder what kind of gutter hangers they were using!!!!

Not the ones Clark had.

https://youtu.be/kMtBHA783c8
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    14 grand for the roof rwo and a half grand for the Leaf Guard gutters. I sleep well..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    warren wrote: »
    14 grand for the roof rwo and a half grand for the Leaf Guard gutters. I sleep well..

$6K for my 40 year roof, $7500 for Leafguards, nope...
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I have nothing to offer! $14.54 and ham sammich.....
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I have nothing to offer! $14.54 and ham sammich.....

SOLD!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)