The Most Famous Speaker in the History of Rock

2»

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    For those that haven’t heard the new JBL synthesis series, really owe it to themselves to have a listen. And make sure they don’t mind turning it up. They sure are ugly though. 088zz7av05ad.jpeg

Those owe it to the Everest series and yes very much eyes and ear candy.

People used to make fun of my JBL HLS610's i used in all positions in my HT, they played WAY above the price i paid for them. There is something about the horns JBL used that don't Ice pick my ears the way Klipsch does.

A lot of the JBL stuff i really liked but they also had some real dogs in their kennels.

Just a few dogs. not many.
    That HLS series is AWESOME. I have some HLS 620' towers and the HLS 810's and a HLS center. I listened to Led Zeppelin's " No Quarter " on just the towers and no sub one day. This happened.VVVVrmf5igrjwomw.jpg
    https://youtu.be/kW3xDZrlBQs

Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Most JBL horns do "ice pick" me :(
    (and Klipsch -- well, the Cornwalls have been gone from our house for a pretty long time)

I'm finally starting to catch on vis-a-vis the sweet, smooth horns, thanks to enablers like Joe Rosen :)

This being said, I'm open-eared when it comes to the current JBL offerings -- although they're not the super-high-sensitivity JBLs of old (which is a bit of a demotivator for a fleapower guy like me).

I’ve never enjoyed horns, I’ve always felt they were ice picks in my ears. These JBL’s are so smooth and none fatiguing, it’s really quite impressive. And although I find them ugly, the finish is absolutely top notch, and I could easily live with them in my living room. They are very big though!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Tony M
    I agree with some horns are torture. Even to my thick eardrums. :s
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    There are good horns & bad horns.

Good horns.

31394669774_c3ce8904c0_b.jpgDSC_6853 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

r4qdxu4lsni8.jpg

Bad horns.

14079655091_caac48766a_z.jpgdampedcornyhornies by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Not that I am biased or anything :)

• Tony M
    I really liked the horns in 2 sets of Heresy's I've owned. I wish I still had them. I missed a set of Heresy's at an Estate Sale by 5 min.. Price for the Pr. 50.00. :o

My KG4's were very good also.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

Tony M wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    For those that haven’t heard the new JBL synthesis series, really owe it to themselves to have a listen. And make sure they don’t mind turning it up. They sure are ugly though. 088zz7av05ad.jpeg

Those owe it to the Everest series and yes very much eyes and ear candy.

People used to make fun of my JBL HLS610's i used in all positions in my HT, they played WAY above the price i paid for them. There is something about the horns JBL used that don't Ice pick my ears the way Klipsch does.

A lot of the JBL stuff i really liked but they also had some real dogs in their kennels.

Just a few dogs. not many.
    That HLS series is AWESOME. I have some HLS 620' towers and the HLS 810's and a HLS center. I listened to Led Zeppelin's " No Quarter " on just the towers and no sub one day.
    I disliked the center. I got rid of it, I never thought it blended because of the smaller woofers. The 610's dug pretty well for a 2 way bookie. I would of loved to get ears on the 620/820 towers. I bought mine brand new from best buy for 100$ a pair on clearance best money i ever spent for 3pr of speakers. Yea baby!

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Too bad these never really took off ...

7z3uqfkkv53b.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    ^^^^^^
    Scary Good!

I'd love to hear them before I die! :p
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    verb wrote: »

7z3uqfkkv53b.jpg

Ahead of their time... But only by 5 years or so methinks.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2018
    verb wrote: »

7z3uqfkkv53b.jpg

At 10g for a set they sold pretty darn well. Something south of 1000 sets sold. That was a ton of money for the time.
    You needed a large room of course as well.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Ok, back to topic: Clair Brothers Audio S4. They are the most famous speakers in Rock. They played ALL the venues in their day (20+ years).
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I, too, think they are appealing. I've had some JBL stuff over the years and some if it is surprisingly good. I agree with the earlier post that often times their more affordable offerings hit way above their street price.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Even the Flintstones had a pair of these

u617pvp7y78d.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |