HDMI/DVI matched with Home Theater

Options
pbc74
pbc74 Posts: 63
edited November 2004 in Electronics
I'm getting ready to buy an HDTV and I want to make sure I get a set with all the connections that I will need for the next few years. I read that HDMI is going to be the new standard kind of like when televisions began to have s-video connections.

How will this change the way we hook up our televisions to our receivers? Will we need a receiver with multiple HDMI inputs/outputs?
Main system:

Fronts: Infinity Alpha 50
Center: Infinity Alpha 37c
Surrounds: Infinity Alpha 20
Receiver: Onkyo TS-XR607
Subwoofer: Pioneer S-DW1-K
Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
surrounds- Polk R30
center- CS1
sub- Sony 50 watt
AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
Cable- Monster Cable XP
Post edited by pbc74 on

Comments

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Eventually, I hope, everything will be as you have gathered. You will need multipe HDMI inputs on your receiver.
    Each video source(DSS,Cable,DVD,Digital VHS, etc), that has audio as well, will have the video and audio sent together in the digital domain through the HDMI cable.
    This simplifies hookup and tries to ensure signal quality by keeping everything digital from source to display.
    I can't wait for it all to become available.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Just to bad HDMI isn't doing audio yet...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2004
    Options
    For those that are not familiar with HDMI.
    http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/why_hdmi.asp
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • pbc74
    edited November 2004
    Options
    ...thanks for the responses and the info.
    Main system:

Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
    surrounds- Polk R30
    center- CS1
    sub- Sony 50 watt
    AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
    Cable- Monster Cable XP
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much so long as it has component video input. There seems to be some debate which looks better anyway.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2004
    Options
    it seems to me that the TV industry is leading the way in terms of being at the cutting edge of digital connectors. DVD players and receivers follow their leads.

so to me it appears that it'll be a few years down the road till receivers have HDMI connectors in them.. by which time.. the next generation of digital connector will be out. of course. they won't be compatible with each other. Can't the manufacturers make it so their products alll communicate with each other easily?

Why is this?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited November 2004
    Options
    HDMI will be the standard, but unless you plan on buying all new components in the near future it's a waste of money. Only the top receivers in the $4500-6000 range have the ability to switch it. The picture quality is immediately noticeable when you switch between component and HDMI. The new up-scaling HD DVD players benefit the most from this pure digital transfer to your set. By keeping the scaled video pure you benefit from what it’s trying to accomplish. As far as a true HD signal it’s only a marginal improvement. So if you are only benefiting from one source why switch it? Even the new Denon 5805 will not up convert component to HDMI. I say if you need a switcher use the Gefen remote HDMI switcher for $249 and save your money for the future.

-Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • pbc74
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm just worried as far as murphy's law. If I buy an hdmi set then it might end up being something that I don't really need. If I don't buy hdmi, then all of sudden in a few years it will be critical. I think it's probably better to be safe and buy a set with hdmi.
    Main system:

Cable- Monster Cable XP

Bedroom Setup:

fronts- Polk R50
    surrounds- Polk R30
    center- CS1
    sub- Sony 50 watt
    AVR- Onkyo TSXR502
    Cable- Monster Cable XP
  • Bonham
    Bonham Posts: 87
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Well, when I bought my set DVI was the best thing... and it was new enough that no one was REALLY using it yet. But I got it anyhow cause I knew eventually I would.

Put it this way, I was going to be paying $1800 for a tv without it and maybe $2000 for one with it... something I plan on keeping a damn long time... so I might as well spend a bit extra to make sure it lasts as long as possible with the technology.
    Just... Bonham

Hitachi 52" Rear Proj' HDTV: 51XWX20B
    Comcast Motorola HD/DVR Cable Box; DCT6214/2005
    Sony Prog' Scan DVD; NS752P
    Harman Kardon AVR 7300 Receiver
    Harmony 659 Universal Remote
    Polk Monitor 70 Front Mains
    Polk CS2 Center
    Polk PSW12 Sub
    Polk FXi3 Surrounds