Polk Magnifi Mini HDMI ARC Not Working

I have a 2017 Samsung UN55MU9000 tv with a HDMI ARC port, but when I connect the Magnifi Mini through that connection it doesn't read the speaker. It worked for a minute or two when I first powered on the speaker but now it doesn't work at all. Any suggestions?

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Make sure you connect the Mini to your WiFi in order to get the latest updates. Make sure ARC is enabled on the Samsung. It should work by default, however.
  • berndo
    berndo Posts: 2
    I am having a similar issue with the HDMI ARC where I have to unplug the HDMI cable every time I turn on the unit or sound is not produced. How do you connect to wifi..don't see anywhere for a username/pword
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    berndo wrote: »
    I am having a similar issue with the HDMI ARC where I have to unplug the HDMI cable every time I turn on the unit or sound is not produced. How do you connect to wifi..don't see anywhere for a username/pword
    Download the Google Home app to connect to the Mini.
  • berndo
    berndo Posts: 2
    for some reason unit won't play a sound unless you unplug the HDMI plug and plug back in. I did download the google home app and connected the mini thank you
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    My (non-ARC) problems cleared up after attaching to network via ethernet and bringing up Google Home. IIRC, the firmware update automatically downloaded (v20), but it wasn't until some time later (overnight) that play was issue-free. I'm guessing it needed some downtime to reboot since (I'm fairly sure) I was not given a choice to reboot in Google Home. The Mini has remained attached since the update.

Not sure if it's the case here, but in my experience, most (AV pre pro) HDMI handshake problems have cleared up with firmware updates.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • fpenguin
    fpenguin Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Same issue here. HDMI Arc has been working flawlessly for many months with my Samsung UN55J6300, but all of a sudden it stopped working since last week.

I have the latest firmware of Samsung v1500 and Google Cast firmware v20. Tried a lot of different settings but still haven't figured out how to get HDMI ARC back.

The situation is a bit peculiar.

When the Polk Mini is turned off, clicking on Volume buttons from my AppleTV remote will adjust the TV volume. As soon as Polk Mini is turned on, AppleTV remote will adjust Polk Mini volumn, but the sound will still come from the TV speakers.

Having the Samsung Aninet+ setting On, and changing the Speaker List to HDMI does not help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    I'll send this to Polk CS.
  • guyrab
    guyrab Posts: 6
    I just got my polk mini Magnifi, audio quality is great, everything works via the optical connection, google cast, bluetooth. I cannot get my ARC HDMI to work (and this is how I need the polk to work through). as i said everything works via the optical (so handshake with my LG SJ850 SUPER UHD TV works via optical). but I cannot get my ARC to work... the ARC does work with other devices so the TV is not the problem.

I tried disconnecting and connecting a million times doesn't help. i got it to work after 50 times for 20 minutes via ARC, but that's that. any ideas?

I read there is also the matter of FW. how do i upgrade the firmware on the polk? I just attached it via the ethernet cable to my network.... maybe this is going to solve something..... any help will be appreciated.
  • guyrab
    I just got my polk mini Magnifi, audio quality is great, everything works via the optical connection, google cast, bluetooth. I cannot get my ARC HDMI to work (and this is how I need the polk to work through). as i said everything works via the optical (so handshake with my LG SJ850 SUPER UHD TV works via optical). but I cannot get my ARC to work... the ARC does work with other devices so the TV is not the problem.

I tried disconnecting and connecting a million times doesn't help. i got it to work after 50 times for 20 minutes via ARC, but that's that. any ideas?

I read there is also the matter of FW. how do i upgrade the firmware on the polk? I just attached it via the ethernet cable to my network.... maybe this is going to solve something..... any help will be appreciated.
  • guyrab

• Same problem here about the ARC that is not turning on the sound bar.. Only after reconnecting the hdmi cable...
    Cam someone please give a solution to that?
  • Similiar problems to guyrab. HDMI ARC worked initially when LG TV was first turned on. To get it to work subsequently had to go into settings-sound and change output to external speakers every time TV was turned on- very annoying! I tried optical cable and that didn't work either. Later I downloaded Google Home and optical cable worked when tv was turned on, but not HDMI ARC. But I want optical connection free for Blu-ray player. Any thoughts on how to get HDMI ARC to work?
  • We have LG TV. HDMI ARC has been flaky. Just connected mini to wifi and got latest software. We will see if this resolves issue. To get it to work initially, we had to turn on Sound Out and turn on Simplink. It seems to work fine until we turn everything off. Had to disconnect/reconnect hdmi cable on mini to get it working again today.
  • @kmartin1125 having the same problem with my new LG TV.. annoying that it doesn't work without having to unplug and plug the HDMI back in..
  • OK...updated software on mini yesterday. After TV and mini powered off overnight, we had the same result of it not working without reseating the hdmi cable on the mini. Hopefully this little annoyance gets resolved soon.
  • Will these HDMI ARC issues with Magnifi Mini ever get fixed?
  • HDMI ARC not worked, same problems as above comments, please help
  • I had a similar issue with my LG OLED TV. (55B7V)
    It seems it was not related to ARC, but rather CEC. (which is called "Simplik" by LG)
    Once I configured the HDMI ARC input on the TV (chosen the right device type, and manufacturer), everything magically started to work.
    My guess is that HDMI CEC, similary to ARC, is not well-standarized. By default, the LG TV probably uses some standard CEC protocol, and after configuring the HDMI input, it adjust the protocol to the actual device.
    I also read somewhere, that sometimes devices connected to other HDMI ports, can disturb the CEC protocol, causing it to shutdown. (but it was not the case here - I had 2 other HDMI devices connected, but none of them supports HDMI CEC)

The only issue I have now is that sometimes the Dolby is lost (green LED disappears), while playing Netflix on the TV. But it seems to happen only on Netflix, and temporarily switching the input on Polk from ARC to Optical, always fixes the issue.

Hope this helps somebody.
  • I have the same issue on my LG Oled C8. Configuring the universal remote and choosing the right device hasn’t helped either. I am just stuck. I tried using both optical and HDMI Arc at the same time. It kind of works but the issue is that the sound bar switches to HDMI Arc whenever I turn the TV ON. Hope Polk fixed this soon! The weird part is that this same sound bar used to work flawlessly with my old Samsung LED TV.
  • chaker wrote: »
    Once I configured the HDMI ARC input on the TV (chosen the right device type, and manufacturer), everything magically started to work.
    Curious, do you mean selecting the device through the Ubiversal remote setting it is there a different way to set up HDMI Arc Device?

• Any update? Any way to fix this issue? Thanks.
  • When I play a movie through Smartshare, from laptop to LG, no sound on my new Polk Mini on HDMI ARC or optical, only on Bluetooth (but not fluent). Any ideas?
  • hi,

I've just got this osundbar and seems to be working ok, only issue I'm having is i have connect my devices to the sounder directly, my ps4 works fine but my sky box isn't getting picked up.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Roshalshas reported
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • jamwin
    jamwin Posts: 1
    I have the same problem - LG TV and Polk M Mini work fine together if no other HDMI devices are connected to the TV - but if my Apple TV is connected, I need to unplug the HDMI or power from the sound bar and re-connect it to get any sound out. Annoying.
  • ehrensperger
    ehrensperger Posts: 2
    edited January 2021
    I have the same problem with new Samsung Smart TV and Polk soundbar. As long as everything is powered up sound works great. Once you power down and restart, the Polk looses the HDMI3 ARC input. Only thing that works is unplugging both from power, wait a minute and plug back in. Power up and things work fine. Bluetooth on Polk works fine but there is a small sound lag with the picture.
    I have the Polk Signa S2 Soundbar.

Thoughts ???
    Post edited by ehrensperger on
  • Lukad
    Lukad Posts: 3
    Witam zakupiłem zestaw Polk Audio MagniFi Mini po podłączeniu kablem hdmi arc do telewizora samsung ue50hu6900s nie mam dzwieku w urządzeniu, mogę prosić o pomoc w rozwiązaniu problemu! Po podłączeniu przez bluetooth z telefonem dźwięk jest. Proszę o pomoc
  • Lukad
    Hello, I bought the Polk Audio MagniFi Mini set, after connecting the HDMI arc cable to the samsung ue50hu6900s TV, I have no sound in the device, I can ask for help in solving the problem! After connecting via bluetooth with the phone, the sound is there. Please help
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,450
    Hello,
    The problem might be related to the settings of the Samsung. Make sure you have the ARC function selected in the setup menu.
  • Lukad
    What does the green LED mean?