DAC + cables review

LuSh
LuSh Posts: 887
edited November 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello all, several months ago I started a quest for a new CD player. Currently I'm using a NAD 541i CDP hooked up to a Simaudio i-5080 via Cardas Twinlink interconnects which powers two Polk Audio LSi9's on Sansus Ultimate foundation stands.

I had the opportunity to test a DAC. It's a Museatex Meilor. For those of you who dont knowl, Ed Meitner use to do wonders with normal redbook dac's years ago. His DAC's still compete with some of the best stuff out there today. Ed currently runs his own Company EMM labs, he's dedicated on all SACD and high resolution sources. Most of his work is in the professional arena but his stuff is available for the Audiophile High enders. His latest CDP/Preamp costs over 10k and is always talked about on audiogon.

At any rate, I was fortunate to get an older Meitner DAC that was modded by Museatex. The man who runs Museatex was Meither's old running mate years ago. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1104031293
I was sent this DAC along with Kimber 8TC speaker wire, Harmonic Technology's Prosilway mk2 interconnects, a Van Den Hul digital Interconnect, and a Moray James digital interconnect.

First I tried the cables, to my surprise there was a huge difference between my old cardas and HT interconnects. So much so I wanted to throw out the HT interconnects after only a few minutes. I hated the sound so much, it was muted, dumbed down, and felt like the soul had been ripped from the music. But alas' I left it in there. 3 nights later I switched back to the Cardas, and suddenly they sounded bright, harsh and not as musical. What I once thought was a more lively wire was actually a wire that gave me more then the music on the CD. I then hooked up the Museatex DAC with an Harmonic Tech digital interconnect. The difference in sound was there, but not as much or as noticable as the cable switch. About 2 hours into it, I really started to hear how much more musical the Museatex was, it had already been plugged in for 2 days but I was expecting a Night and Day difference in an instant. This doesn't happen often. The differences are there, but you have to be patient. Audio memory is long term, not short.

To my suprise though, the next night I hooked up the Moray James digital Interconnect ($500) one word. WHOA. The differences I heard were instant. Suddenly the DAC wasn't being held back by a connection and the NAD and Museatex were now sown at the hips. The musical differences were LARGE. Vocals were clear, dynamic differences I thought only an AMp could make, and a musical feel that made even older recordings like The Band shine even though they use to sound somewhat shrill on my NAD. What a difference.

I really think that I have no outgrown my Speakers with this setup. The LSi's still hold together, but the dynamic and musical efforts of these speakers have been pushed. The LSi's are very much the weakest link now. I have learned alot over the last week, and I'm glad I found this DAC, how I'm going to afford a digital cable to make it all come together is beyond me. But now I know. I have a complete understanding of "high-end".

It's been a fun little journey. My next upgrade will be speakers, so far I've been considering Reference 3a's, Totem Hawks, Focus Audio. This won't happen for many more moon's so for right now I'm just enjoying it on my LSi's.

btw, I was using an XLO power cord from the DAC. This might have made a difference, I didn't have the stock power cord on hand to compare. Aftermarket power cords are recommened with the Transports as well. The NAD however doesn't have a detachable cord.
Post edited by LuSh on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2004
    Excellent write up! I agree about with you about external DAC's. I have a NAD C541 and I used to have an Audio Alchemy DAC and jitter reducers. The external DAC's were awesome. Had their own sound and gave recordings a more 'intimate' feel. And yeah, they sound better if you don't turn them off. AA suggested that the units be powered at all the time and it would take 48hrs before they reach ther potential. You should check audiogon for some jitter reducers. They really improved the overall sound of my DAC. I had two jitter reducers which sounded slightly better than one.

What are you powering the LSi with?(pre/amp) They're excellent speakers and IMO there's a possibility that you maxed out the pre or the amp instead of the speakers.

Maurice
  • LuSh
    edited November 2004
    SimAudio Moon i-5080 intergrated.
    http://www.simaudio.com/mooni5080.htm

There is no on/off button on my DAC.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    You think you were blown away, now go and replace the 'standard' 20 Ohm RCA (dig) out on your CDP and DAC, with TRUE 75 Ohm RCA, and take it to the next level.

I'm in the process now of modding my AMC CD8b and Audio Alchemy DAC and Jitter reducer with TRUE 75 Ohm jacks. Got some dig cables custom made with WBT 75 Ohm connectors.

It was something that crossed my mind a couple weeks ago, talking about dig cables.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited November 2004
    Aaah eff that. I doubt you can max out that int just yet:). That thing is a beauty! Which LSi model do you own? I have the 9's and find that they can sound way too warm most of the time. I prefer a more neutral sounding speaker now with warm sounding amplification.

Since you want more dynamics, add the Klipsch Reference series to your list. I've had my RF-35 for almost a year and I'm still blown away everytime I hear them sing. They replaced a pair of LSi9. Once in a while I like to take out the LSi and listen for a few hours but they never stay. I'm horny all the way:D. That int and a pair of Klipsch(super efficient) will produce dynamics that will kick you in the nuts.

You should check out Monitor Audio and the higher end PSB also.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited November 2004
    Almost forgot. Russ have a very good point. But you should be OK on the NAD. According to their site (for my C541), the digital coax out is a true 75 Ohm output. You should check the DAC.

Russ,
    Which jitter reducer did you get?

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    The output may be 75ohm, I can almost guarantee the jack itself isn't.

AA DTI.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • LuSh
    edited November 2004
    PSB and Klipsch wouldn' be an upgrade in my mind, just a difference in sound, The Revels, Reference 3a MM De Capo's would be a night and day difference.