amber straight line pre....????

hotwheelman
hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
edited November 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Any of you ever heard of this brand? Guy local to me has a amber striaght line pre model # sl-17 w/phono input. Just curious to see what it is worth and if I should jump on it if the price is right. I will be calling him to go by and see what he has as he says he is an avid collector of audio. He also says that he has some luxman, sansui, and nad gear also.

HWM
"Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
Post edited by hotwheelman on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    If it's a 'line stage', it doesn't have a phono. It may have an input marked 'phono', but no actual phono stage.

Heard of it, nothing special jumping out at me.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hotwheelman
    edited November 2004
    Thanks russ, just wanted to see if it was anything to bring to the house or not. I guess I will take a peek at it while I am there this week, I will let you all know what he has holed up.

HWM
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • hotwheelman
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by hotwheelman
    Thanks russ, just wanted to see if it was anything to bring to the house or not. I guess I will take a peek at it while I am there this week, I will let you all know what he has holed up.

HWM

I am making plans to make a run by this guys house tomorrow, I do not have any $$ amounts on this stuff as of yet but I do have a partial listing and if anything is of interest to any of you I will get prices and snap a pic for you.

Sansui AU-717 Intregrated Amp, 85 WPC, Black with Rack Mountable Handles, Dual power Supplies, Original Owners Manual and
    sales brochure.
    Sansui TU-517 Tuner, Black with the Rack Handles, Original Owners Manual and Sales Brochure.
    Sansui SR-525 Turntable With Orthophon Cartridge.
    Sansui SC-110 Cassette Deck with the Black Rack Handles ( I also have the Sansui Rack that the Components Mount into)

500.00 for all sansui gear

NAD 7030 Receiver 60.00
    Denon LA-3100 Laser Disc Player 100.00
    Pioneer CD-20 Laserdisc Player 50.00
    Kyocera CA-910CX CD Player 35.00
    Phillips CDI CD Player 35.00
    Onkyo DXC-340 6-disc Changer 60.00
    NAD 6040 Cassette Deck 15.00 no output

Pilot FM Tube Type Tuner 40.00 cute little tuner, gold in color and about 8"W,4"H, and 5"D

Dual 1645 Turntable with Custom Wood Oak Base and Shure Cartridge 50.00

Luxman CX-100 Class A Preamp
    Luxman CX-100 Poweramp, 140 watts per channel 500.00 both pieces

Yamaha CR-1020 Receiver 175.00

It looks like there will be other items as well and I will jot them down and relate back to you about those as well.

HWM
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2004
    Buy it all cheap, and work out the details later.

Don't ever visit someone with gear, without cash for gash.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by hotwheelman
    I
    Sansui AU-717 Intregrated Amp, 85 WPC, Black with Rack Mountable Handles, Dual power Supplies, Original Owners Manual and
    sales brochure.
    Sansui TU-517 Tuner, Black with the Rack Handles, Original Owners Manual and Sales Brochure.
    Sansui SR-525 Turntable With Orthophon Cartridge.
    NAD 7030 Receiver
    Kyocera CA-910CX CD Player
    Phillips CDI CD Player
    Pilot FM Tupe Type Tuner
    Dual 1645 Turntable with Custom Wood Oak Base and Shure Cartridge
    Luxman CX-100 Class A Preamp
    Luxman CX-100 Poweramp, 140 watts per channel

I edited out the stuff I would NOT worry about. On the Sansui peices, the tuner is world class, you should pick it up for yourself - pay less than $100 and be happy for that ONE peice. I just picked up a 717 yesterday, and this one I'm keeping for myself.

The Pilot tube tuna is another cool piece, but won't bring any real money on the bay. I have one, and wouldn't mind having a second if the price was right.

Any gruntball CDP's are good to have, but don't pay more than $20-$30 for em', no telling how many hours are on the laser assembly.

NAD receivers, ala 7030 will bring $125-$175 in the current market, if cosmetics are in good order.

Dual TT's are any easy sell, if cosmetics are good, and it has a working cart/stylus already installed. Dust covers are a HUGE plus. TT's are **** to ship.

Luxman gear has a great following, both in the states and overseas - try and low-ball him on these - the CX is a decent poweramp, try to bag it for $.50/watt.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Yup... nice collection and great advice about the money and the choicer items....

The Dual 1645 is not a model you see very often. Not sure I have ever seen one. Does not necessarily mean it is valuble, but few folks spend the coin for custom bases for trash TT's...

I would not mind playing with the Luxman gear myself...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • hotwheelman
    edited November 2004
    Got to go by yesterday, I will try to find some time tonight to post some prices. Forgot the freakin cam so I will try to bounce back by and snap some photos. Nice pieces, I think prices could be haggled a bit, just did not have enough time to talk poo.

HWM
  • hotwheelman
    edited November 2004
    Edited the list with prices.

Man I would love to have that luxman gear, it is in excellent condition and will make you drool.

The sansui gear is very nice also and the rack is a nice plus. I got to hear the sansui integrated on some two way kef's, they are not much in the bottom end dept. but do make up for it in the rest of the audio spectrum......very easy to listen to.

The amber pre that I was looing into DOES have an input for a t.t. and is a nice looking piece. He is asking 100 for it but I am hoping to do some trade for it, also is it worth that or should I bargain with him.

He has a denon 45f t.t. with a shure pro track 10 cart. and is asking 135 for it. It is in very good condition and if I had not already picked up one I would have worked him over for it.

Let me know if any of his asking prices are out of line, also if anyone is interested in anything let me know as I will help facilitate shipping as he will not ship anything, only local p.u.

Also if you want pics of anything let me know as I am planning another trip back out to demo some more of the gear.

HWM
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Definitely not bargain basement prices... at least not on the Luxman...

LUX
    PRE, CX-100
    Manufacture Years: 1997 - Current
    USED: $85.00

No listing for a CX-100 amp, but...
    LUX
    PWR, MX-100 DUO-BETA/S
    Manufacture Years: 1984 - 1985
    Power: 140
    Retail
    MSRP: $700.00
    USED: $160.00
    Audiogon average is $180...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• hotwheelman
    edited November 2004
    Thanks for the info bruce, I would love to see if I could do some trade for the luxman pieces, talk about eye candy. I think I will stick with the dyna pat for now for a pre.