WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pass in the house.

Options
crashb4
crashb4 Posts: 222
edited December 2017 in Vintage Speakers
Today I scored a Nelson Pass Adcom GFA-5800. Dirty as all get out and one leaking electrolytic, but in overall nice condition. Strapped it up and turned it loose on the SRS prior to opening it up. Bias is off as well as the DC offset, but WOW. Can't wait to do the cap work and get it in the system. Even in it's current state, it opened the speakers up. I can tell that it will drive them with authority. Merry Christmas to me.
Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
Post edited by crashb4 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Please, we are not AK, we don't do score.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• crashb4
    Options
    Sorry. Couldn't contain myself. Woo Hoo?
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    xushvid847da.jpeg
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• crashb4
    Options
    Ok. Spent the day cleaning and measuring. All is right, bias and offset confirmed. Lets give her a rip. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here up first. Holy expletive. I went from 200 watts and 230 damping factor to 400 watts and 1100 damping. The amp has incredible control of the drivers. I am fearing for my foundation. In addition, the harsh top end is gone. Obviously, the Rotel was the culprit. The highs are crystal clear and no fatigue what so ever. I've been looking for that since I got the speakers. Niel Young's Cortez the Killer sounds like the band is performing in front of you. Very involving and quite impressive. I ordered the replacement caps today and will start that next weekend. I figured I would do all caps on the boards. They are at the point where it's the right thing to do. Time for some Steely Dan. Back to it.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Please, we are not AK, we don't do score.

Very undignified of me. Beg your pardon.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,687
    Options
    "Post edited by crashb4 at 3:12PM"

Post still says "scored". :p

hgerio7jcrp7.jpg
  • crashb4
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

Post still says "scored". :p

Sorry all. For my penance, I will listen to The Wiggles, Fruit Salad three times.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited December 2017
    Options
    GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would this be better Jesse?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    You're forgetting the accent marks...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options

Ummm......no.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Nice score! I Keed!! I keed!!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,121
    Options

Ummm......no.

That shows a complete lack of appreciation of the art of Hispanic football (sorry, soccer) commentators. These guys are motivated, gifted and exhibit uplifting exuberance.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,453
    Options
    crashb4 wrote: »
    Post still says "scored"
    Sorry all. For my penance, I will toss The Wiggles Fruit Salad three times.
    This is your penance.
    But seriously, nice score.

Crap. It's spreading!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Uhhhhhhh....you said Nelson P-a$$....uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options

Ummm......no.

How about...

TOUCHDOWN VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!

This would be my personal favorite. :D:p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Post still says "scored"
    Sorry all. For my penance, I will toss The Wiggles Fruit Salad three times.
    This is your penance.
    But seriously, nice score.

Crap. It's spreading!

Crap is spreading ??
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Today I scored a Nelson Pass Adcom GFA-5800. Dirty as all get out and one leaking electrolytic, but in overall nice condition. Strapped it up and turned it loose on the SRS prior to opening it up. Bias is off as well as the DC offset, but WOW. Can't wait to do the cap work and get it in the system. Even in it's current state, it opened the speakers up. I can tell that it will drive them with authority. Merry Christmas to me.

No Pic's ??
  • Viking64
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »

No Pic's ??

He needs to score a camera first.
  • crashb4
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »

No Pic's ??

He needs to score a camera first.

Traded my SACD Wiggles collection for a camera.

xayj3lissbhv.jpg

rcdqyrgb94ac.jpg

4jf8hbcvh4d4.jpg

zibewp5bno7n.jpg

85eiac8e65op.jpg
  • Viking64
    Options
    What the crap is "Wiggles"?
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    edited December 2017
    Options
    What the crap is "Wiggles"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wiggles

0ju6whmggvgs.png
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Viking64
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • crashb4
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Does anyone have recommendations or experience on replacement caps for this application? I want to do this once and right. I have some in my cart on parts express, but I'm not sure they are the best quality for this.
  • msg
    Options
    What's that circled in red?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Options

That's a secret ISIS compound that has been targeted for annihilation. :p
  • crashb4
    Options

That is the electrolytic that leaked. It measures ok, but the amp is of the age that all of them should be replaced. I cleaned up the board to avoid further damage.
  • msg
    Options
    Is the leak the grayish brownish stuff at the bottom?
    How can you tell the difference between a leak and glue?

Re: capacitors, I vaguely recall Mundorf being one of the recommended brands for amps, but I've not recapped an amp yet, though, so I'm not even sure what's what. Pretty sure you can just solder in some D cell batteries.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options

That is the electrolytic that leaked. It measures ok, but the amp is of the age that all of them should be replaced. I cleaned up the board to avoid further damage.

Is that a nichicon fine gold? I have never seen one leak.
  • crashb4
    Options
    Yeah. The discoloration is the leak. It's not that bad, but needs to be addressed.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Nice find !!!

That thing is HUGE. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.